Should police departments require a 4 year college degree for employment?

Page 3 of According to a publication called "Police Quarterly," there is a public debate that has gone or for a some time over whether or not police de... 73 comments | 3116 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,352

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I don't know that I'd require it, but I think I would incentivize having a 4-year degree--to the point that the vast majority of officers would get one.
    I agree. Maybe make a degree preferable in hiring but not mandatory and adjust the pay grade incentivize non degree'ed officers to pursue a degree.

    However, I agree with Deuce, a full Police Academy may be a better option in the long run, I just have to think those would be incredibly expensive.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,352

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    I don't understand what a 4 year degree would do for a regular officer unless we make it a major ?
    To be fair, I would guess I use only about 10% of my college courses directly in my job but, I think many would say those other courses indirectly help me in rational thinking and such. Also, if you believe widely held view that only people of a certain intelligence level or higher could graduate from college, I have no doubt that many professions (including police departments that require degrees) use the requirement of a college degree as a way to weed out those not deemed intelligent enough. Not saying it is right, just I do think that is why many require a degree.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    IMO age of the officer is a bigger issue, than having a degree. I think there should be a minimum age requirement of 25, maybe even 30.

    Requiring a 4 year degree will exclude many of the Veterans just coming out of service who were MP's from getting a Civilian job, because they do not have a degree.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    Police are one of the few things that i'm willing to raise taxes for. Yes require a 4 year degree and yes raise taxes to make the job pay enough for 4 year graduates to take it.

    Why?

  5. #35
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,879

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    IMO age of the officer is a bigger issue, than having a degree. I think there should be a minimum age requirement of 25, maybe even 30.

    Requiring a 4 year degree will exclude many of the Veterans just coming out of service who were MP's from getting a Civilian job, because they do not have a degree.
    In a perfect world maybe.

    Physically speaking an officers shelf life on the road is limited and if you can't start until you are 30 many officers would be nearly 60 before they could retire and that is WAY too old to be working the road.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    In a perfect world maybe.

    Physically speaking an officers shelf life on the road is limited and if you can't start until you are 30 many officers would be nearly 60 before they could retire and that is WAY too old to be working the road.
    I think 25 is a good age, it allows for more maturity of the individual than the current 21.

  7. #37
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,879

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I think 25 is a good age, it allows for more maturity of the individual than the current 21.
    Not that I disagree with the maturity part, but many young men and women will find alternative employment if they have to wait that long. In other words, it will weaken the talent pool for police officers.

    Additionally, I trained a lot of young police officers, if your department does a good job with their hiring process, 21 is fine.

  8. #38
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,015

    Would it be cheaper to pay the criminals more? Then their incentive to do crime is reduced, and we can get by with fewer police officers. What if the government offered free drugs...isn't that the reason for a lot of crime?

    To the question: I don't get a feeling that there is a shortage of applicants, including those with degrees, applying for police jobs. So, other than in isolated urban areas, I don't think increased pay to draw in recruits is needed. In some urban areas...where warfare is soup of the day....combat pay may be needed to get the highest qualified candidates.

    I value education, and I value a degree, but I also think our economics associated with getting a college degree are really messed up right now. I would rather invest the money in cheaper cost of education than paying people more to pay more for education.

    Sorry....just my Friday ramblings...

  9. #39
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,488

    For everyone saying police aren't paid enough, they need more, raise taxes if necessary...I will ask how much should they make? It always seems like the PC thing to say is "cops, firefighters, teachers, ect..." don't get paid enough. How much is enough?

  10. #40
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,879

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    For everyone saying police aren't paid enough, they need more, raise taxes if necessary...I will ask how much should they make? It always seems like the PC thing to say is "cops, firefighters, teachers, ect..." don't get paid enough. How much is enough?
    Good topic for another thread.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Shang Ri La
    Posts
    2,769

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Why?
    A. The added maturity
    B. The added experience
    C. Apparently the added drop in abuse

  12. #42

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    A. The added maturity
    B. The added experience
    C. Apparently the added drop in abuse
    Maturity comes with age more than education IMO.
    I don't know what you mean by "experience."

    I'd be hesitate to read too much into that stat. We need much more info.

    Would a college grad make the community safer?

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    4 years of college does not equate to someone being better prepared for the job. There are some pretty ignorant college graduates out there as well as non college graduates.

    The Mayor of Baltimore is a college grad yet she doesn't even look close to being able to handle that job now.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Sep 13
    Location
    Shang Ri La
    Posts
    2,769

    By experience I mean
    A. life experience of meeting different types people and probably away from the place you grew up which will expand your viewpoint

    adding to my earlier post most "hot heads" and "gung ho" guys who love the idea of carrying a gun and a nightstick and telling people what to do will probably not go to college or make it through the 4 years to get a degree.

  15. #45
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,096

    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
    By experience I mean
    A. life experience of meeting different types people and probably away from the place you grew up which will expand your viewpoint

    adding to my earlier post most "hot heads" and "gung ho" guys who love the idea of carrying a gun and a nightstick and telling people what to do will probably not go to college or make it through the 4 years to get a degree.
    I hope you realize that the percentage of police officers that actually think that way are so low of a percentage that it's almost 0%.

Top