1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    10

    Default Is the Scott County AD hypocritical?

    A question for the posters to ponder:

    Is it hypocritical for the Scott County AD to be highly supportive of the public private split, while his basketball program attracts major league talented transfers and benefits in much the same way Trinity's and X's football programs do? Please make a solid argument as to your position.

    Hemlock anyone?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Registered User Covercorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    Definition of a STUDENT-ATHLETE
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    A question for the posters to ponder:

    Is it hypocritical for the Scott County AD to be highly supportive of the public private split, while his basketball program attracts major league talented transfers and benefits in much the same way Trinity's and X's football programs do? Please make a solid argument as to your position.

    Hemlock anyone?

    When have Trinity or St. X(or any other Private schools) Football programs benifited from any "major leauge talented transfers"?

  3. #3
    Premium Member Bosox1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner View Post
    When have Trinity or St. X(or any other Private schools) Football programs benifited from any "major leauge talented transfers"?
    I've closely followed Trinity (& by extension, St.X) since the early '70's & I sure don't remember any.

  4. #4
    Premium Member colonel-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minesota...
    Posts
    6,491
    Not sure, but Socrates may be equating transfers with freshmen who enroll at X or T (or LexCath for that matter) from middle schools that aren't "traditional" feeder schools.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 08
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    Not sure, but Socrates may be equating transfers with freshmen who enroll at X or T (or LexCath for that matter) from middle schools that aren't "traditional" feeder schools.
    Well done young pupil. Good analysis. Now tell me if you think Scott Co's administration is being hypocritical trying to separate the privates from the publics with the argument that schools like X and T are able to attract kids that attended public grade schools using the strength of their football programs while at the same time Scott Co. is benefitting immensely from kids wanting to transfer to Scott Co. because the success of that program and explain your reasoning. If its not wrong for parents/kids to select Scott County because of its basketball program after a bona fide move, why is it wrong for kids graduating from the 8th grade of public schools to have the freedom to choose a private school because the strength of its football program?

    Hemlock anyone?

  6. #6
    Premium Member sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    15,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    A question for the posters to ponder:

    Is it hypocritical for the Scott County AD to be highly supportive of the public private split, while his basketball program attracts major league talented transfers and benefits in much the same way Trinity's and X's football programs do? Please make a solid argument as to your position.

    Hemlock anyone?
    Very hypocritical.

  7. #7
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986
    I don't know Jim McKee personally, and he may be a great guy for all I know, but the situation described here hurts his credibility greatly.

  8. #8
    Premium Member Hearsay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Location
    W. 35th St. brownstone
    Posts
    9,920
    I'm not sure I follow.

    Jim's argument is that LexCath attracts kids from inside its much larger Diocesan jurisdictional limits that come from public schools in that territory, when those same public schools have only a much more limited territory to choose from themselves.

    Socrates, you seem to be arguing that Scott County's basketball team attracts "transfers" from outside jurisdictional limits because of the program's success, but that it is the same thing.

    I took only one logic course at Centre, but that seems like apples and oranges to me.

  9. #9
    Premium Member TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    A question for the posters to ponder:

    Is it hypocritical for the Scott County AD to be highly supportive of the public private split, while his basketball program attracts major league talented transfers and benefits in much the same way Trinity's and X's football programs do? Please make a solid argument as to your position.

    Hemlock anyone?
    Easy answer.....

    Hypocrite!!

  10. #10
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    10,488
    IMVHO the hypocrisy comes from those that will defend Scott County and the success they have had on the hardwood based largely on transfers while at the same time condemning private schools for their successes with kids that chose to go there.

    I promise you that had Euton opted to go to LexCath or LexChristian instead of Scott County the condemnation would have been swift and vocal. That's the hypocrisy that I see.

  11. #11
    Registered User strike-3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Opie ain't no rat!
    Posts
    4,882
    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    IMVHO the hypocrisy comes from those that will defend Scott County and the success they have had on the hardwood based largely on transfers while at the same time condemning private schools for their successes with kids that chose to go there.

    I promise you that had Euton opted to go to LexCath or LexChristian instead of Scott County the condemnation would have been swift and vocal. That's the hypocrisy that I see.
    Seems to me that there was a lot of people willing to condem the move. On this board I don't think that Scott Co. got off any easier than a private school would have.

  12. #12
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    6,104
    Quote Originally Posted by strike-3 View Post
    Seems to me that there was a lot of people willing to condem the move. On this board I don't think that Scott Co. got off any easier than a private school would have.
    I respectfully disagree. Scott County got off much easier than a private in the Bluegrass would have. If these kids had enrolled at Lexington Catholic, for example, shouting villagers with pitchforks and torches would have been trying to knock down the KHSAA office doors. No way Scott has incurred the same venom as the Knights would have. No darn way.

  13. #13
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986
    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Scott County got off much easier than a private in the Bluegrass would have. If these kids had enrolled at Lexington Catholic, for example, shouting villagers with pitchforks and torches would have been trying to knock down the KHSAA office doors. No way Scott has incurred the same venom as the Knights would have. No darn way.
    I would wholeheartedly disagree. Some public schools may not have incurred "the same venom," but Scott County does, given its history of high-profile transfers.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    9,141
    What does "hemlock" mean?

  15. #15
    Premium Member PepRock01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    14,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Larry View Post
    What does "hemlock" mean?

    Hemlock is a poison. The same poison that Socrates drank after having been sentenced to death by Athens.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    9,141
    Thank you, I guess he didn't have the "gifts of the Spirit" stated in Mark 16:15.

  17. #17
    Suspended thewaterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Deep in the 'woods
    Posts
    864
    I dont quite understand what you want Jim Mckee to do? Turn down kids from coming to his school? If recruiting can be proven than it would make it an obvious case of being hypocritical, what do you suggest he do? You obviously have a problem....so what is the solution?

  18. #18
    Administrator theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    100,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearsay View Post
    I'm not sure I follow.

    Jim's argument is that LexCath attracts kids from inside its much larger Diocesan jurisdictional limits that come from public schools in that territory, when those same public schools have only a much more limited territory to choose from themselves.

    Socrates, you seem to be arguing that Scott County's basketball team attracts "transfers" from outside jurisdictional limits because of the program's success, but that it is the same thing.

    I took only one logic course at Centre, but that seems like apples and oranges to me.
    That might be Coach McKee's argument but it holds zero water. Anyone in KY is free to attend T, X, Scott County, or any school for that matter. However, I understand Scott County CHOOSES to only accept students from Scott County.

    Again, in case anyone forgot, you can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-American.

  19. #19
    Premium Member thsrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by thewaterboy View Post
    I dont quite understand what you want Jim Mckee to do? Turn down kids from coming to his school? If recruiting can be proven than it would make it an obvious case of being hypocritical, what do you suggest he do? You obviously have a problem....so what is the solution?
    He needs to continue the hard work need to build up his Scott County football program so it can attract/draw better players, just as the basketball program attracts/draws players.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner View Post
    When have Trinity or St. X(or any other Private schools) Football programs benifited from any "major leauge talented transfers"?
    Cover, I think you are forgetting about Lex Cath's girls basketball program.

    Sorry, just realized it said football. And as always this has never JUST been a football issue for many throughout the state.

    And yes Scott Co AD is being hypocritical.