Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

  1. #1
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Santa Fe, TX High School Shooting 5.18.18

    Figured it deserved it owns thread.

    Reports are that there are multiple fatalities at a school shooting at a high school in Santa Fe, TX this morning.

    KHOU 11 News Houston
    @KHOU
    #KHOU 11 "Three sources telling me that at least 8 students are dead in today's Santa Fe ISD school shooting. More injured." - @JRogalskiKHOU
    10:54 AM - 18 May 2018


    When will it stop?

    At this point, the way our country handles and protects against this stuff is just insanity.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,692

    This is horrible...very little info so far.

    It is being reported that at least 8 have died and several others have been shot including a police officer.

    The suspect has been "Contained", not sure if that means he is captured, killed, shot or surrounded.

    This is sickening.

  3. #3
    archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    208

    The suspect and 1 other person of interest are contained.

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,999

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Figured it deserved it owns thread.

    Reports are that there are multiple fatalities at a school shooting at a high school in Santa Fe, TX this morning.

    KHOU 11 News Houston
    @KHOU
    #KHOU 11 "Three sources telling me that at least 8 students are dead in today's Santa Fe ISD school shooting. More injured." - @JRogalskiKHOU
    10:54 AM - 18 May 2018


    When will it stop?

    At this point, the way our country handles and protects against this stuff is just insanity.
    When the system decides to devote the resources to stopping it.

  5. #5
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,777

    I really don't know what can be done to stop this insanity. I just don't get what's causing all of this.

  6. #6
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Yikes....Just saw an interview with a student that was there. The interviewer asked if she thought, "There's no way this is actually happening, this isn't real." She said, no, it's been happening everywhere lately, so I just assumed at some point it'd eventually happen here.

    So incredibly awful and sad.

  7. #7
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,738

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    I really don't know what can be done to stop this insanity. I just don't get what's causing all of this.
    It's a combination of a lot of things....

    Mental health, bullying, unstable families, the need for attention, ease of access....There's no one thing.

    All I know is what we're doing now, is the very definition of insanity. It's clearly not working, yet we refuse to change things.

  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,999

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    It's a combination of a lot of things....

    Mental health, bullying, unstable families, the need for attention, ease of access....There's no one thing.

    All I know is what we're doing now, is the very definition of insanity. It's clearly not working, yet we refuse to change things.
    Right, "we" are doing the same thing over and over (NOTHING) and expecting a different result.

    It is INSANITY to the nth degree.

  9. #9
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,777

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    It's a combination of a lot of things....

    Mental health, bullying, unstable families, the need for attention, ease of access....There's no one thing.

    All I know is what we're doing now, is the very definition of insanity. It's clearly not working, yet we refuse to change things.
    I agree.

  10. #10
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,692

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    It's a combination of a lot of things....

    Mental health, bullying, unstable families, the need for attention, ease of access....There's no one thing.

    All I know is what we're doing now, is the very definition of insanity. It's clearly not working, yet we refuse to change things.
    Schools are changing all the time. Metal Detectors, School Resource Officers, Bullying Prevention, arming teachers/staff, renewed mental health focus in many systems...Schools all across the country are trying new things. Schools are also doing more emergency planning than ever before. The problem is, there is no one Silver Bullet to fix this problem.

  11. #11
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,692

    One answer may be to surround the school campuses with prison type fences and have all entrants (students, teachers, visitors) into the school searched each day.

  12. #12
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    29,777

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Schools are changing all the time. Metal Detectors, School Resource Officers, Bullying Prevention, arming teachers/staff, renewed mental health focus in many systems...Schools all across the country are trying new things. Schools are also doing more emergency planning than ever before. The problem is, there is no one Silver Bullet to fix this problem.
    True, but no one really seems to work hard enough to try to find good, agreeable, real solutions. I honestly don't know if there are any.

  13. #13
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,642

    NY Times report says male suspect in custody.

    The linked report also says a school resource officer is among the injured.

    Santa Fe, Texas, School Shooting: At Least 8 Dead and Suspect in Custody - The New York Times

  14. #14
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,692

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    True, but no one really seems to work hard enough to try to find good, agreeable, real solutions. I honestly don't know if there are any.
    I disagree, there are some schools and administrators out there working hard trying to find a balance between education and prison-like environment.

    Your second statement is correct, there will never be a 100% fix. If the schools are locked down then the next thing will be a school bus shootings...I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened already. Or shootings outside the school before the students reach the ring of security.

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,999

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    One answer may be to surround the school campuses with prison type fences and have all entrants (students, teachers, visitors) into the school searched each day.
    We already have a successful recipe for such security, it is called TSA at the airports.

Top