Religious Controversy at Danville High School Event

Page 9 of Originally Posted by Clyde We had one at Conner in 1981. It was in the gym. I remember the priest from my church being there along with the reverend fr... 151 comments | 7725 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,539

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Ok, back to my post from two days ago...

    Do Muslims believe in the Holy Trinity? Do they believe in Jesus? Do they believe Jesus was murdered on the cross but arose from the dead?
    Actually they do believe that Jesus was a prophet from God.

    The believe that he wasn't actually crucified but raised by God into God's presence.
    Advertisement

  2. #122
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    Didn't read every comment ( too many pages ) BUT if the muslim student seemed to take any shot at Christianity in her prayer I'd be very disappointed and upset . The speaker is free to express and praise/worship as they please , but that shouldnt include any disrespecting of other religions . Just as I wouldnt expect a Christian to go off on some ramble about why his or her religion is the only true religion . This service was not the time or place for that .
    None of that happened.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,539

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    Didn't read every comment ( too many pages ) BUT if the muslim student seemed to take any shot at Christianity in her prayer I'd be very disappointed and upset . The speaker is free to express and praise/worship as they please , but that shouldnt include any disrespecting of other religions . Just as I wouldnt expect a Christian to go off on some ramble about why his or her religion is the only true religion . This service was not the time or place for that .
    And no one did the above.

  4. #124
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    Didn't read every comment ( too many pages ) BUT if the muslim student seemed to take any shot at Christianity in her prayer I'd be very disappointed and upset . The speaker is free to express and praise/worship as they please , but that shouldnt include any disrespecting of other religions . Just as I wouldnt expect a Christian to go off on some ramble about why his or her religion is the only true religion . This service was not the time or place for that .
    This is what she said:


    "The senior is of the Muslim faith and, true to her faith, chose to read for her classmates a passage from the Quran in both Arabic and English, an excerpt which says, “In the name of God, the infinitely compassionate and merciful. Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds. The compassionate, the merciful. Ruler on the day of reckoning. You alone we do worship, and you alone we do ask for help. Guide us on the straight path, the path of those who have received your grace; not the path of those who have brought down wrath, nor of those who wonder astray.”

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    3,546

    Sounds OK to me .. I thought I read something , maybe inaccurately from the blogger that said the speaker questioned Christianity . No need to pile on

  6. #126
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    Actually they do believe that Jesus was a prophet from God.

    The believe that he wasn't actually crucified but raised by God into God's presence.
    So they don't believe the Bible.

  7. #127
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    Sounds OK to me .. I thought I read something , maybe inaccurately from the blogger that said the speaker questioned Christianity . No need to pile on
    The blogger is a close minded bigot who didn't understand a word the kid said and didn't bother to get a translation either.

  8. #128
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    This is what she said:


    "The senior is of the Muslim faith and, true to her faith, chose to read for her classmates a passage from the Quran in both Arabic and English, an excerpt which says, “In the name of God, the infinitely compassionate and merciful. Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds. The compassionate, the merciful. Ruler on the day of reckoning. You alone we do worship, and you alone we do ask for help. Guide us on the straight path, the path of those who have received your grace; not the path of those who have brought down wrath, nor of those who wonder astray.”
    Wow, so controversial. Guess there must've been some ululation involved that freaked some folks out.

  9. #129
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    So they don't believe the Bible.
    The fact that they have different scriptures than Christians doesn't change a single thing about the fact that Islam, Judaism and Christianity all derive their religious roots from the God of Abraham.

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,845

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post

    The fact that they have different scriptures than Christians doesn't change a single thing about the fact that Islam, Judaism and Christianity all derive their religious roots from the God of Abraham.
    I think the better question is whether or not he thinks Jews worship the same god as Christians since they clearly don't believe in the trinitarian doctrine.

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,539

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    So they don't believe the Bible.
    The Bible is not their Holy book. Just like the NT is not scripture for Judaism

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,402

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    From what I understand the kids aren't required to even go to the service. It is up to them if they choose to participate or not.
    I skipped mine. Fairly certain it was held in the gym.

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,402

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    The little girl had to leave school yesterday out of concerns for her safety.

    Her older brother did the exact same prayer three years ago at the same baccalaureate without any issues.
    Very sad...

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,402

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
    It's been around since my days in the Medieval Era.
    So you were there with mcpapa?

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,402

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    This is what she said:


    "The senior is of the Muslim faith and, true to her faith, chose to read for her classmates a passage from the Quran in both Arabic and English, an excerpt which says, “In the name of God, the infinitely compassionate and merciful. Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds. The compassionate, the merciful. Ruler on the day of reckoning. You alone we do worship, and you alone we do ask for help. Guide us on the straight path, the path of those who have received your grace; not the path of those who have brought down wrath, nor of those who wonder astray.”
    My guess is, she says the prayer only in English and a majority of the crowd doesn't even realize its from the Quran.

Top