Religious Controversy at Danville High School Event

Page 6 of Originally Posted by Clyde We had one at Conner in 1981. It was in the gym. I remember the priest from my church being there along with the reverend fr... 151 comments | 7725 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

    Quote Originally Posted by Cats3x View Post
    For the record I'm not against the Muslim prayer. However I do think that Christian activism or protest is treated differently than other groups in the US.
    False. Christians dominate the landscape in America and as soon as another religion is mentioned, given attention, etc. Christians feign outrage at the thought of another religion being present. That's what happens. Some of the Facebook posts were so astounding ignorant yesterday that it's amazing my head didn't explode. I lost some respect for some people yesterday as a result as it saddened me to see people I like and respect say such idiotic things. I've never in my life seen Christians not be allowed to express themselves whenever they want to. Especially at schools. I've seen athletic teams pray before, during and after games on school campuses. I've seen churches advertise and sponsor events on school campuses. I've seen pastors, deacons and youth group ministers come to school campuses and spread the Word. I've never seen a Christian be told they couldn't be a Christian.
    Advertisement

  2. #77

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    3,011

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    False. Christians dominate the landscape in America and as soon as another religion is mentioned, given attention, etc. Christians feign outrage at the thought of another religion being present. That's what happens. Some of the Facebook posts were so astounding ignorant yesterday that it's amazing my head didn't explode. I lost some respect for some people yesterday as a result as it saddened me to see people I like and respect say such idiotic things. I've never in my life seen Christians not be allowed to express themselves whenever they want to. Especially at schools. I've seen athletic teams pray before, during and after games on school campuses. I've seen churches advertise and sponsor events on school campuses. I've seen pastors, deacons and youth group ministers come to school campuses and spread the Word. I've never seen a Christian be told they couldn't be a Christian.
    In a lot of ways I agree with you. I guess my thing is that there is no middle ground for Christianity.

  3. #78
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

    Quote Originally Posted by Cats3x View Post
    In a lot of ways I agree with you. I guess my thing is that there is no middle ground for Christianity.
    No argument there. It's definitely from one extreme to the next.

  4. #79
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

  5. #80

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Cats3x View Post
    There aren't Muslim communities in America that actively discriminate against non-Muslims and in fact tell them to stay out of the communities? That isn't allowed to happen in the US today?
    What is your point? Who at this assembly discriminated againgst Christians. That has NOTHING to do w/ what happened at this event. You are taking an event that literally DID NOT happen in Danville and trying to squeeze it in here b/c you are looking to rationalize this blog posting. What this lady said was messed up. Quit trying to bring in facts that don't matter.

  6. #81
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,485

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Sure looks that way. Maybe she should have stayed for the remainder of the service and she might not look like a fool right now.

  7. #82
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    So, what I've gathered from this is that nothing happened and Facebook idiots are the problem. Nothing to see here.

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    3,011

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    What is your point? Who at this assembly discriminated againgst Christians. That has NOTHING to do w/ what happened at this event. You are taking an event that literally DID NOT happen in Danville and trying to squeeze it in here b/c you are looking to rationalize this blog posting. What this lady said was messed up. Quit trying to bring in facts that don't matter.
    I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I see problems in all aspects of this. While I do not agree with the sentiment of not honoring someone's own religious wants and wishes, I merely stated that i believe it may be different if the roles were reversed...in my opinion and from my limited life experience.

    Not condoning anything that was done. Never once said that. Bigotry should not be tolerated in this country. I think that tolerance should be universal, but often I think it is Christians who are demanded to show the most restraint. Not in all circumstances, obviously most holidays and celebrations are geared toward Christianity in this country. However, I think the gulf between what is acceptable and unacceptable Christians is wider than any other group in the US. It's either too much or too little, nothing in between.

    All in all, this is just my opinion. I respect yours, and ask that you do the same. Your experiences may be way different from mine.

  9. #84

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    I havent seen the facebook stuff, but can I gather correctly that this lady posted her opinion, and people disagreed with it? Thats pretty much all this is.


    Second question, why the need to have this type of event in the first place?

  10. #85

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Cats3x View Post
    I'm not trying to rationalize anything. I see problems in all aspects of this. While I do not agree with the sentiment of not honoring someone's own religious wants and wishes, I merely stated that i believe it may be different if the roles were reversed...in my opinion and from my limited life experience.

    Not condoning anything that was done. Never once said that. Bigotry should not be tolerated in this country. I think that tolerance should be universal, but often I think it is Christians who are demanded to show the most restraint. Not in all circumstances, obviously most holidays and celebrations are geared toward Christianity in this country. However, I think the gulf between what is acceptable and unacceptable Christians is wider than any other group in the US. It's either too much or too little, nothing in between.

    All in all, this is just my opinion. I respect yours, and ask that you do the same. Your experiences may be way different from mine.
    I agree with your premise. It is not cool to be proud of being a white male Christian. It just isn't. I am a white, male Catholic and proud of it. However, my point is that that is a debate for another time. It has little to nothing to do with what happened here.

  11. #86
    Jesse James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    10,228

    You can mention God all you want as long as you do not use Jesus. Thats the dividing line with Religions. Muslims and Jews and Christians all acknowledge God as does alot of other religions. Its just when you throw Jesus and the Bible in there it creates some issues with the Musilms and Jews, more so Muslims. You see the Bible is a divider of truth and lies. I agree you are either in or all out. The Bible states you must be born again. That is to accept Jesus is the son of God and was sent here to die for our sins. We must opening accept that and confess that before men. It also states very clearly that there is only one way to heaven and thats only through Jesus. Any other way is not going to make it. Hell is the destination of anyone who does not accept Jesus. So yes if talking about Christianity its either all in or out. Some are luke warm Christians who will not make it if you follow the teachings of the Bible.

    As for the outrage I can only guess that there are tons of people that do not take kindly to a Muslim prayer being offered in the Bible belt. Thats where we live. Im sure there are plenty of underlying issues they have with Muslims such as wanting to kill all the unbelievers( Christians, Jews etc) along with basically forcing Sharia law on everyone. Like I stated in another thread, ISIS is really the only Muslims who are going 100% with the Koran and the rest are luke warm Muslims. You all may not like my take but best I can tell this is truth as I see it and only my opinion on what I see and hear. Was it right or wrong? Ill not judge that as I am as far to the right Christian as they come and judgement is reserved for someone other than myself.

  12. #87

    Join Date
    Apr 15
    Location
    Candyland
    Posts
    815

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I havent seen the facebook stuff, but can I gather correctly that this lady posted her opinion, and people disagreed with it? Thats pretty much all this is.


    Second question, why the need to have this type of event in the first place?
    People called the school and complained and harassed board members and administration over it. To the point that there was a story about it in the paper today. A large majority of people loudly agreed with the bigot/idiot that is Angela Allen until the whole story was finally able to be told.

    Both Danville and Boyle County High Schools have baccalaureate services every year. Why? Don't know why. They just do it because they can.

  13. #88
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

    The little girl had to leave school yesterday out of concerns for her safety.

    Her older brother did the exact same prayer three years ago at the same baccalaureate without any issues.

  14. #89

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    18,414

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    The little girl had to leave school yesterday out of concerns for her safety.

    Her older brother did the exact same prayer three years ago at the same baccalaureate without any issues.
    That makes me so sad. I hope she knows that she did nothing wrong and there are tons of people who support her and wish her well.

  15. #90
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,542

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    That makes me so sad. I hope she knows that she did nothing wrong and there are tons of people who support her and wish her well.
    She knows this now as the school has come out in full in public support of her and their event.

Top