Proposal 20 Passed

Page 22 of Originally Posted by NKYBred I think a lot of people care and that's what drives this forum! Yes, but I personally feel some people have taken this iss... 522 comments | 15914 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #316
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,959

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan
    The AD from Lex Cath (I think) was interviewed on WKYT earlier.

    He suggested that a discrimination suit was in the works.

    I am not sure how a discrimination suit can be made when other states have separate state tournemants.
    Advertisement

  2. #317
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,523

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby's Best Friend
    Not necessarily you specifically. Just the private school supporters. Frankly there are so many posts at this point I dont even remember who is on which side.

    I didn't mean to infer you as much as just a general statement at those so adamently opposed.
    I went to one of 2 Public Schools in NKY that voted yes. And that School did so with very little logic behind it based on other school policies. I am always a BIG supporter of my school, but I can not agree here. It's weak...

  3. #318
    Deimos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 03
    Posts
    3,377

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby's Best Friend
    What is your definition of "Class"? Some people feel the privates are a "Class". Obviously football is not the only sport effected, but I'm merely pointing out that separating the championships would not diminish a title by Henry Clay just because they didn't beat a private school or different "Class" school.

    I don't believe the private school are their own class. And if they are, that is only because we have forced them into that corner. I graduated from a public school just last year. Sheldon Clark 05. Martin county born and raised. Well not born, but you get my picture.

    I know that Sheldon Clark will more than likely not face these far "superior," as many have named then, until deep into the playoffs in any sport. But knowing that all the way to the title, I faced, and beat the best competition the state of Kentucky had to offer, well, that meant a lot to me. Even though we never made it to those teams while I was there. We can argue about class A playing the 4A champ all we want, but we already have 4 different classes to crown 4 different class champs. Why would we want to label another class? That would just add more argument. No one from the private schools are saying that each title means less then the larger schools title. The fact is, taking out the private schools, you are taking out some of the best competition the state has to offer. Which then would make the title a little more lack luster in many eyes. But how much a state tittle means, in any sport, is only truly defined by the team that wins it. Each team takes something different away from winning a state title. Some teams may not care if they play the best to win it all. While others do. A true champion is defined by their own actions, and how they percieve the title through their own eyes. Well, these are my thoughts. A kid who just graduated, never having to compete against a private school for a title. But to know that at the time, I played the best we could, as hard as I could, well, you can't put a label on something like that.

  4. #319
    strike-3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Opie ain't no rat!
    Posts
    4,882

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    This will change nothing, except the name of the dominent teams in 4-A football, and some girls' championships. Most of the rest will remain the same. I guess someone else will win boy's swimming too, but the times will be a joke!!
    So, if you don't swim for a private school its impossible to get a good time? Wow that's a pretty arrogant statement. I realize that the private schools dominate the team swimming titles, but its pretty bold to say that their absence would prohibit any ahtlete from having a good swim. Someone should tell the U.S. Olympic committee not to bother looking at any public school athletes.

    LARGE private schools have some advantages over public schools, thats ok but it would be a lot easier to swallow if their fans weren't so arrogant and condensending.

  5. #320
    Tubby's Best Friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Ashland, KY, US
    Posts
    1,618

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Take X and T out RIGHT NOW, and HC's Title means the same???
    If HC's kids win a title, be it a state championship or district title, whatever alignment they are in, it should be celebrated and acknowledged. The players and coaches worked hard to get their kids in that position and deserve credit.

    My school routinely gets displaced in the playoffs by NKY in Class A. I used to dislike the Beechwood Tigers. But as I have traveled to Louisville the past 18 years and watched the state finals I have developed a great admiration for the red and white clad Tigers. I feel like in most years they were clearly better than the AA Champion. But that didnt make me feel that the AA Champion was not to be celebrated. The KHSAA aligns as they see fit and I respect that decision. So if they realign and make new championships then I will watch and celebrate Owensboro Catholics title in Private Class AA just as I would Belfry Public Class AA.

    I certainly dont think the public champion deserves a wooden yellow bellied shallow worthless trophy and O Cath a solid gold 10 foot statue.

  6. #321
    strike-3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    Opie ain't no rat!
    Posts
    4,882

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Beechwood has beaten a FIVE time 3A Champ for most of the last Decade...

    But I'd bet they can't beat St. X!

  7. #322
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,523

    Quote Originally Posted by strike-3
    But I'd bet they can't beat St. X!
    I'd bet there were a few years in the 90's I wouldn't count them out. That's one of the SMALLEST 1A schools in the state. They have the total number of boys in 9-12 as most 4A single classes. There is no using Beechwood in this debate...

  8. #323
    Tubby's Best Friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Ashland, KY, US
    Posts
    1,618

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    I went to one of 2 Public Schools in NKY that voted yes. And that School did so with very little logic behind it based on other school policies. I am always a BIG supporter of my school, but I can not agree here. It's weak...
    We can have differences of opinion and still be good pals. The thing that gets me here is that many take shots, vicious shots at publics over and over and honestly like has been stated before we are talking about athletics, it isn't something to get so extremely MAD about. I'm just trying to defend kids from publics and those that voted on either side what they chose. Players and Coaches and Administrators at both Pri/Pub schools work extremely hard regardless of wins and losses and most do what they feel is best for their schools and communities and it appears that many feel this is necessary from the public point of view.

    I do feel their is a disparity and something needed to be changed. Others disagree and thats fine too.

  9. #324
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,523

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby's Best Friend
    We can have differences of opinion and still be good pals. The thing that gets me here is that many take shots, vicious shots at publics over and over and honestly like has been stated before we are talking about athletics, it isn't something to get so extremely MAD about. I'm just trying to defend kids from publics and those that voted on either side what they chose. Players and Coaches and Administrators at both Pri/Pub schools work extremely hard regardless of wins and losses and most do what they feel is best for their schools and communities and it appears that many feel this is necessary from the public point of view.

    I do feel their is a disparity and something needed to be changed. Others disagree and thats fine too.


    With all the building tension, something did need to be done. I am 100% sure this wasn't it. I went head to head with public and private school kids in my day, and no matter the side, better competition made me better. I just can't agree with taking your ball and going home in such an irrational and jealous leaning fashion...

  10. #325
    Tubby's Best Friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Ashland, KY, US
    Posts
    1,618

    Quote Originally Posted by Deimos
    I don't believe the private school are their own class. And if they are, that is only because we have forced them into that corner. I graduated from a public school just last year. Sheldon Clark 05. Martin county born and raised. Well not born, but you get my picture.

    I know that Sheldon Clark will more than likely not face these far "superior," as many have named then, until deep into the playoffs in any sport. But knowing that all the way to the title, I faced, and beat the best competition the state of Kentucky had to offer, well, that meant a lot to me. Even though we never made it to those teams while I was there. We can argue about class A playing the 4A champ all we want, but we already have 4 different classes to crown 4 different class champs. Why would we want to label another class? That would just add more argument. No one from the private schools are saying that each title means less then the larger schools title. The fact is, taking out the private schools, you are taking out some of the best competition the state has to offer. Which then would make the title a little more lack luster in many eyes. But how much a state tittle means, in any sport, is only truly defined by the team that wins it. Each team takes something different away from winning a state title. Some teams may not care if they play the best to win it all. While others do. A true champion is defined by their own actions, and how they percieve the title through their own eyes. Well, these are my thoughts. A kid who just graduated, never having to compete against a private school for a title. But to know that at the time, I played the best we could, as hard as I could, well, you can't put a label on something like that.

    Excellent and heartfelt post. I agree with much you say. But I don't think privates and publics play under the same rules and thats where we have some differences.

    Much as people differ on whats best for Baseball. Should there be revenue sharing so that teams like the Yankees and Red Sox dont continue to dominate while the Pirates and Reds struggle each year to compete. So does this proposal address a potential situation.

  11. #326
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by strike-3
    So, if you don't swim for a private school its impossible to get a good time? Wow that's a pretty arrogant statement. I realize that the private schools dominate the team swimming titles, but its pretty bold to say that their absence would prohibit any ahtlete from having a good swim. Someone should tell the U.S. Olympic committee not to bother looking at any public school athletes.

    LARGE private schools have some advantages over public schools, thats ok but it would be a lot easier to swallow if their fans weren't so arrogant and condensending.
    Lighten up!! Just trying to make some sense of this absurdity. The main gripes of this whole thing are 4-A football, the Louisville girls' schools domination, and the private's domination of the "country club sports". No arrogance here--Just poking fun at the common misrepresentations of the supporters of prop 20, trying to make their case!!

  12. #327
    goherd96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,412

    Quote Originally Posted by strike-3
    So, if you don't swim for a private school its impossible to get a good time? Wow that's a pretty arrogant statement. I realize that the private schools dominate the team swimming titles, but its pretty bold to say that their absence would prohibit any ahtlete from having a good swim. Someone should tell the U.S. Olympic committee not to bother looking at any public school athletes.

    LARGE private schools have some advantages over public schools, thats ok but it would be a lot easier to swallow if their fans weren't so arrogant and condensending.

  13. #328
    Tubby's Best Friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Ashland, KY, US
    Posts
    1,618

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime


    I just can't agree with taking your ball and going home in such an irrational and jealous leaning fashion...

    That's one of the things though that you and I disagree on. Is it taking our ball and going home if there are separate championships? Like I said, St. X's title is just as precious as Hazard's. And nothing in this keeps St. X from playing Beechwood in the regular season. It just provides for more champions and more debate for BGP on whether Beechwood could beat Trinity or Leslie Co. could beat Owen. Cath. just like discussions we had in some previous posts.

  14. #329
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    [QUOTE=

    LARGE private schools have some advantages over public schools, thats ok but it would be a lot easier to swallow if their fans weren't so arrogant and condensending.[/QUOTE]

    Problem is I support a couple of SMALL private schools, who have no advantages over their public school rivals; but still get shafted by this emotional, knee-jerk reaction of some apparently gilted publics!!

  15. #330
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,523

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby's Best Friend
    That's one of the things though that you and I disagree on. Is it taking our ball and going home if there are separate championships? Like I said, St. X's title is just as precious as Hazard's. And nothing in this keeps St. X from playing Beechwood in the regular season. It just provides for more champions and more debate for BGP on whether Beechwood could beat Trinity or Leslie Co. could beat Owen. Cath. just like discussions we had in some previous posts.
    We are the state of THE Sweet 16! A small state that should be proud of a tradition of making ourselves better by not spreading ourselves thin to succede. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of this city boy from a working class public school. I didn't want to beat the best kids from CCH, St Henry, NCC, Brossart, HC, etc in the regular season. I wanted them when it counted. Same as the best from every public school kid I competed with as well...

Top