Proposal #1 - In regards to public schools

Page 5 of Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler I believe from what I have read 90% of the kids who participate in extra-curricular activities graduate from Hig... 158 comments | 4358 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    I don't understand why the public schools just don't lift their district restriction.
    What it boils down to here is that many inner city schools would be left out to dry. Many of the kids who cannot find a way to another school would have to stay in their inner city school. Much of what would be left in these schools would be those who don't care about education and are being forced to go to school. Good students would leave, good teachers would leave, and good administrators would leave.

    This would be disastrous.
    Advertisement

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by HHSDad
    I believe that public and private schools need to be held to the same standards. I don't think any of the proposals we've discussed do that. They need to find a middleground and apply it to all schools.
    I can buy that.

  3. #63
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    Are all public schools to be limited to 20 miles?
    That was my understanding of the rule, but I'm not sure if there are any public schools that are beyond the 20 mile limit anyway.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Again, we're losing focus. There aren't any proposals asking private schools to leave the KHSAA. Just separate the post seasons. Anyway, you're correct this is about the boundary rule. I don't understand why the public schools just don't lift their district restriction.

    I think the biggest bone of contention that could have ever been built into the Prop 20, was the designator "separate post-season". Why would the private schools WANT to play regular season games with the public schools, and then be relegated to a separate post-season?

  5. #65
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    For a public school or multiple schools within a public school district that do not have clearly defined boundaries, the "territory" of the school is the geographic boundaries of the entire school district.
    This is what it says about public schools without clearly defined boundaries.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    That was my understanding of the rule, but I'm not sure if there are any public schools that are beyond the 20 mile limit anyway.
    When you read the rule the limits don't apply to public schools. Public schools are limited to the boundaries of their district, UNLESS they have a reciprocal agreement with another district, then the limits don't apply there either. There is no radius limit.

  7. #67
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    I think the biggest bone of contention that could have ever been built into the Prop 20, was the designator "separate post-season". Why would the private schools WANT to play regular season games with the public schools, and then be relegated to a separate post-season?
    IMO, I'd want to schedule the Highlands, Boyle, Danville, Beechwood and Mayfield's of the world and beat the tar out of them every year. I wouldn't ever show mercy, than when they stop scheduling you, leave the KHSAA but set a precedence.

    Also, I think you'd be doing what everyone that's in favor of this proposal wants you to do.

  8. #68
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,542

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    The funny thing is, that we don't need the KHSAA as much as they think we do....
    I think you would be amazed at how hard it is to function outside of the KHSAA.

  9. #69
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,542

    BTW, Male and Manual would have all of Jefferson County to pull from under the proposal.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird
    BTW, Male and Manual would have all of Jefferson County to pull from under the proposal.
    I'm not a lawyer and I'm not in the know as far as legal stratgy, but I really see the outline of a MAJOR discrimination suit. Similarly situated public schools (no defined attendance zone) are to be treated one way, while private schools (overwhelmingly religious schools) are treated a different way. Students from religious based schools are prevented from taking part in the KHSAA championships. I really think that the cooler heads on the Board of Control will cut this off. If they don't, we'll have to make sure that our legislators know just how strongly we feel about this and the ballot box consequences of discriminating against our kids. I really think that the new rule that prevents teams from playing against teams that are not members of their state association and the fact that the KHSAA is a state sponsored organisation really strengthen our side. Restricting play to only members of state associations and then following it up with a move to kick us out of championship play looks like a calculated series of actions meant to cause irreparable harm to our schools. We don't have the option of walking out and continuing to play high school sports in Kentucky. Maybe we can pay for a new classroom wing with the settlement.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    What will be interesting is to see if there is any backroom negotiating on Proposal 1. Lets stay some folks look at the NKY private schools and say "they're so close together than this 20 mile radius will have no impact on them. Let's change it to 15. Who's with me?"

    That would be a big problem in my mind and it would make it seem punitive.

  12. #72
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,542

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    I'm not a lawyer and I'm not in the know as far as legal stratgy, but I really see the outline of a MAJOR discrimination suit. Similarly situated public schools (no defined attendance zone) are to be treated one way, while private schools (overwhelmingly religious schools) are treated a different way. Students from religious based schools are prevented from taking part in the KHSAA championships. I really think that the cooler heads on the Board of Control will cut this off. If they don't, we'll have to make sure that our legislators know just how strongly we feel about this and the ballot box consequences of discriminating against our kids. I really think that the new rule that prevents teams from playing against teams that are not members of their state association and the fact that the KHSAA is a state sponsored organisation really strengthen our side. Restricting play to only members of state associations and then following it up with a move to kick us out of championship play looks like a calculated series of actions meant to cause irreparable harm to our schools. We don't have the option of walking out and continuing to play high school sports in Kentucky. Maybe we can pay for a new classroom wing with the settlement.
    Lawsuits against vountary orgainizations are difficult birds as we have all witnessed in the past year.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Someone sent me a note that made me realize that Independent schools can suffer from this Proposal 1 as well. If your defined district is small (say Ft Mitchell or Ft Thomas) and a kid lives outside of that small district, it could be the impetus to send that child to either CCH or NC.

    Again, I would frown upon such an action but as Trinity Alum has told me - its a personal decision regardless of my feelings.

  14. #74
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    When you read the rule the limits don't apply to public schools. Public schools are limited to the boundaries of their district, UNLESS they have a reciprocal agreement with another district, then the limits don't apply there either. There is no radius limit.
    Ok I may be wrong with this and if so someone please correct me.

    to find the area of a circle you find the radius and square it then multiply it by pi (3.14)

    The proposal asks for a 20 mile radius.

    When I do this I get a 1256 square miles.

    The largest county in Ky is Cristian Co. which is 721 square miles. I don't know if there are any schools that combine counties, but this may be the largest county/public school in area.

    So there is no need for the 20 mile radius in public schools.

    (I looked all this up, even the radius formula)

  15. #75
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    I'm not a lawyer and I'm not in the know as far as legal stratgy, but I really see the outline of a MAJOR discrimination suit. Similarly situated public schools (no defined attendance zone) are to be treated one way, while private schools (overwhelmingly religious schools) are treated a different way. Students from religious based schools are prevented from taking part in the KHSAA championships. I really think that the cooler heads on the Board of Control will cut this off. If they don't, we'll have to make sure that our legislators know just how strongly we feel about this and the ballot box consequences of discriminating against our kids. I really think that the new rule that prevents teams from playing against teams that are not members of their state association and the fact that the KHSAA is a state sponsored organisation really strengthen our side. Restricting play to only members of state associations and then following it up with a move to kick us out of championship play looks like a calculated series of actions meant to cause irreparable harm to our schools. We don't have the option of walking out and continuing to play high school sports in Kentucky. Maybe we can pay for a new classroom wing with the settlement.
    Once again this is proposal 1 not proposal 20. Proposal 1 just wants to set boundries. Therefore no discrimination here.

    I am against prop 20 also.

Top