Proposal #1 - In regards to public schools

Page 3 of Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler I believe from what I have read 90% of the kids who participate in extra-curricular activities graduate from Hig... 158 comments | 4358 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    What do you think the sitting out a year is trying to do?
    To make kids that want to attend an out-of-district school be committed to that school and just not simply going there for athletics. Period.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    To make kids that want to attend an out-of-district school be committed to that school and just not simply going there for athletics. Period.
    Wrong. There are plenty of examples of part of the state where there is not a Catholic school in a 20 mile radius. If they make that exception for the rule or the closest private school to you, then I have no problem.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Wrong. There are plenty of examples of part of the state where there is not a Catholic school in a 20 mile radius. If they make that exception for the rule or the closest private school to you, then I have no problem.
    If a parent who does not have a Catholic school within 20 miles chooses not to send their child to a Catholic school SIMPLY because of the one-year sit rule is not the right candidate for a Catholic school. Period.

  4. #34
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    How does this rule apply to those sports that allow kids to play varsity below the high school level. (ie wreslting alows 7th and 8th grade students to wrestle varsity)

    Also, does this apply to Jv/freshman/middle school teams. If not then it will not affect many athletes.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    How does this rule apply to those sports that allow kids to play varsity below the high school level. (ie wreslting alows 7th and 8th grade students to wrestle varsity)
    They have to be in the defined district.

    Also, does this apply to Jv/freshman/middle school teams. If not then it will not affect many athletes.
    Grades 9 through 12 regardless of level of play.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    If a parent who does not have a Catholic school within 20 miles chooses not to send their child to a Catholic school SIMPLY because of the one-year sit rule is not the right candidate for a Catholic school. Period.
    How about you let us decide who is a good candidate for a Catholic school. If I want to use a Lear jet to fly my kid in every morning from Paducah, that is my business.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    How about you let us decide who is a good candidate for a Catholic school. If I want to use a Lear jet to fly my kid in every morning from Paducah, that is my business.
    What does the mode of transportation have to do with anything I've posted?

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    What does the mode of transportation have to do with anything I've posted?
    My point is that it is grossly discriminatory to a kid to ask them to sit out. How far the kid travels to school is nobodys business.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    What right does the state have to tell me as a parent where I can send my child. This thought process drives me crazy.
    That's what no one is really comprehending...

    People who don't have open enrollment are endorsing this as saying that we should change, while it is their own school board who has made the decision to stay in the prehistoric era.

  10. #40
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Does it take 2/3's of a vote for a proposal to pass or is it majority rules?

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    My point is that it is grossly discriminatory to a kid to ask them to sit out. How far the kid travels to school is nobodys business.
    It very well may be discriminatory. I'm not debating that.

    What I am trying to say to those who will put aside their hatred of the KHSAA is that if the ability to play sports your freshman year at a Catholic school is going to be the make or break factor, you're not going to the Catholic school for the right reason. Period. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    Exactly Cshs

  13. #43
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    How about you let us decide who is a good candidate for a Catholic school. If I want to use a Lear jet to fly my kid in every morning from Paducah, that is my business.

    Ohh come on now. KHSAA could say "how about you let us decide who is a good candidtate for participating in KHSAA"

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    Ohh come on now. KHSAA could say "how about you let us decide who is a good candidtate for participating in KHSAA"

    Isn't that essentially what's happening here?

  15. #45
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    My point exactly. KHSAA has set forth rules in which participating schools must obey. If a school does not want to follow those rules they have the option of not joining KHSAA.

    Is it right that an athlete who turns 19 on August 2nd cannot participate but that athlete who turns 19 on July 31st can? (I'm not exactly sure on the cut off date).

    Is it fair that an athlete cannot participate because he had an injury that caused him to miss school and be retained?

    There are several rules that can be argued, but they are set up to try and keep equality.

    I don't want to see the private schools leave, some of the restrictions are outlandish, but some make sense. You can't have the cake and eat it too forever.

Top