Private vs Public

Page 2 of Only 11 out of 128 schools that started the playoffs were private schools. Now that we are down to 32 teams, 8 in each class we only have 7 of those 11... 72 comments | 3348 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by swamp thang
    Let's have this same conversation when basketball season starts. Private schools are always wanting to level the playing court...LOL
    What is the breakdown in last year's basketball tournament??

    Are the stats lopsided in that sport as well...if not...WHY???

    The same perceveived disadvantages apply to all sports ....right????
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    What is the breakdown in last year's basketball tournament??

    Are the stats lopsided in that sport as well...if not...WHY???
    Generally, they don't seem to be. Basketball, because of its nature, is a little easier for smaller schools to compete with bigger schools. One or two really good players can make a team competitive with nearly anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    What is the breakdown in last year's basketball tournament??The same perceveived disadvantages apply to all sports ....right????
    Not all sports are created equal ...

    Football is much more numbers-intensive. Baseball is, too, to a certain extent. Success in some other sports (tennis, golf) are somewhat tied to affluence, the ability to afford the opportunity to learn and practice the sport.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Posts
    2,675

    The public schools have "dumbed down" academics. It appears that they want, with Proposition 20, to "dumb down" athletics. Somehow, I don't think this country was built of "dumbing down" but, then, this country wasn't built on social promotion, political correctness, and KERA.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Just curious when the dumbing down of academics actually occured vs. what other academic program?

  5. #20
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    So what should we do for all those public schools that (gasp)... get beat by other public schools. The field is not level. Oh MY!!!! What to do? It must be due to the winning team cheating in some fashion. A team cannot beat another team with out cheating, right?

  6. #21
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Generally, they don't seem to be. Basketball, because of its nature, is a little easier for smaller schools to compete with bigger schools. One or two really good players can make a team competitive with nearly anyone.
    Not all sports are created equal ...


    Football is much more numbers-intensive. Baseball is, too, to a certain extent. Success in some other sports (tennis, golf) are somewhat tied to affluence, the ability to afford the opportunity to learn and practice the sport.
    The argument has been that private schools can get more athletes because of recruiting, endless boundries, and specifically for X and T..sheer number of boys to choose from. If that was the case, wouldn't they dominate basketball because instead of having one or two good players, they would have a whole team?

    I agree with you a little on this...just a little. Football is number intensive, and baseball too. But my same point still exists...Why aren't X and T dominating baseball then? And I totally agree with your point on golf and tennis.

    I believe powerhouses are built on tradition. X and T have football traditions. The students and coaches understand that and want it to continue. How else can you explain 38,500 going to a regular season football game?

    Butler, PRP, Male have baseball traditions.

    Fairdale, Male were the dominate teams in basketball when I was in school.

    Size, boundries, and every other excuse you can think of did not stop the above public schools from dominating their sport. Those same excuses did not create the dominance of X and T in football....Its tradition

  7. #22
    GR8BigBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    620

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIDMANIAC
    I agree JC.Of the public schools left how many have open enrollment, allowing athletes from other counties, or even other STATES to attend school and participate in sports?This quite possibly is an even larger disadvantage to the schools that have to play with only the kids that live where the school is.
    Open enrollment in Jefferson County applies to Jefferson County. It is my understanding that these schools could all accept students from other counties and even state IF the student were able to pay tuition comparable to what it costs a county resident to attend that school. Very few take this opportunity and those that do are not paying to go to school in Jefferson County to play a sport for a public school. If a public school is ever proven to accept a student from outside of their respective county to play a sport and that student were not paying then we all have serious problems. If those students that choose to attend a public school to play a sport and have their money paid for them is yet another problem. A student that starts his/her freshman year at one school and is coerced to attend another school with all monies paid would be even another issue. We could go on and on and on. But I think all the scenarios and issues have been brought to light, it is just a matter of those that take advantage of these practices acknowledging that it DOES happen and it is a problem. Maybe a ten step program would help, "Hello, my name is ( fill in blank ) and I AM ................! LOL ! :fire: :flame: :mad:

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    I believe powerhouses are built on tradition. X and T have football traditions. The students and coaches understand that and want it to continue. How else can you explain 38,500 going to a regular season football game?
    I have made that point many times before. Trinity and St. Xavier place an emphasis on football, and the numbers accentuate that advantage.

  9. #24
    tigershark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    I have made that point many times before. Trinity and St. Xavier place an emphasis on football, and the numbers accentuate that advantage.
    Trinity and St. Xavier place an emphasis on the Individual and making that Individual better. Regardless of the activity, quick recall, speech and debate, cross country, wrestling, football, it doesn’t matter, The two schools have established a Tradition of being the Best, the very Best that Individual can be. If that means they have put an emphasis on Football, than you are correct, because the students at the two schools won't have it any other way.

  10. #25
    GRIDMANIAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    367

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbob
    The public schools have "dumbed down" academics. It appears that they want, with Proposition 20, to "dumb down" athletics. Somehow, I don't think this country was built of "dumbing down" but, then, this country wasn't built on social promotion, political correctness, and KERA.
    My sons attend public schools and the eldest has offers from Princeton! How dumb is that!The point is there is something for varying levels at public schools academically.If you want to argue against prop 20 fine, leave academics out of it!!!By the way I think ANY schools that have open enrollment have a decided advantage in sports because they can get the best athletes.I don't believe for one minute that the kids at some of the best private/open enrollment sports schools are going there for a better education as the first priority!

  11. #26
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIDMANIAC
    I don't believe for one minute that the kids at some of the best private/open enrollment sports schools are going there for a better education as the first priority!

    I did. That blows your theory out of the water.

  12. #27
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Gridmaniac Quote "I don't believe for one minute that the kids at some of the best private/open enrollment sports schools are going there for a better education as the first priority!"

    I did and when deciding where my kids where going to attend high school...I did a little research on the internet and found that KY public high schools were ranked 37th!
    Jefferson County schools scores were lower than the State average. Graduation rates and % of those who went on to college were much lower than the privates.

    I'm not saying that kids do not or can not be successful at a public school...or can not or will not graduate...I am just quoting facts about averages....I want to stack all the odds I can stack in my kids favor. Academics are the tools needed to make kids excel in life not sports. The odds are very very slim that your kid will make a career out of sports.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    Private schools are 14-2 against public schools in this year's playoffs. Two private schools were eliminated by other private schools, and one of the other two losses was in overtime at Danville.
    The record is now 19-2 ...

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Updated ...

    Private schools vs. public schools in the playoffs ... I'm putting Trinity and St. Xavier's records in parentheses to distinguish them from the rest ...

    2005 ... 19-2 (6-0)
    2004 ... 18-7 (6-1)
    2003 ... 15-8 (8-0)
    2002 ... 17-7 (7-1)
    2001 ... 16-7 (5-1)
    2000 ... 13-8 (6-2)
    1999 ... 12-7 (7-1)
    1998 ... 12-8 (4-2)
    1997 ... 20-5 (8-1)
    1996 ... 9-8 (4-2)
    1995 ... 11-6 (5-1)

    Totals ... 162-73 (66-12)

    Private schools overall ... 162-73 (.689)
    St. Xavier-Trinity ... 66-12 (.846)
    Other private schools ... 96-61 (.611)

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Posts
    262

    XMAN85:
    The argument has been that private schools can get more athletes because of recruiting, endless boundries, and specifically for X and T..sheer number of boys to choose from. If that was the case, wouldn't they dominate basketball because instead of having one or two good players, they would have a whole team?

    I agree with you a little on this...just a little. Football is number intensive, and baseball too. But my same point still exists...Why aren't X and T dominating baseball then? And I totally agree with your point on golf and tennis.

    I believe powerhouses are built on tradition. X and T have football traditions. The students and coaches understand that and want it to continue. How else can you explain 38,500 going to a regular season football game?
    XMAN85, I agree with everything you say, the tradition, the schools the alumni from X and T are awesome, all schools should use them as examples to pattern their schools and program. I have friends who are students and coaches at both schools and respect them all. But what I dont understand is with all these great aspects of these two schools why wont they level the number of kids to a more appropriate number relative to their competition.
    I almost expect these two schools because of their high morals and tradition would be the parties suggesting a solution to the difference in size as a gesture of good sportsmanship. I credit you XMAN85 for admitting that you agree at least a little on this being a problem, not many in your camp have stated as such.

    I think the X and T faithful have to question how great a victory is it to defeat a school with half as many students. Doesn't it just diminish the accomplishment to win when having such an advantage? How many times have you questioned your victories or heard others question it by saying "well they ought to win they have twice as many kids as the other team". All I keep hearing from most people in the X and T crowd is that the size advantage doesnt matter, if they truly believe that then why isnt it addressed and corrected?

    I think if my kids were in the private school system I would want this situation corrected to remove any doubt as to the fairness of the competition.

Top