Pikeville Independent Schools!

Page 3 of Originally Posted by thepurplepanther YES! The coach was furious, but he was told that tution has to be paid before school started. Again, I have first... 75 comments | 4851 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,310

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    The KHSAA has no rules against a student esblishing any schools as their home school coming out of the 8th grade. I think if you checked with most public systems they have a tuition rate for students attending who live outside of their tax base or they have a reciprical agreement to get the state money. A student entering the 9th grade can live in AnyTown, Kentucky, and attend any school he chooses and particiapte in athletics. A student could live in Floyd Co. and choose to attend Pikeville HS or Highland HS (would be quite a drive) or Morgan Co. HS or Somerset HS or Tates Creek HS.

    This is just so misunderstood.

    School boundaries in regards to athletics for entering 9th graders are established by local school districts, not the KHSAA. If your district is restricting incoming students and you don't like it, contact your local school district to complain. It is not a KHSAA guideline!

    Now, once the student establishes his home school, then if he transfers there must be a bonafide change of residence, etc. This applies to public and private schools equally.
    This needs to be backed up to 7th grade instead of 9th grade. Once students enter 7th grade of a school district they should have to sit out one year in athletics if they choose to attend another public school, if there is not a change of residence. That is, if they played varsity sports for the high school team.
    Some kids are great varsity athetes for their high school team when they are still in middle school. If they choose to attend another school their freshman year, however, there is no one year penalty. That's not right.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    TomSportsHack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Proudly flying the flag.
    Posts
    8,175

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    The KHSAA has no rules against a student esblishing any schools as their home school coming out of the 8th grade. I think if you checked with most public systems they have a tuition rate for students attending who live outside of their tax base or they have a reciprical agreement to get the state money. A student entering the 9th grade can live in AnyTown, Kentucky, and attend any school he chooses and particiapte in athletics. A student could live in Floyd Co. and choose to attend Pikeville HS or Highland HS (would be quite a drive) or Morgan Co. HS or Somerset HS or Tates Creek HS.
    On the same topic, a guy from Pikeville used to drive to Johnson Central 5 days a week because JCHS has a swim/dive team and no other school in this part of the state does.

  3. #33
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    OH NO!!! You don't think there would possibly be a double standard.

    BTW - how did Pikeville vote??? Against Prop 20.

  4. #34
    thepurplepanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    The Ville.
    Posts
    369

    As I understand it…..

    The public/private debate doesn’t' apply to Pikeville. Pikeville is a public school district for the students living inside its district lines. There is no selection or application process to see if you can attend school there. If you live inside the city limits it’s your school district. You only have to pay tuition if you live outside of that district bounds. The reason for this is that money from your property taxes doesn’t go to this school. For instance if you live in Betsy Layne and choose to send your son to Pikeville, you must pay tuition because your school property tax is being paid to Floyd County Schools and not Pikeville Independent.

    A private school is a school that has a selection application process. One you can choose to attend or not attend. A student is not required to attend school there. For instance, a private school in Eastern Kentucky is the Piarist School. Parents choose to send their children there and choose to pay tuition. This school receives no school tax money from any source.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    69

    What is your point purplepanther? Are you saying that each student should have his/her choice regarding which school to attend? Are you saying that open enrollment on Pikeville's part is different than that of a private school? The reason I ask is that many private schools have no selection process, just as you say that Pikeville doesn't. Most private schools only have a test to determine whether your academic abilities place you in honors courses or not, not whether you are eligible to attend or not.

    Also, Professor, moving this to 7th grade seems unAmerican regarding a family having the choice of high schools to attend when several schools are only 9-12 schools. Of course, anyone believing that ownership status exists by the local public school would not buy into the American way of freedom of choice, so it would be a moot point for them. If that is someone's belief then they have to apply that standard to the public schools as well as the privates and eliminate anyone paying tuition to attend Pikeville HS or Morgan Co. or Danville or Somerset, etc., if that student is "out of district".

  6. #36
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    The reason I ask is that many private schools have no selection process, just as you say that Pikeville doesn't. Most private schools only have a test to determine whether your academic abilities place you in honors courses or not, not whether you are eligible to attend or not.
    They don't have to take the discipline problems. I'm sure if the students had a discipline sheet 10 pages long the private school would not take them. (not a bad thing, but true)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    American way of freedom of choice.
    Then why don't we have the choice of not sending children to school.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    69

    Home-Schooling is legal.

  8. #38
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    Home-Schooling is legal.
    Why must we prove we are doing this? If we have freedom of choice.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    1,566

    Pikeville Independent had the 5th highest ACT test scores in the state this year and is always near the top in overall test scores. Pikeville Independent has been and continues to be one of the top academic systems in the state. It's easy to see why parents want their children to attend there.

  10. #40
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by Legaer28
    Pikeville Independent had the 5th highest ACT test scores in the state this year and is always near the top in overall test scores. Pikeville Independent has been and continues to be one of the top academic systems in the state. It's easy to see why parents want their children to attend there.
    Another Independent that will eventually be voted out. How dare you give a quality education and excel in athletics at the same time. Cheaters...

  11. #41
    RNCSportsaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Posts
    1,783

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    Why must we prove we are doing this? If we have freedom of choice.
    Because the people of America(though a representive government) have voiced that some education is needed for all people. You have the choice to pick the setting but some education is a must.

  12. #42
    thepurplepanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    The Ville.
    Posts
    369

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    What is your point purplepanther?
    My point is Pikeville Independent is not a private school.

  13. #43
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by RNCSportsaholic
    Because the people of America(though a representive government) have voiced that some education is needed for all people. You have the choice to pick the setting but some education is a must.
    This was a rebutle on Blitz post

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    Also, Professor, moving this to 7th grade seems unAmerican regarding a family having the choice of high schools to attend when several schools are only 9-12 schools. Of course, anyone believing that ownership status exists by the local public school would not buy into the American way of freedom of choice, so it would be a moot point for them. If that is someone's belief then they have to apply that standard to the public schools as well as the privates and eliminate anyone paying tuition to attend Pikeville HS or Morgan Co. or Danville or Somerset, etc., if that student is "out of district".

  14. #44

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    So can kids get scholarships to a school like Pikeville or have their tuition waived for any reason?

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    1,566

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1
    So can kids get scholarships to a school like Pikeville or have their tuition waived for any reason?
    No.

Top