Penn State Fan Writes Letter To Player

  1. #1
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,607

    Penn State Fan Writes Letter To Player

    Penn State fan sends racist letter to safety criticizing his dreadlocks - Sports Illustrated

    Dear Jonathan,

    My wife and I are proud ‘older’ graduates of Penn State. We follow all Penn State sports; football, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, basketball. We love it all. I played all the sports in my younger days; still played full-court basketball into my 50’s. Loved the competition but never had the size or talent to reach your level, though the desire was there! Though the athletes of today are certainly superior to those in my days; we miss the clean cut young men and women from those days. Watching the Idaho game on TV, we couldn’t help but notice your–well–awful hair. Surely there must be mirrors in the locker room! Don’t you have parents or a girlfriend who have told you those shoulder-length dreadlocks look disgusting and are certainly not attractive. We congratulate you on your game against Pitt, but you need to remember you represent all Penn Staters both current and alumni from years past. We would welcome the reappearance of dress code for athletes. You will certainly be playing 'on Sunday' in the future but we have stopped watching the NFL due to the disgusting tattoos, awful hair and immature antics in the end zone. Players should act as though they’ve ‘been there before.


    This is one of the most obvious forms of racism and entitled behavior from a fan that I’ve seen. This honestly doesn’t have anything to do with Penn State because every single fanbase in the country has fans that would have the same sentiments. It’s absolutely disgusting that someone would ever take the time the pen a letter like this. Again Penn State is just the subject of this, but it’s not a Penn State issue. The issue is fans who somehow believe that there opinion on what a football player should look and act like is somehow more important than the players who are actually out there on Saturdays.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,282

    Disgusting.

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,442

    That’s one of the least racist things I’ll probably see this week...

    Just the world we live in. People think they can say things like that and someone actually cares.

  4. #4
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,607

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    That’s one of the least racist things I’ll probably see this week...

    Just the world we live in. People think they can say things like that and someone actually cares.
    In the grand scheme of things, this doesn’t amount to that much. But it’s obviously extremely racially driven and since it’s related to sports it’s going to get more notoriety than most things.

  5. #5
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,607

    By the way a news station in Pennsylvania interviewed the man on the phone today and he doubled down on his statement and said he just doesn’t want Penn State looking like Miami or Florida State.

  6. #6
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    10,082

    I'm curious, so by using the description "dreadlocks", that makes it racist? Or is it the tone of the letter?

    I also think there should be some expectation college athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete. But, then again as I have mentioned on here in the past, I'm old school. That certainly isn't racist.

  7. #7
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,442

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    I'm curious, so by using the description "dreadlocks", that makes it racist? Or is it the tone of the letter?

    I also think there should be some expectation college athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete. But, then again as I have mentioned on here in the past, I'm old school. That certainly isn't racist.
    Complaining about someones dreadlocks is the same thing as calling a black dude a thug when you wouldn't call a white dude the same.

    How is wearing dreadlocks not conducting themselves as a representative of the institution?

  8. #8
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,131

    So a 75 year old out of touch white guy in rural Pennsylvania (not sure where he is from, but guessing here), pens a letter with racial undertones and we want to act shocked by this?

  9. #9
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    10,082

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Complaining about someones dreadlocks is the same thing as calling a black dude a thug when you wouldn't call a white dude the same.

    How is wearing dreadlocks not conducting themselves as a representative of the institution?
    NO NO deuce, I think you misunderstood my intention. Was it the dreadlock reference that made it racist or that fact the athlete is black with dreadlocks? And my reference to expecting athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete in dreadlocks or bald should not matter.

  10. #10
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,442

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    NO NO deuce, I think you misunderstood my intention. Was it the dreadlock reference that made it racist or that fact the athlete is black with dreadlocks? And my reference to expecting athletes conduct themselves as representatives of the institution for which they compete in dreadlocks or bald should not matter.
    Dreadlocks are a part of African American culture. So to point out that as to why the athlete may be making Penn State look bad is racist. I HIGHLY doubt that if there were a white player wearing dreadlocks this individual would have written to share his displeasure.

    How someone wears their hair, outside of some extreme or derogatory cut, is no representation of the institution whatsoever. Again, IMO.

  11. #11
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,533

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Dreadlocks are a part of African American culture.
    I wish white guys would wear dreadlocks instead of man buns.

  12. #12
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    10,082

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Dreadlocks are a part of African American culture. So to point out that as to why the athlete may be making Penn State look bad is racist. I HIGHLY doubt that if there were a white player wearing dreadlocks this individual would have written to share his displeasure.

    How someone wears their hair, outside of some extreme or derogatory cut, is no representation of the institution whatsoever. Again, IMO.
    Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, my apology. If the athletes are good representatives of their colleges, it does not matter if they have dreads or not in my opinion, Character and ability does not wear a hairstyle.

  13. #13
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,442

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I wish white guys would wear dreadlocks instead of man buns.
    I don't.

  14. #14
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,442

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly, my apology. If the athletes are good representatives of their colleges, it does not matter if they have dreads or not in my opinion, Character and ability does not wear a hairstyle.
    I agree completely.

  15. #15
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,533

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I don't.


    They worked okay for Johnny Depp in Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Top