NYPD Officer Shoots At Dog In Middle Of A Crowd

Page 2 of A group of police officers were attempting to arrest someone in the Brownsville neighborhood in Brooklyn. They had the wrong house. When they attempted... 70 comments | 2501 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 09
    Posts
    1,630

    Guy has to be a dog hater, we should riot.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,905

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Who's they? And do you think they always go for a gun in every situation or what?

    Otherwise, when "they" do go for a gun...Its probably because they're afraid someone is trying to kill them...wouldn't you say?
    "They" are the officers who decide to use a gun when a less lethal option would be more appropriate...

    Do you think the SC cop was afraid that gentleman was trying to kill him?

  3. #18
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,218

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Who's they? And do you think they always go for a gun in every situation or what?

    Otherwise, when "they" do go for a gun...Its probably because they're afraid someone is trying to kill them...wouldn't you say?
    I don't know. The SC cop shot the guy in the back because he was trying to kill him running away? Or the Oklahoma reserve that "mistook" his gun for a taser?

  4. #19
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,148

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post

    I have no idea whatsoever.
    The answer is no. The incidents you see on the internet are not the only incidents in the world where police interact with dogs.

  5. #20
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,148

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post

    I don't know. The SC cop shot the guy in the back because he was trying to kill him running away? Or the Oklahoma reserve that "mistook" his gun for a taser?
    Mistakes happen. Bad people become police. Both of those people were charged, and both are very rare. What's your point?

    Fwiw, neither automatically went for their guns though.

  6. #21
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,218

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Mistakes happen. Bad people become police. Both of those people were charged, and both are very rare. What's your point?

    Fwiw, neither automatically went for their guns though.
    You said when they go for their gun it's because they're afraid for their life. Just pointing out that's not always the case. Completely agree it's very rare.

  7. #22
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,148

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post

    You said when they go for their gun it's because they're afraid for their life. Just pointing out that's not always the case. Completely agree it's very rare.
    I said probably. Maybe I should have said usually.

  8. #23
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    I reached out to a police officer to get his take. He said they are authorized to use gun, pepper spray or taser to combat violent dogs. That being said, he also told me that he has had several owners release dogs on him and he has never had to shoot one.

  9. #24
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,078

    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoodfan View Post
    I would be curious to know from out BGP police officers...the dog was inside his home and got loose when police came to the door. He didn't look particularly aggressive, but even if he was, can the police shoot a dog like that? The dog is doing what he is supposed to do. On the other hand, no one wants an officer hurt either.
    Not sure what that means, "the dog was doing what he supposed to do?" When let out he is supposed to go jump on strangers?

    If he was being aggressive, yes they can shoot a dog like that.

    I'm not defending the actions of the officer or condemning them...just asking about the dog.

  10. #25
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Not sure what that means, "the dog was doing what he supposed to do?" When let out he is supposed to go jump on strangers?

    If he was being aggressive, yes they can shoot a dog like that.

    I'm not defending the actions of the officer or condemning them...just asking about the dog.
    I'm guessing if that is an inside dog in New York City it probably isn't used to being outside without a leash. He was excited, he jumped up on a stranger. That's pretty much what dogs that don't get loose very often do. I didn't see anything aggressive about its actions at all--certainly nothing that warranted the officer taking a shot at it in the middle of a crowd. Especially given the fact that they were responsible for the dog being loose anyway.

    You said you weren't defending or condemning the actions of the officer. So do you think his actions were justified?

  11. #26
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,078

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    I'm guessing if that is an inside dog in New York City it probably isn't used to being outside without a leash. He was excited, he jumped up on a stranger. That's pretty much what dogs that don't get loose very often do. I didn't see anything aggressive about its actions at all--certainly nothing that warranted the officer taking a shot at it in the middle of a crowd. Especially given the fact that they were responsible for the dog being loose anyway.

    You said you weren't defending or condemning the actions of the officer. So do you think his actions were justified?
    When I go to the door I control my dog, not sure why these people didn't when they heard the knock on the door.

    That said, Just from the video it doesn't look like it should have been shot.

  12. #27
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    When I go to the door I control my dog, not sure why these people didn't when they heard the knock on the door.

    That said, Just from the video it doesn't look like it should have been shot.
    The 2 articles that I read said that the officers were trying to force their way into the house so I'd say it was not as simple as controlling the dog when someone knocked. Turned out to not even be the correct house.

  13. #28
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,218

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    The 2 articles that I read said that the officers were trying to force their way into the house so I'd say it was not as simple as controlling the dog when someone knocked. Turned out to not even be the correct house.
    That can't be legal can it?

  14. #29
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    That can't be legal can it?
    It said that they were there to make an arrest for an earlier incident. Surely they had a warrant or at least probable cause to do so--they just had the wrong house.

  15. #30
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    When I go to the door I control my dog, not sure why these people didn't when they heard the knock on the door.

    That said, Just from the video it doesn't look like it should have been shot.

    What about opening fire with that many people around?

Top