NKYFL Fine for Scrimmaging Covington Catholic Youth Programs

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    3

    NKYFL Fine for Scrimmaging Covington Catholic Youth Programs

    The NKYFL has implemented a new rule for the 2017 season. If a NKYFL team scrimmages a team from the CovCath youth program the NKYFL team will be fined $1,000 by the league.

    A scrimmage between two 6th grade teams looking to get better on a Wednesday has be canceled due to the new rule.

    Can someone please explain to me how that makes NKY football better? Is this the best thing for the kids?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    131,550

    Welcome aboard @4th&1

    Are you sure this is correct?

    Is there anyone here associated with the NKYFL that would like to give us the reasoning here?

  3. #3
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,873

    Easy to explain. You want to scrimmage a NKYFL join the league.

  4. #4
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,873

    CovCath Youth league has a lot of kids who used to play for the Spartans and Dixie Raiders. Dixie is no longer playong because of numbers and the Spartans lost a lot of the kids.

  5. #5
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    522

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Easy to explain. You want to scrimmage a NKYFL join the league.
    First sentence is correct. Second sentence should read, "Programs like Covington Catholic Youth are dismantling the NKYFL and forcing teams to fold entire divisions."

  6. #6
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    131,550

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Easy to explain. You want to scrimmage a NKYFL join the league.
    If that is the NKYFL's position, this is my Unofficial Official Vote of NO CONFIDENCE for the NKYFL.

    Seriously whoever is in charge, if that is your thinking you have no business leading children.

  7. #7
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,873

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    If that is the NKYFL's position, this is my Unofficial Official Vote of NO CONFIDENCE for the NKYFL.

    Seriously whoever is in charge, if that is your thinking you have no business leading children.
    When another leagues team cherry picks kids from your league?

  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    131,550

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    When another leagues team cherry picks kids from your league?
    Leagues (or schools for that matter) don't own kids and their parents. This is America, we are Free, we choose. Leagues and Schools don't choose for us.

  9. #9
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,133

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    CovCath Youth league has a lot of kids who used to play for the Spartans and Dixie Raiders. Dixie is no longer playong because of numbers and the Spartans lost a lot of the kids.
    Pardon the long post, but I'm going to go on record saying that issue goes WAY back, and the fault rests squarely on the shoulders of the old guard of the NKYFL. For a long time, and prior to many of the new teams like the Bandits, the Eagles, and the Tomahaks being on the scene, many (most) of the NKYFL team districts very closely resembled the high school districts around Northern Kentucky. They weren't 100% exact, but man were they awfully darn close.

    Dayton Roadrunners = Dayton High School
    Bellevue Tigers = Bellevue High School
    South Kenton Nittany Lions = Simon Kenton High School
    Newport Firefighters = Newport High School
    Ft. Mitchell Spartans = Beechwood High School
    Dixie Raiders = Dixie Heights High School
    Erlanger Lions = Lloyd High School
    Ludlow Panthers = Ludlow High School
    Ft. Wright Bengal Tigers = Holmes High School (-ish)
    Campbell County Red Devils = Campbell County High School (-ish)

    The fact was, those teams were de facto feeder systems for those high schools. The coaching staffs on numerous of the teams were made up of former high school players, former assistant coaches, and past/present high school player parents of the high schools into which they essentially fed their players....except they just didn't really ever seem nearly so interested in including of the former players/coaches/parents from the area's private high schools.

    That's where the problem started: the NKYFL had these "team guys" who were coaching Ludlow HS football to Ludlow Youth players, Bellevue HS football to Bellevue Youth players, Dixie Heights football to Dixie Raiders players, and so on. Take it a step further, now you have a lot of parents of future Cov Cath students and future New Cath students who begin to perceive that their youth league children aren't getting the same shot at playing time as the kids on their team who are going to be headed to play ball at the public high school when they get a little older.

    Anyway, the immediate pushback - particularly on the Kenton County side of things - was that you suddenly have parents trying to push hard to get Cov Cath to start up a youth team of their own. NKYFL says no dice on a Covington Catholic youth team. So then the parents ask Cov Cath to start their own version of the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. At that point (late-80s / early-90s) Cov Cath football coach Lynn Ray and Cov Cath athletic director Mike Guidugli were not interested in the effort required to start an entire youth league, so the push got no traction and things continued on as normal around the NKYFL.

    Fast forward to the late-00s, and there are now a handful of middle schools around Northern Kentucky that have started a developmental middle school football league around NKY. Cov Cath parents get wind of that, and with the help of new Coach Dave Brossart, Covington Catholic starts up their new Colonel Youth Football team to compete in the middle school league. Interest is so strong that immediately Cov Cath has so many players signed up that they are actually fielding a two teams...one of all 7th graders, and one of all 8th graders. Both CYF teams are competing in the middle school league's 7th/8th grade combined division, and instantly the Spartans and Raiders see their senior division numbers take a steep plunge.

    CYF maintained multiple scheduled games every year against youth teams in Cincinnati's GCYL, and were eventually invited by the GCYL to become a full member in their league...which would allow CYF to expand to compete in divisions designed for players from 3rd through 8th grade. So now CYF is going to be drawing players away from NKYFL teams all the way from midget up to senior divisions.

    NKYFL's solution? If you can't beat 'em...fine your teams for scrimmaging 'em.

  10. #10
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,873

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Pardon the long post, but I'm going to go on record saying that issue goes WAY back, and the fault rests squarely on the shoulders of the old guard of the NKYFL. For a long time, and prior to many of the new teams like the Bandits, the Eagles, and the Tomahaks being on the scene, many (most) of the NKYFL team districts very closely resembled the high school districts around Northern Kentucky. They weren't 100% exact, but man were they awfully darn close.

    Dayton Roadrunners = Dayton High School
    Bellevue Tigers = Bellevue High School
    South Kenton Nittany Lions = Simon Kenton High School
    Newport Firefighters = Newport High School
    Ft. Mitchell Spartans = Beechwood High School
    Dixie Raiders = Dixie Heights High School
    Erlanger Lions = Lloyd High School
    Ludlow Panthers = Ludlow High School
    Ft. Wright Bengal Tigers = Holmes High School (-ish)
    Campbell County Red Devils = Campbell County High School (-ish)

    The fact was, those teams were de facto feeder systems for those high schools. The coaching staffs on numerous of the teams were made up of former high school players, former assistant coaches, and past/present high school player parents of the high schools into which they essentially fed their players....except they just didn't really ever seem nearly so interested in including of the former players/coaches/parents from the area's private high schools.

    That's where the problem started: the NKYFL had these "team guys" who were coaching Ludlow HS football to Ludlow Youth players, Bellevue HS football to Bellevue Youth players, Dixie Heights football to Dixie Raiders players, and so on. Take it a step further, now you have a lot of parents of future Cov Cath students and future New Cath students who begin to perceive that their youth league children aren't getting the same shot at playing time as the kids on their team who are going to be headed to play ball at the public high school when they get a little older.

    Anyway, the immediate pushback - particularly on the Kenton County side of things - was that you suddenly have parents trying to push hard to get Cov Cath to start up a youth team of their own. NKYFL says no dice on a Covington Catholic youth team. So then the parents ask Cov Cath to start their own version of the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. At that point (late-80s / early-90s) Cov Cath football coach Lynn Ray and Cov Cath athletic director Mike Guidugli were not interested in the effort required to start an entire youth league, so the push got no traction and things continued on as normal around the NKYFL.

    Fast forward to the late-00s, and there are now a handful of middle schools around Northern Kentucky that have started a developmental middle school football league around NKY. Cov Cath parents get wind of that, and with the help of new Coach Dave Brossart, Covington Catholic starts up their new Colonel Youth Football team to compete in the middle school league. Interest is so strong that immediately Cov Cath has so many players signed up that they are actually fielding a two teams...one of all 7th graders, and one of all 8th graders. Both CYF teams are competing in the middle school league's 7th/8th grade combined division, and instantly the Spartans and Raiders see their senior division numbers take a steep plunge.

    CYF maintained multiple scheduled games every year against youth teams in Cincinnati's GCYL, and were eventually invited by the GCYL to become a full member in their league...which would allow CYF to expand to compete in divisions designed for players from 3rd through 8th grade. So now CYF is going to be drawing players away from NKYFL teams all the way from midget up to senior divisions.

    NKYFL's solution? If you can't beat 'em...fine your teams for scrimmaging 'em.
    Fort Thomas Youth plays in the NKYFL league.

    Teams in the league
    Bellevue Tigers
    Campbell County Youth
    Dayton Greendevils
    Grant County Tomahawks
    Ludlow Panthers
    Newport Wildcats
    Spartans
    Taylor Mill Eagles
    WV Bearcats
    Bengal Tigers
    Erlanger Lions
    CC Red Devils
    NKY Bandits
    SK Nittany Lions
    Union Raiders
    Boone County Little Rebels
    Union Little Jaguars
    Fort Thomas Youth

  11. #11
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,133

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Fort Thomas Youth plays in the NKYFL league.

    Teams in the league
    Bellevue Tigers
    Campbell County Youth
    Dayton Greendevils
    Grant County Tomahawks
    Ludlow Panthers
    Newport Wildcats
    Spartans
    Taylor Mill Eagles
    WV Bearcats
    Bengal Tigers
    Erlanger Lions
    CC Red Devils
    NKY Bandits
    SK Nittany Lions
    Union Raiders
    Boone County Little Rebels
    Union Little Jaguars
    Fort Thomas Youth
    Do they compete in the league, or with the league? The NKYFL site doesn't list FTJFL on their site.

    Regardless, FTJFL hasn't always competed with NKYFL.

  12. #12
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    131,550

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Fort Thomas Youth plays in the NKYFL league.

    Teams in the league
    Bellevue Tigers
    Campbell County Youth
    Dayton Greendevils
    Grant County Tomahawks
    Ludlow Panthers
    Newport Wildcats
    Spartans
    Taylor Mill Eagles
    WV Bearcats
    Bengal Tigers
    Erlanger Lions
    CC Red Devils
    NKY Bandits
    SK Nittany Lions
    Union Raiders
    Boone County Little Rebels
    Union Little Jaguars
    Fort Thomas Youth
    The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.

  13. #13
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    29,133

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.

  14. #14
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    131,550

    Before we get too far down the road, can anyone else confirm or deny that this is true?

  15. #15
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,873

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Do they compete in the league, or with the league? The NKYFL site doesn't list FTJFL on their site.

    Regardless, FTJFL hasn't always competed with NKYFL.
    Senior teams are with the league. The age teams have not officially joined but are filling in on some games.

Top