Minn public elem school does away with all holidays and other days

Page 4 of Originally Posted by #99 This is America, therefore we celebrate American holidays. Go to a foreign country for schooling and see if they celebrate any... 111 comments | 3408 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,280

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    Very true.

    Another reason to send your kids to Catholic schools! They'll never cut Christmas out of their curriculum.
    Every community doesn't have Catholic schools and all parents can't afford it, if there is one.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Wouldn't the examples I gave fit "Distractions" you mentioned in the the first quote here from you.

    The reason for wanting to end these celebrations is because it may leave "Some Students" out...sports leave out more students from school activities than the number upset over Valentines Day.
    I disagree for the "reason." As I said, the real reason IMO is that they want to avoid the backlash when they celebrate holidays from those that are not "real Americans."

  3. #48
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,280

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I disagree for the "reason." As I said, the real reason IMO is that they want to avoid the backlash when they celebrate holidays from those that are not "real Americans."
    If that's the reason, which it may be, I agree. But, I'm not sold that is the reason.

  4. #49
    MayfieldFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    1,105

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    Yeah but this isnt a Muslim country and we should celebrate our American heritage. If they dont like it then be silent, it lasts a whole day. let the Muslims be tolerant.
    We shouldnt be celebrating any holiday in America other than our own that we have for generations.
    We should celebrate our "American" heritage. July 4th, Veterans day, etc. We should not celebrate, in public schools, any religious holidays.

  5. #50
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,320

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    None of those are analogous.
    Disagree.

    Kids are being "left out".

    I guess you would use the argument for a school trip over Spring Break that costs the parents and is on a first come first serve basis.

    The poorer kids that parents can't afford it are being "left out".

  6. #51

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    If that's the reason, which it may be, I agree. But, I'm not sold that is the reason.
    What else could it be?

    Even if you say they don't want to offend the minority it still all gets back to what I claimed.

    Minority complains and says "well if you're going to celebrate .... then you need to celebrate our traditions as well."

    Avoidance.

  7. #52
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,853

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    If you don't like things here, why don't you go back? Your ancestors were immigrants at one point too.
    Every decade we should make up new rules and guidelines since we're constantly changing?

  8. #53
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,320

    Quote Originally Posted by MayfieldFan View Post
    We should celebrate our "American" heritage. July 4th, Veterans day, etc. We should not celebrate, in public schools, any religious holidays.
    Are you OK with not having to work on religious holidays?

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    621

    This is America, therefore we celebrate American holidays. Go to a foreign country for schooling and see if they celebrate any holidays other than their own! Ask them to recognize one of our holidays and see what kind of response you get! But here in America or politicians and gov and school leaders would rather cater to the minority than the majority! So you take our holidays out of the classroom because a few don't celebrate them.... But they will still celebrate their own at home or wherever. If you don't want to be a part of American heritage, then why did you come here?

  10. #55
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,853

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    We agree on Thanksgiving. It's US history. I'm referring to every other "holiday" that schools celebrate.
    Presidents' Day is the 15th, that should immediately be crossed off I suppose. Why should the new wave of immigrants have to observe American history?

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    621

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I disagree for the "reason." As I said, the real reason IMO is that they want to avoid the backlash when they celebrate holidays from those that are not "real Americans."
    There again, avoiding backlash from a few, but not the majority.

  12. #57

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Presidents' Day is the 15th, that should immediately be crossed off I suppose. Why should the new wave of immigrants have to observe American history?
    America history is an easy one. It is to be taught. Not sure why we are debating that.

    The issue to me is irrelevant holidays.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by #99 View Post
    There again, avoiding backlash from a few, but not the majority.
    So? What would your argument be for celebrating "traditional" holidays but not those holidays celebrated by the "other" tax-paying families?

  14. #59
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,280

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    What else could it be?
    Grandstanding by another "Educator" saying, "Look at me"

  15. #60
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,853

    Quote Originally Posted by #99 View Post
    This is America, therefore we celebrate American holidays. Go to a foreign country for schooling and see if they celebrate any holidays other than their own! Ask them to recognize one of our holidays and see what kind of response you get! But here in America or politicians and gov and school leaders would rather cater to the minority than the majority! So you take our holidays out of the classroom because a few don't celebrate them.... But they will still celebrate their own at home or wherever. If you don't want to be a part of American heritage, then why did you come here?
    Because the radical jihadist are forcing them out, they can't police their own, they rather come to a save haven, then turn it into their culture and the left signs off on it.

Top