Lexington Catholic Football/Baseball to face sanctions.

Page 2 of I am a supporter of private schools. I own several parcels of real estate and pay an extremely material amount of taxes to the public schools. I also p... 94 comments | 5051 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GRIDMANIAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    367

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza
    I know that what's MANY are thinking...one get's caught and now it can be said "see all those catholic schools do it."
    I firmly believe that ANY school that break the rules should be punished....Private or Public!! I do know that rules are broken in our state by schools....Private AND PUBLIC....BOTH are WRONG to do this!
    I do think it is much easier to track down a private school that is breaking the rules due to tuition....in the public system breaking the rules can me much harder to prove BUT it does happen.

    Taking no shot at you.
    Stating a point that rules are broken on both sides of the fence!!!!
    BRAVO T.D.!It goes on all over the state! Schools don't have to be private to cheat,all they have to do is have open enrollment.Some privates recruit ,some don't. some publics recruit,some don't.That is precisely why I believe IF there is going to be reclassing it should'nt be just for privates alone.Schools that allow anyone to attend regardless of residence should be separated from those that allow ONLY students from their school district.I have said on another post that a possible solution is to multiply enrollment by1.5 the actual number, thus moving schools up one class.The really big schools would'nt be affected but it would perhaps level the playing field in the rest of the classes.Maybe we could arrange a multi-state championship for the St. X's And Trinity's! wouldn't it be exciting to play a team from another state for a championship! I would definitely pay to see that!
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Hilltopper2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 04
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,594

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    Like all private supporters my take is and has always been if there are rules violations then the offenders should be punished. That has now happened but I doubt it will be enough to appease the whiners.
    Saying I told you so is not whining, its all the excuses that is whining. I'm not sure who was the happiest this week, Terrell Owens when he saw Donovan McNabb throw the game losing interception and then get knocked on his rear end or me when I heard about these sanctions!

  3. #18
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIDMANIAC
    BRAVO T.D.!It goes on all over the state! Schools don't have to be private to cheat,all they have to do is have open enrollment.Some privates recruit ,some don't. some publics recruit,some don't.That is precisely why I believe IF there is going to be reclassing it should'nt be just for privates alone.Schools that allow anyone to attend regardless of residence should be separated from those that allow ONLY students from their school district.I have said on another post that a possible solution is to multiply enrollment by1.5 the actual number, thus moving schools up one class.The really big schools would'nt be affected but it would perhaps level the playing field in the rest of the classes.Maybe we could arrange a multi-state championship for the St. X's And Trinity's! wouldn't it be exciting to play a team from another state for a championship! I would definitely pay to see that!
    Why should you separate open enrollment when it is an option to EVERYONE???

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltopper2005
    Saying I told you so is not whining, its all the excuses that is whining. I'm not sure who was the happiest this week, Terrell Owens when he saw Donovan McNabb throw the game losing interception and then get knocked on his rear end or me when I heard about these sanctions!
    Point out one excuse.

    I don't recall anyone who supports a public school ever saying anything other then if there are violations then the offenders should be punished. Since I like to be well informed please point those excuses out to me.

    And for the record I am not saying that "I told you so" is whining (a little classless but not whining), the whining comes from those that say that the sanctions and enforcement of existing rules is not enough.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIDMANIAC
    Schools that allow anyone to attend regardless of residence should be separated from those that allow ONLY students from their school district.
    I agree 100% with Gametime, why punish schools with open enrollments when ALL schools can have open enrollment right now? It's their choice not to do so. It also should be a choice that a parent can send their kids to ANY school they want, and not have the kids extra curricular activities suffer.

    There is a reason many people cross district boundaries to attend another school, and it's not just about sports either.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    I am a supporter of private schools. I own several parcels of real estate and pay an extremely material amount of taxes to the public schools. I also pay, in my opinion, a disproportionate amount of income taxes to both the federal and state governments- much of which goes to public education. Clearly, I pay several times as much in taxes to the public schools each year as I formerly paid in tuition to a private school.
    There are a lot of "needy" students in the public schools- many athletes. They obviously benefit greatly, directly and indirectly, from my tax dollars. Therefore, I am, in reality, providing tuition, books, transportation, food, clothing, health care (including, I'm sure, "care" that I find morally corrupt), etc. to many students, many athletes, in the public schools. I get absolutely nothing from the public schools.
    On the other hand, according to KHSAA, I cannot do the same for students in the schools that I do support- the private schools.
    I find the term "level playing field" insulting.

  7. #22
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    All fine. However, which school seems to be the #1 target of those that are making accusations of improprieties?


    As I stated earlier...Private.....and as I also stated...easier to catch the privates due to tuition, etc...
    Please don't try to convince me that things do not happen in the public schools because then I would have to fall out of my chair AGAIN
    I could tell you things that would make your head spin about some "honest" public schools

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Scoutin for SCIT's in the Hills and #MHFGA
    Posts
    5,834

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    I get absolutely nothing from the public schools.
    That's your choice. You make it sound like it's not available to you. By the way, I am a supporter of both.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    Tdyballgame, your post is the typical public school response. Of course, public schools were available to me. I chose better. Fords and Chevrolets are available to me but I choose better. Of course, I am also not forced to financially support FMC or GMC.
    Using your argument, couldn't we say that those who attend public schools in poor areas- such as Owsley County and other rural counties, could attend schools in much more affluent areas? They are, indeed, available to them. However, they choose to remain in poverty when all they have to do is move. Certainly this is a flawed argument. However, it is as applicable as is your post.
    Many in these forums argue that private schools are isolated in that they have few, if any, needy students. They point out that the public schools have no choice and are filled with these students. Since this is somewhat the case, I would submit that, by punishing needy students who wish to attend a private school, you are perpetuating the situation.
    You do not dispute that many needy public schools students (many athletes), are subsidized by tax dollars from both public school supporters and by private school supporters. Why not lessen the load on the public schools by allowing those of us who are financially able and so inclined to assist needy students (some of them athletes) in receiving a private school education? Wouldn't both benefit?

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 03
    Location
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Posts
    162

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    Tdyballgame, your post is the typical public school response. Of course, public schools were available to me. I chose better. Fords and Chevrolets are available to me but I choose better. Of course, I am also not forced to financially support FMC or GMC.
    Using your argument, couldn't we say that those who attend public schools in poor areas- such as Owsley County and other rural counties, could attend schools in much more affluent areas? They are, indeed, available to them. However, they choose to remain in poverty when all they have to do is move. Certainly this is a flawed argument. However, it is as applicable as is your post.
    Many in these forums argue that private schools are isolated in that they have few, if any, needy students. They point out that the public schools have no choice and are filled with these students. Since this is somewhat the case, I would submit that, by punishing needy students who wish to attend a private school, you are perpetuating the situation.
    You do not dispute that many needy public schools students (many athletes), are subsidized by tax dollars from both public school supporters and by private school supporters. Why not lessen the load on the public schools by allowing those of us who are financially able and so inclined to assist needy students (some of them athletes) in receiving a private school education? Wouldn't both benefit?
    How benevolent of you to take the "financially challenged", but atletically gifted off the public schools hands.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    Tdyballgame, your post is the typical public school response. Of course, public schools were available to me. I chose better. Fords and Chevrolets are available to me but I choose better. Of course, I am also not forced to financially support FMC or GMC.
    Using your argument, couldn't we say that those who attend public schools in poor areas- such as Owsley County and other rural counties, could attend schools in much more affluent areas? They are, indeed, available to them. However, they choose to remain in poverty when all they have to do is move. Certainly this is a flawed argument. However, it is as applicable as is your post.
    Many in these forums argue that private schools are isolated in that they have few, if any, needy students. They point out that the public schools have no choice and are filled with these students. Since this is somewhat the case, I would submit that, by punishing needy students who wish to attend a private school, you are perpetuating the situation.
    You do not dispute that many needy public schools students (many athletes), are subsidized by tax dollars from both public school supporters and by private school supporters. Why not lessen the load on the public schools by allowing those of us who are financially able and so inclined to assist needy students (some of them athletes) in receiving a private school education? Wouldn't both benefit?
    The bolded is your opinion. Pendleton County High School produced a Nobel Prize winner in science. Any other KY high school, private or public, done that.

    From the article,

    Stevens said coaches had nothing to do with the violations, which occurred in the administrationís handling and supervision of financial assistance to students.

    One of the reasons that it is hard to catch recruiting violations is that it is not usually done by coaches.

  12. #27
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    I am a supporter of private schools. I own several parcels of real estate and pay an extremely material amount of taxes to the public schools. I also pay, in my opinion, a disproportionate amount of income taxes to both the federal and state governments- much of which goes to public education. Clearly, I pay several times as much in taxes to the public schools each year as I formerly paid in tuition to a private school.
    There are a lot of "needy" students in the public schools- many athletes. They obviously benefit greatly, directly and indirectly, from my tax dollars. Therefore, I am, in reality, providing tuition, books, transportation, food, clothing, health care (including, I'm sure, "care" that I find morally corrupt), etc. to many students, many athletes, in the public schools. I get absolutely nothing from the public schools.
    On the other hand, according to KHSAA, I cannot do the same for students in the schools that I do support- the private schools.
    I find the term "level playing field" insulting.

    What you do for the private schools is a choice, taxes are paid by everyone (in theory). Because you choose not to take advantage of the public schools is your choice, is not a reason to complain.

    As far as Lex Cath getting penalized.....well I am not in the least surprised. I knew it would not be one of the bigger more politically connected schools from Louisville. I guess what is boils down to is some school had to be the sacrificial lamb, and Lex Cath drew the short straw. Being a catholic myself....sorry about the "sacrificial lamb" although it does fit. One paying for the sins of all.........

  13. #28
    Cardinal Rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Posts
    647

    Isn't Bridgette Devries a graduate of Lexington Catholic? Has she excused herself from the investigation and sanctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gohard
    Here is a copy of the Lex. Cath. press release regarding the KHSAA findings. It can be found on their website.


    Lexington, Kentucky - LEXINGTON CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL HAS RECEIVED COMMISSIONER DEVRIESí RULING ALLEGING VIOLATIONS OF BYLAW 10 FROM INFORMATION THAT THE SCHOOL WILLINGLY PROVIDED TO THE KHSAA. THE SCHOOLíS MISSION STATEMENT REQUIRES LEXINGTON CATHOLIC TO HELP FAMILIES WHO ARE ALREADY ENROLLED IN THE SCHOOL WHO ENCOUNTER SIGNIFICANT PERSONAL DIFFICULTIES. WHILE OUR MISSION HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HELPING OUR LEXINGTON CATHOLIC FAMILIES WHEN THEY ENCOUNTER HARDSHIP SUCH AS LOSS OF JOB, LOSS OF PROPERTY, OR LOSS OF LIFE, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INFLUENCING STUDENTS TO PLAY ATHLETICS. IN FACT, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC PROVIDES THIS SAME FINANCIAL AID TO FAMILIES OF NON-ATHLETES AS WELL. IN ALL BUT ONE OF THE CITED VIOLATIONS, THE AWARD OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE MID YEAR WAS DONE ANONYMOUSLY. IN THE REMAINING CASE, ALTHOUGH NOT DONE ANONYMOUSLY, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC MADE THE AWARD IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS MISSION AND NOT TO RECRUIT OR MAINTAIN A STUDENT ATHLETE IN THE SCHOOL. IF THOSE ACTIONS CONFLICTED WITH A PROVISION OF THE KHSAA, IT WAS INADVERTENT AND THE SCHOOL APOLOGIZES FOR IT. NEVERTHELESS, LEXINGTON CATHOLIC TAKES COMMISSIONER DEVRIESí RULING VERY SERIOUSLY AND HAS ALREADY IMPLEMENTED PROCEDURES AT THE SCHOOL TO ASSURE STRICT COMPLIANCE WITH THE BYLAWS OF THE KHSAA.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    Tdyballgame, your post is the typical public school response. Of course, public schools were available to me. I chose better. Fords and Chevrolets are available to me but I choose better. Of course, I am also not forced to financially support FMC or GMC.
    Using your argument, couldn't we say that those who attend public schools in poor areas- such as Owsley County and other rural counties, could attend schools in much more affluent areas? They are, indeed, available to them. However, they choose to remain in poverty when all they have to do is move. Certainly this is a flawed argument. However, it is as applicable as is your post.
    Many in these forums argue that private schools are isolated in that they have few, if any, needy students. They point out that the public schools have no choice and are filled with these students. Since this is somewhat the case, I would submit that, by punishing needy students who wish to attend a private school, you are perpetuating the situation.
    You do not dispute that many needy public schools students (many athletes), are subsidized by tax dollars from both public school supporters and by private school supporters. Why not lessen the load on the public schools by allowing those of us who are financially able and so inclined to assist needy students (some of them athletes) in receiving a private school education? Wouldn't both benefit?
    Your position is extremely flawed and biased to suggest public education is available, yet can do better. Better than Highlands, Beechwood, Holmes IP, Louisville Male to name just a very, very few? Care to clarify?

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    Highlands Guy: You must still be feeling the sting of the whipping your boys took from LexCath. However, don't you think your remark about gifted athletes is like the pot calling the kettle black?

    Ladiesbballcoach: I congratulate Pendleton County on its Nobel winner. All schools should have some achievement of significance. I'm glad you have one.

    Thunderstruck: You are quite correct. I did choose not to take "advantage" of the public school option. You are also correct in that LexCath is the sacrificial lamb. The Lexington area public schools have been crying over their inability to compete against LexCath for a long time. I suppose they were finally pacified. However, I hope you are not implying that it is the sacrificial lamb for only the private schools. While we are not without "sin" (so to speak), surely no one thinks that the public schools have hands that are any cleaner.

    SilverShadow: I knew I would hear from you because you are the "chief counsel" for the public schools. I probably shouldn't have stated that I "chose better" because, rather than considering my real thesis, you and others took the "knee jerk" reaction of coming to the defense of your favorites. But, then, that is what "chief counsels" do, isn't it?

    For All: Many of you public school people complain that we private school people pick and choose our students so as to avoid the natural problems faced by the public schools. Of course we do. We don't want your problems. Nonetheless, if we had the same "funding rights" as do you, we would bring in a goodly number of your needy students. After all, our misson statements, our private accrediting agencies, and our individual philosophies require that we reach out in this manner. However, we are handcuffed because, sin of sins, we just may assist a student who also happens to be an athlete.
    If we could operate as do the public schools in this "funding of the needy", it would be of benefit to both camps. However, of more importance, it would benefit needy students. Of course, the cynical public school people will counter that we will only take athletes. History shows that that is not correct. Nonetheless, the level of distrust (in both directions) is so great that peace will never exist unless, of course, we agree to "adjust" so that the public schools can have their fantasy of a self-defined "level playing field". And, of course, we will all be required to continue to endlessly pour our money into the public schools.

Top