Lawsuit: Central HS football coach forced player to walk 1/2 mile in his underwear

  1. #1
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,532

    Lawsuit: Central HS football coach forced player to walk 1/2 mile in his underwear

    Lawsuit claims Central H.S. football player was forced to walk half-mile in underwear | WDRB

    The lawsuit, brought against JCPS and various Central High School administrators & staff including football HC Marvin Dantzler, AD Ryan Bringhurst and principal Raymond Green, claims that Central head football coach Marvin Dantzler instructed an assistant coach to remove a 16 year old football player away from warm-ups on August 24th. The player went back to the locker room as instructed, and then returned to the field and asked Coach Dantzler if he could talk. Coach Dantzler refused any discussion, and when the player continued to question the coach, Dantzler responded by telling the player that he didn't have to explain anything, and instructed the player to take off all of his equipment, call his parents, and have them take him home.

    The student then removed his equipment as instructed by Coach Dantzler, which left him in an undershirt and underwear, and walked back to the locker room, a distance of approximately a half-mile.

    The lawsuit is asking for unspecified damages.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    17,572

    Saw this too. Wow!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 18
    Posts
    167

    I am not quite sure what to make of this. Being dismissed from practice for misconduct (which we aren't sure what the player did or is accused of) is one thing, but letting a teenager walk half naked in downtown Louisville.... nope.

  4. #4
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,126

    If true, Coach ought to be shown the door yesterday.

  5. #5
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,407

    Nothing in that suggests to me that the coach made him take his equipment off on the field.

  6. #6
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,532

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Nothing in that suggests to me that the coach made him take his equipment off on the field.
    That was my thought after I read through that a couple of times. I'd be curious to see if there's any more specific language in the complaint regarding what conversation or even what gestures took place between Dantzler and the player during the discussion about taking off the equipment.

    I'm sure that will turn into a point of argument when this gets to the courtroom.

  7. #7
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,547

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Nothing in that suggests to me that the coach made him take his equipment off on the field.
    Coach could/should have stopped him, if he didn't mean for him to take the equipment off on the spot, as soon as he started to pull his pants down.

  8. #8
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,407

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Coach could/should have stopped him, if he didn't mean for him to take the equipment off on the spot, as soon as he started to pull his pants down.
    He could have, but that doesn't mean he forced him to do it...

    Forcing a kid to strip to his underwear and allowing him to do so are two totally different stories.

  9. #9
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,407

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    That was my thought after I read through that a couple of times. I'd be curious to see if there's any more specific language in the complaint regarding what conversation or even what gestures took place between Dantzler and the player during the discussion about taking off the equipment.

    I'm sure that will turn into a point of argument when this gets to the courtroom.
    If they can't prove he forced him to do it on the field, there's no case. Short of the coach physically taking the equipment off of him, I think any decent lawyer could beat that.

  10. #10
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,294

    I'm not seeing much in there that warrants a lawsuit.

  11. #11
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,547

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    He could have, but that doesn't mean he forced him to do it...

    Forcing a kid to strip to his underwear and allowing him to do so are two totally different stories.
    It will be interesting to see how this comes out and what the facts are. After watching the 30 for 30 on Bobby Knight and see how college-age players were afraid to question the coach or even tell the truth when asked specific questions about him...no doubt a 16 year old kid could have felt intimidated enough to take the equipment off on his own. The coach wouldn't have to strip it off of him personally to be at fault.

    Hopefully the truth comes out and either the coach is booted or the player and family are called out for creating a false narrative here because the kid was a disgruntled player.

  12. #12
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,407

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this comes out and what the facts are. After watching the 30 for 30 on Bobby Knight and see how college-age players were afraid to question the coach or even tell the truth when asked specific questions about him...no doubt a 16 year old kid could have felt intimidated enough to take the equipment off on his own. The coach wouldn't have to strip it off of him personally to be at fault.

    Hopefully the truth comes out and either the coach is booted or the player and family are called out for creating a false narrative here because the kid was a disgruntled player.
    I think it's going to be very tough to prove that coach was at fault enough to warrant a lawsuit.

  13. #13
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,547

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    I think it's going to be very tough to prove that coach was at fault enough to warrant a lawsuit.
    Even if they can't prove that he forced him to strip on the spot, the coach was the Adult in the situation and shouldn't have let it go that far.

    Hardest thing will be getting a current player or coach to testify against the coach if he indeed tell the kid to strip on the spot.

    Bad thing for the coach is that it will be hard to prove that he didn't do it either.

  14. #14
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,602

    One thing that's odd, why wait until the season is over for this to come out? This happened at the end of August. We're now in December. Almost 3 months ago.

    Two things; It's either true or the parents are needing some extra money.

    I don't see how the player can have physical evidence other than telling his parents what the coach done. Wouldn't the coach have the entire team on his side?

  15. #15
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,547

    Quote Originally Posted by All State Baseball View Post
    One thing that's odd, why wait until the season is over for this to come out? This happened at the end of August. We're now in December. Almost 3 months ago.

    Two things; It's either true or the parents are needing some extra money.

    I don't see how the player can have physical evidence other than telling his parents what the coach done. Wouldn't the coach have the entire team on his side?
    Entire team said Bob Knight never choked Neil Reid too...until years later.

Top