LA Evacuee is Ruled Ineligible to Play for Holy Cross

Page 5 of I'm on the fence here. My question is, why can't the kid go to Holmes if he really wants to play football? If it's not about football, than don't play ... 114 comments | 6676 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud


    Thats about as clear as it gets. All you guys backing the KHSAA know what this kid has had to go through. If football is his outlet , he should not be denied it. He lost everything, and now we won't let the kid play football.

    Why because a bunch of public school advocates don't care about kids anymore just about winning. I doubt HC cares if he is the worst or best football player ever. They are doing this to help a kid in a struggle. Period.
    Stud, your passion and compassion are commendable. I think what LABS is trying to say is that if you let this kid play despite written rules that forbid him from playing, what about the next kid with a painful situation? Who decides what level of devastation gets a waiver? What level of "pain" gets a waiver?

    While you and I may not think about that when looking at this sad case, the KHSAA MUST look at it. Compassion says that kid should play. I'd let him play but I don't then have to worry about setting a precedent for future cases that could (as we've seen) end up in court and cost lots of money.
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    Stud, your passion and compassion are commendable. I think what LABS is trying to say is that if you let this kid play despite written rules that forbid him from playing, what about the next kid with a painful situation? Who decides what level of devastation gets a waiver? What level of "pain" gets a waiver?

    While you and I may not think about that when looking at this sad case, the KHSAA MUST look at it. Compassion says that kid should play. I'd let him play but I don't then have to worry about setting a precedent for future cases that could (as we've seen) end up in court and cost lots of money.
    There were written rules they lifted to allow the kids to play at public schools it is unfair to lift some rules to benifit public schools, but so o and by the way were not lifting this rule that will allow you to attend a public school.

    By this ruling they are basically declaring you can come to KY and play sports as long as you play for a public schools. Which is unfair and wrong anyway you spell it.

  3. #63
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi
    The KHSAA is obviously looking at the legal precedent. Some things may be settled on a case by case basis without sacrificing equtiy and the KHSAA is saying this isn't one of them. The broad and general rule of not allowing students to play if their tuition is paid by outside sources is something they aren't willing to compromise on, especially in specific cases. It seems they are thinking that to do so would open up every case to individual scrutiny and apparently the KHSAA is not wanting to go down that path.

    Since the courts are so routinely involved now in these things, you can bet if they allow the kid to play under those circumstances, many others will challenge that issue and seek eligibility for students whose tuition is funded by outside sources. Each case would be presented with its own set of circumstances and pleas for consideration.

    These are extreme circumstances. The KHSAA has done the right thing in allowing waivers of the 1 year rule for these transfers, as long as they don't violate any other KHSAA regulations. But one shoe isn't going to fit every foot.

    Even though it is not a popular decision, I can respect the KHSAA for looking at the big picture here and taking a stand. If it were up to me, I don't know if I would take the same stance, but I do understand why they are ruling this way.
    I have no respect what so ever for this decision its a coward move.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,525

    If private schools give all the New Orleans students attending their school help in paying tuition with no preference for athletic ability than I say let them play. If athletes are given special treatment, than obviously the KHSAA should step in and not allow them to play.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    There were written rules they lifted to allow the kids to play at public schools it is unfair to lift some rules to benifit public schools, but so o and by the way were not lifting this rule that will allow you to attend a public school.

    By this ruling they are basically declaring you can come to KY and play sports as long as you play for a public schools. Which is unfair and wrong anyway you spell it.
    You're smarter than the above, Stud. The KHSAA has not said that you cannot play for a private school. What they've said is that , like everyone else, you cannot have someone else pay your tuition. Its that simple.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Would this kid be attending HC if the school had not had the fundraiser?

  7. #67
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    You're smarter than the above, Stud. The KHSAA has not said that you cannot play for a private school. What they've said is that , like everyone else, you cannot have someone else pay your tuition. Its that simple.
    As stated earlier the kid had already started school at his private school in LA , so he probably had already paid tution. His family lost everything. Where is this money going to come from to pay for it?

    HC also held the fundraiser to pay for his little sister who is a freshman and who to my knowledge does not play any sports.

  8. #68
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    Would this kid be attending HC if the school had not had the fundraiser?
    I don't know because I don't know where the money would come from, I'm not as familiar with the tution assitance program. I don't know why they just didn't have him use this since many athletes at HC are on it already. I'm guessing there was a deadline within the diocease.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    As stated earlier the kid had already started school at his private school in LA , so he probably had already paid tution. His family lost everything. Where is this money going to come from to pay for it?

    HC also held the fundraiser to pay for his little sister who is a freshman and who to my knowledge does not play any sports.
    Good for HC. They are fulfilling their mission.

  10. #70
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    Again, would they be at HC if HC did not have the fundraiser?
    Read above. MY question is what if HC just waived his tution would this be illegal to?

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Read above. MY question is what if HC just waived his tution would this be illegal to?
    Fine question. Why did they not simply put him on work-study?

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by Watusi
    The KHSAA is obviously looking at the legal precedent. Some things may be settled on a case by case basis without sacrificing equtiy and the KHSAA is saying this isn't one of them. The broad and general rule of not allowing students to play if their tuition is paid by outside sources is something they aren't willing to compromise on, especially in specific cases. It seems they are thinking that to do so would open up every case to individual scrutiny and apparently the KHSAA is not wanting to go down that path.

    Since the courts are so routinely involved now in these things, you can bet if they allow the kid to play under those circumstances, many others will challenge that issue and seek eligibility for students whose tuition is funded by outside sources. Each case would be presented with its own set of circumstances and pleas for consideration.

    These are extreme circumstances. The KHSAA has done the right thing in allowing waivers of the 1 year rule for these transfers, as long as they don't violate any other KHSAA regulations. But one shoe isn't going to fit every foot.

    Even though it is not a popular decision, I can respect the KHSAA for looking at the big picture here and taking a stand. If it were up to me, I don't know if I would take the same stance, but I do understand why they are ruling this way.
    Then the KHSAA should not have come out and said this concerning LA/MS/AL students displaced by the hurricane:


    The Kentucky High School Athletic Association shares the concern of the entire nation for the victims of Hurricane Katrina
    in the wake of the storm that devastated the Gulf Coast Area and an unparalleled disruption of family life. The KHSAA is
    on board with its other educational partners in the state of Kentucky and the nation in facilitating and accommodating the
    needs of students who have been displaced due to the Hurricane.
    Many of the KHSAA member schools are already receiving students and are adapting their admittance policies under the
    guidance of the Kentucky Department of Education and other governing agencies. The Association, along with everyone
    else, wants to do its part to facilitate the students’ return to a normal life if at all possible. Therefore, in the spirit of
    cooperation, the KHSAA is attempting to adapt the Domestic Student Eligibility or “Transfer Process” due to the difficulty
    in obtaining student records from schools in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
    The KHSAA is not however summarily waiving all regulations particularly age, (Bylaw 3) academic or grade (Bylaw 5), or
    recruitment rules (Bylaw 10). In addition, the Association cannot waive the physical exam or insurance requirements
    (Bylaw 2) required for participation in athletics.
    “Obviously this has been a catastrophic situation these students and their families have been through the last couple of
    weeks,” KHSAA Commissioner Brigid DeVries said. “While ensuring the basic rules of the Association, we hope to
    expedite the transfer process to help get a form of normalcy back into their daily lives.”
    “Congratulations are in order to KHSAA member school personnel who have indicated that they are planning a variety of
    activities and designating a portion of the proceeds to support relief efforts,” DeVries concluded.


    AGAIN I will assume this family was not going to a private Catholic school in LA for FREE so the tuition money exist somewhere.
    Where is the "expedite the transfer process to help get a form of normalcy back into their daily lives"????????

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    The KHSAA is not however summarily waiving all regulations particularly age, (Bylaw 3) academic or grade (Bylaw 5), or
    recruitment rules (Bylaw 10). ?
    Look at Bylaw 10 section C.

    http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw10.pdf

    That appears to be the part they did not waive. HC , I'm guessing, does not usually have fundraisers for students, correct? HC did nothing but 100% the right thing for this family YET it still does not pass the KHSAA requirements. HC should be commended for showing what the spirit of Catholic schools is.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    Sugartit
    Posts
    11,422

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Of course you can Your stance on private schools has acutally shocked me this last couple weeks. You know darn well there was no bad intentions by Holy Cross on this move.
    My stance on this issue is simply, that I can completely understand how and why the KHSAA ruled the way they did. Do I agree with it, not necessarily, but like cshs81 mentioned...it could open an entire new set of special circumstances.
    I am not for a public/private split at all, but some of the arguments in my opinion hold water, but that is for another topic.

  15. #75
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Then the KHSAA should not have come out and said this concerning LA/MS/AL students displaced by the hurricane:


    , the KHSAA is attempting to adapt the Domestic Student Eligibility or “Transfer Process” due to the difficulty
    in obtaining student records from schools in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
    ??

    This is where they contradicted themselves CSHS

Top