Ky. metro cities act elitist, feel entitled says the Bowling Green Daily News

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    130,387

    Ky. metro cities act elitist, feel entitled says the Bowling Green Daily News

    The cities of Louisville and Lexington have proven time after time that they are way out of touch with the rest of Kentucky.

    Those who run these northern Kentucky cities are elitists and have no sense of the rest of this beautiful state or its people. Kentucky is full of traditions, values and morals. Those not living in the southern city with northern ideals or Lexington enjoy the clean fresh air, the beauty of nature and having places close by to go fishing and hunting; not the smog, concrete, crime and noise congestion – or the politics, for that matter – of these two cities.

    It’s worth noting, when it comes to politics in the 2016 presidential election, that Jefferson and Fayette counties, where these two cities are located, were the only two counties in Kentucky that voted for Hillary Clinton over President Donald Trump. These numbers are very telling about the politics of these cities.

    It now appears that the leaders of these two cities think they can ignore state law because the Kentucky General Assembly passed legislation they didn’t like earlier this year. Our state passed a new religious expression law that prohibits school officials from punishing students for wearing religious messages on their clothes and expressing religious or political beliefs in homework, artwork and speeches. It would also prevent school officials from regulating student organizations, including the selection of members and “doctrines and principles.”

    Ky. metro cities act elitist, feel entitled | Our Opinion | bgdailynews.com
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,990

    I personally would not be proud if I had written that article.

    That said, I had no idea that "Louisville is not Kentucky" is apparently a thing some from Louisville say.

  3. #3
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,603

    I think the article is generally correct in what it perceives.

    Though, I did find it interesting... back in the 1990's I spent some time in Marion County among people who were retired farmers who grew up in the Great Depression. They were as conservative as could be. Except, many of them, and I would say the majority of them voted Democrat in the Presidential election. Bill Clinton had their support. They did not care for the way James Dobson of Focus on the Family spoke against Clinton. They loved everything else Dobson had to say.

    Mind you, these were conservative, evangelical Christians who despised much of what Clinton stood for and definitely his personal life. But when it came to politics, they had been raised as Democrats and they supported Clinton no matter his stance on abortion or his definition of the word "is" in relation to oral sex. Curious!

  4. #4
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    12,101

    TIL Lexington is in Northern Kentucky.

  5. #5
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    130,387

    Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    TIL Lexington is in Northern Kentucky.
    I know right. Just shows how out of touch the author is on some points.

  6. #6
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    28,351

    Quote Originally Posted by Habib View Post
    TIL Lexington is in Northern Kentucky.
    I mean, it is in the north half of Kentucky...

    Name:  Untitled4.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  126.4 KB

  7. #7
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,607

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    I personally would not be proud if I had written that article.

    That said, I had no idea that "Louisville is not Kentucky" is apparently a thing some from Louisville say.
    When we want to sound like snobs, sure. It was a particularly foolish thing to say for someone who has greater political ambitions than being on Louisville Metro Council, though that kind of attitude is one reason why I didn't vote for him in the primary.

    I understand where the Louisville mayor is coming from on this. As the guy who is basically the embodiment of "Chamber of Commerce Democrat", part of his responsibility is to protect the city's reputation in order to conduct business nationally and internationally.

    It's no secret that Louisville's politics are different than most of Kentucky. What Louisville is dealing with for the first time in a century is a state government that, instead of leaving Louisville's government to do what it wants, is actively working in a different direction. Conflict was inevitable.

    And yeah, some are going to take an attitude about it and some of those are going to speak unkindly about those "out in the state" of differing opinion. I don't think small town folks and city folks looking sideways at each other is anything new.

  8. #8
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    12,101

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    I mean, it is in the north half of Kentucky...

    Name:  Untitled4.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  126.4 KB
    I look forward to visiting Owensboro in southern Kentucky.

  9. #9
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    28,351

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    When we want to sound like snobs, sure. It was a particularly foolish thing to say for someone who has greater political ambitions than being on Louisville Metro Council, though that kind of attitude is one reason why I didn't vote for him in the primary.

    I understand where the Louisville mayor is coming from on this. As the guy who is basically the embodiment of "Chamber of Commerce Democrat", part of his responsibility is to protect the city's reputation in order to conduct business nationally and internationally.

    It's no secret that Louisville's politics are different than most of Kentucky. What Louisville is dealing with for the first time in a century is a state government that, instead of leaving Louisville's government to do what it wants, is actively working in a different direction. Conflict was inevitable.

    And yeah, some are going to take an attitude about it and some of those are going to speak unkindly about those "out in the state" of differing opinion. I don't think small town folks and city folks looking sideways at each other is anything new.
    Also in the Louisville Mayor's defense...the city is in the middle of dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into the city in the interest of specifically bringing travelers to Kentucky.

    Louisville is literally in the middle of a 22-month long $207 million renovation and expansion of the Kentucky International Convention Center downtown - as in, the project is currently in month 11 of 22.

    They also have spent hundreds of millions in tax initiatives to lure hotel owners to Louisville and build new hotels...specifically to bring back conventions and expos to Louisville. That initiative has currently gotten something like 11 new hotels that have either been built or are fully funded and are being built within Louisville with the distinct purpose of serving the travelers coming here for expos and conventions. Louisville has already lost out on the National FFA Convention, which was an absolutely huge deal for hotels here in town. Now the California travel ban has reportedly lost the forthcoming Omni Hotel in Lousville two different conventions who have now decided to look elsewhere.

    This travel ban is definitely a really bad look for Louisville in light of how many multiple hundreds of millions of dollars they have JUST sunk into gearing up to try to host major convention/expo travel.

    You know what else is a bad look though? A freaking Louisville city councilmen saying, "Louisville is not Kentucky". What an idiot.

  10. #10
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    9,580

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Also in the Louisville Mayor's defense...the city is in the middle of dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into the city in the interest of specifically bringing travelers to Kentucky.

    Louisville is literally in the middle of a 22-month long $207 million renovation and expansion of the Kentucky International Convention Center downtown - as in, the project is currently in month 11 of 22.

    They also have spent hundreds of millions in tax initiatives to lure hotel owners to Louisville and build new hotels...specifically to bring back conventions and expos to Louisville. That initiative has currently gotten something like 11 new hotels that have either been built or are fully funded and are being built within Louisville with the distinct purpose of serving the travelers coming here for expos and conventions. Louisville has already lost out on the National FFA Convention, which was an absolutely huge deal for hotels here in town. Now the California travel ban has reportedly lost the forthcoming Omni Hotel in Lousville two different conventions who have now decided to look elsewhere.

    This travel ban is definitely a really bad look for Louisville in light of how many multiple hundreds of millions of dollars they have JUST sunk into gearing up to try to host major convention/expo travel.

    You know what else is a bad look though? A freaking Louisville city councilmen saying, "Louisville is not Kentucky". What an idiot.
    Travel ban is on Cali not KY. Like I said it's simple market to other groups in other states. You lose some but if you do your job there is plenty of business to be had.

  11. #11
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,655

    Well...

  12. #12
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,613

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    Travel ban is on Cali not KY. Like I said it's simple market to other groups in other states. You lose some but if you do your job there is plenty of business to be had.
    You have absolutely no idea how tourism works, specifically convention business.

  13. #13
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    130,387

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    Travel ban is on Cali not KY.
    I am confused. This is from the CJ article on the ban:

    California's attorney general blocked state-funded travel to Kentucky and three other states on Thursday in response to what he considers anti-LGBT rights laws enacted this year.

  14. #14
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,607

    Also worth noting that a lot of the people who work in local government here were in local government back when the Fairness Ordinance was passed back in what, 1995? That was a big moment for progressives in town. Can't imagine there were many other cities around this region that did the same thing that early.

    They really hate the idea of anything that has even the appearance of rolling back that legacy.

  15. #15
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,613

    It is interesting that people are indignant about these comments. How often has it been said by those in other parts of the state that they would be fine if we were part of Indiana. Lexington is new to this game though.

Top