Kroger to Start Selling Narcan Without Prescription

Page 4 of Kroger stores to sell Narcan without prescription in southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky - Story We've had a lot of talks about heroin, figured this dese... 161 comments | 7062 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    That would all help with insurance costs I bet. We'll probably not that's just what they want is to think.
    If we're saying that we let addicts die because they made the conscious decision to take smack knowing that it could kill them then we have to say the same about alcoholics, obese, and smokers.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    18,411

    I equate the availability of this drug with the availability of the morning after pill. It's a quick fix to a temporary problem but does nothing to address the issue.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by HHSHOG62 View Post
    So Clyde, what is your solution. You resuscitate someone who has OD'd, then what is the next step? Put them through the revolving door rehab program, which statistically has a 60% relapse percentage? Then they OD again, back to the rehab program? Or do they go to prison, where they will serve a few years, get out, and OD again?

    I'm just not really sure how to stop the cycle. Something tells me that we baby our society, which has enabled this problem to grow into what it has today.
    I am not sure what the solution is. No idea. However, no long-term solution doesn't mean we let people die. It's simply inhumane. There should be no test to see who we save.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,123

    Quote Originally Posted by uk#1fan View Post
    They are all over Ft. Mitchell and Newport Krogers because it is close to the highway. But not out in Pleasantville.
    Ask an Independence officer that and then get back to me. Highways lead out here to man.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    1,192

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I am not sure what the solution is. No idea. However, no long-term solution doesn't mean we let people die. It's simply inhumane. There should be no test to see who we save.
    I disagree. Actively and unjustifiably killing people is inhumane. Letting people reap what they sow is not. A drug user knows they risks of their actions, and they accept those risks.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,123

    Quote Originally Posted by HHSHOG62 View Post
    So Clyde, what is your solution. You resuscitate someone who has OD'd, then what is the next step? Put them through the revolving door rehab program, which statistically has a 60% relapse percentage? Then they OD again, back to the rehab program? Or do they go to prison, where they will serve a few years, get out, and OD again?

    I'm just not really sure how to stop the cycle. Something tells me that we baby our society, which has enabled this problem to grow into what it has today.
    Rehab would be great if people went. I've seen people OD twice in one day. OD'd, got saved by EMS, taken to the hospital, checked themselves out. Went home got more heroin, OD'd AGAIN and the same process all over again.

    The current system is a joke and that's why I'm tired of it. Literally throwing away millions and millions of tax dollars to save people that don't care enough to save themselves.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,399

    Quote Originally Posted by mexitucky View Post
    It is an implied stretch, but using opiates, KNOWING their addictive properties and the high probability of OD that goes along with heroine could lead some to see a user as someone not really valuing their life.
    What about people who smoke cigarettes?

  8. #53

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by HHSHOG62 View Post
    I disagree. Actively and unjustifiably killing people is inhumane. Letting people reap what they sow is not. A drug user knows they risks of their actions, and they accept those risks.
    So I'll ask you the same question I've asked others.

    Using your "they knew the risk" reasoning do we not use life-saving procedures on drunk drivers? Fat people whose hearts stop beating? People who text while driving(hey, we've all seen the ads, right?)?

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,123

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    If we're saying that we let addicts die because they made the conscious decision to take smack knowing that it could kill them then we have to say the same about alcoholics, obese, and smokers.
    And to be honest I'm kind of ok with that. I'm sure you're familiar with the term "You made your bed, now lye in it".

  10. #55

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    And to be honest I'm kind of ok with that. I'm sure you're familiar with the term "You made your bed, now lye in it".
    While I'm obviously stunned people would say such a thing I do appreciate your honesty as callous as it is.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 03
    Location
    Have love in your heart and an ax in your hand. Hug and swing discriminately- Jim Wendler
    Posts
    15,356

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Where does your Catholicism come into this equation?
    In the fact that I have not made up my mind. It is what is holding me back from agreeing with those that find this to be a bad idea

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,399

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    So I'll ask you the same question I've asked others.

    Using your "they knew the risk" reasoning do we not use life-saving procedures on drunk drivers? Fat people whose hearts stop beating? People who text while driving(hey, we've all seen the ads, right?)?
    Hell, why do we stop there?
    Who here isn't getting the recommended amount of sleep? No treatment for you.
    Who here isn't exercising enough? No treatment for you.
    Who plans to eat sweets this weekend? No treatment for you.

    I am the atheist in this crew? Pretty sure Jesus never told his followers to just let folks die because "they knew the risk"...

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,123

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    What about people who smoke cigarettes?
    When's the last time EMS was called for someone that just OD'd on cigarette smoke? When's the last time someone broke into some cars so they could get money for their cigarette fix?

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,399

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan41 View Post
    When's the last time EMS was called for someone that just OD'd on cigarette smoke? When's the last time someone broke into some cars so they could get money for their cigarette fix?
    Hey, those smokers made their bed, now they have to lie in it...

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    25,123

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    While I'm obviously stunned people would say such a thing I do appreciate your honesty as callous as it is.
    Honesty is my strong suit.

Top