KHSAA Board of Control Against Split

Page 6 of Originally Posted by Old Corps Agreed, this is a very simplified scenario, but I don't know who else you could put in the large school bracket. I am no... 105 comments | 4424 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76
    TomSportsHack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Proudly flying the flag.
    Posts
    8,175

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    I am just saying that why do some good athletes shun public schools to pay to go to a private school?
    Just answer me that question.
    Trinity and X might do it the right way but when a girls basketball team has a major part of their team not even from that county that raises some questions.
    Because their parents feel the private school gives a better education than public schools, perhaps.

    Oh, wait. Couldn't be that.

    I'm sure Mulder and Scully will arrive shortly.
    Advertisement

  2. #77
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Quote Originally Posted by Offcentre67
    Shenanigans! I'm not Catholic but went to a Catholic high school and played football, how come I didn't get a scholarshilp?

    That's what I am saying

  3. #78

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,905

    Quote Originally Posted by TomSportsHack
    Because their parents feel the private school gives a better education than public schools, perhaps.

    Oh, wait. Couldn't be that.

    I'm sure Mulder and Scully will arrive shortly.

    Soon we'll see the establishment of the Ministry of Fairness.

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    46

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    I'd say it would be a possibility for some. If the Catholic education was not the first priority, I'd say its a high probability.
    I disagree. If it was all about sports or religion, maybe so. The reason I sent my kids to LC had nothing to do with sport or religion. There are many reason why people send their kids there. If sports is the only reason, I feel sorry for them. What if junior/juniorette blows his or her knee out sophomore year?

    Kind of screwed then...

  5. #80

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Southgate
    Posts
    6,592

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    Many are on "scholarship".
    "Baloney" for want of a stronger word.

  6. #81
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    I am just saying that why do some good athletes shun public schools to pay to go to a private school?
    Just answer me that question.

    Maybe for a *gasp* great education?! I dunno though. Why dont you ask the 4 national merit semi-finalist that play for St.X?

  7. #82
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    ... just don't complain about the taxes.
    Then don't complain about tuition assistance. You're still getting your tax dollars from parents of private school kids.

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by Offcentre67
    Shenanigans! I'm not Catholic but went to a Catholic high school and played football, how come I didn't get a scholarshilp?
    Who knows? I wanted to play at Notre Dame.

  9. #84
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird
    How would their pocketbook be impacted if there were no more private schools?
    Football state finals my man.

  10. #85
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    Like being a good athlete.
    Do public schools have financial aid?
    Are you serious public schools are free. Financial aid is not giving out at any catholic school because of how good of an athlete you are. It is decided by a 3rd party who determines your needs as a familly.

    Get your facts straight before you try and argue.

  11. #86
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    One of the proposals is to ban out of state kids playing for KY schools. I sat with Jones' former coaches from Wva at the state semis last year. They did not seem too happy he had "moved".
    Rockmom you dont think any kid at a private school like Trinity or St X is not really on a scholarship for athletics?
    Please wake up.
    You need to wake up , unless you are invovled at one of these schools. Like most of us are who attended and play sports at private schools.

  12. #87
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    I am just saying that why do some good athletes shun public schools to pay to go to a private school?
    Just answer me that question.
    Trinity and X might do it the right way but when a girls basketball team has a major part of their team not even from that county that raises some questions.
    Catholic education. What was the closest catholic school to those girls. Also success causes people to follow.

  13. #88
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Football state finals my man.
    Now, I'm against the split, but this is one argument that holds no water in my opinion. On the surface, it makes sense, but if you look deeper, you'd realize that as more schools went deeper into the playoffs and won championships, support and following of their athletics would increase. They probably wouldn't have the crowd that a Trinity-X final would get, but Manual-Male (and one of those teams would have to move to the other side of the board to balance out the districts if this went through) if both teams were winning championships for a few years, would increase back towards the level of interest it once held; I suspect that it would at least be equal to a Trinity-Henderson or X-Dixie. I don't use that as an example to say "hey, this would be pretty good," just stating my opinion on the facts... It wouldn't be the financial catastrophe that many would like to predict.

  14. #89
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ram54
    Now, I'm against the split, but this is one argument that holds no water in my opinion. On the surface, it makes sense, but if you look deeper, you'd realize that as more schools went deeper into the playoffs and won championships, support and following of their athletics would increase. They probably wouldn't have the crowd that a Trinity-X final would get, but Manual-Male (and one of those teams would have to move to the other side of the board to balance out the districts if this went through) if both teams were winning championships for a few years, would increase back towards the level of interest it once held; I suspect that it would at least be equal to a Trinity-Henderson or X-Dixie. I don't use that as an example to say "hey, this would be pretty good," just stating my opinion on the facts... It wouldn't be the financial catastrophe that many would like to predict.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but won't this result in more money for the KHSAA? You're still talking St. X and Trinity State finals but you're adding another 4A size state final, like Manual/Male. They're not kicking priavates out of the KHSAA, just separating them into another division. I don't see where anyone would see this as bad for the KHSAA monetarily speaking.

  15. #90
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Correct me if I'm wrong but won't this result in more money for the KHSAA? You're still talking St. X and Trinity State finals but you're adding another 4A size state final, like Manual/Male. They're not kicking priavates out of the KHSAA, just separating them into another division. I don't see where anyone would see this as bad for the KHSAA's monetarily speaking.
    Perhaps... I don't know how the money would go there.

Top