KET's KY Tonight on 10/31-About the Public/Private Topic

Page 2 of On Monday, Oct. 31, Trinity President Rob Mullen will participate in a televised discussion with several other representatives on "both sides"... 97 comments | 3958 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    The Luxury Box at Male's Historic Maxwell Field. LET'S GO BULLDOGS!
    Posts
    4,208

    Quote Originally Posted by 0116cwb
    Quote: Did it ever occur to you that maybe they didn't want to attend a school where their father was an administrator?

    So their reason for attending a school of choice is ok, but you've decided others' reasons for attending schools of their choice not ok.
    That seems a bit judgemental and hypocritalcal.
    Have I ever advocated prohibiting a student from attending the school of thier choice? (no).
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    The best line of the night...

    Scott County’s AD/FB Coach proposed the following rule:

    Only athletes that attended Catholic grade schools would be allowed to play for Catholic high schools, or the child would have to sit out their freshmen year.

    When Scott County’s AD/FB Coach was asked if public schools would only be able to play kids that came from public middle schools, his response was…

    “Well no.”

    So essentially, he wants Catholic schools to only play with kids that attended Catholic schools, but he does not want to play by the same rules for public schools.

    I believe him to be a great coach and a good guy, but he just did not seem to think things through. Seems like most everyone has not thought this through, just like the old hillbilly... LOL.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    When McKee made that statement Wilson Sears immediately chimed in that every person in the United States was entitled to a free public education and if they tried to keep incoming freshman changing from private to public schools that it would not stand up to legal scrutiny because it would infringe on the right of a parent to participate in all aspects of a public education.

    Maybe the lawyers that read this forum can help me out but since the KHSAA is a voluntary organization aren't they given a fairly wide latitude in what rules they can enact and enforce? Could the KHSAA say that a student moving from a public to private school or vice versa for high school would be ineligible for their freshman year, and if they did so would it stand up to legal scrutiny?

    One of the big arguments that the supporters of Prop 20 have used is that full participation in high school sports is a privilege not a right. How can anyone who supports basically keeping a significant number of students from enjoying full participation in interscholastic athletics with a straight face question this based on the legality of keeping a small percentage of students from full participation?

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    It is hard for me not to laugh at this whole thing. First off they talk about doing all of this for a level playing field. I would love to here how a school the size of Saint Pat or even Owensboro Caholic is supposed to compete with St X and Trinity if we go Private/Public seperate. If the Henderson Co's, Dunbar's etc of the world which are huge public schools with huge numbers aren't competing then how in the world is it fair to match those little schools up?
    I also get a kick how you can classify somebody like Lex Cath in with T and X. Lex Cath might have 500 boys in their school. X + T are around 1,500. How is that equal? Maybe I have bad math but that looks like a school that is three times the size. I really don't think it's a recruiting issue as much as it is a numbers issue.
    Last but not least the irony drives me nuts in some of this stuff. I have a lot of respect for how hard the people work with the Scott Co programs. I find it ironic that Scott Co is one of the main leaders in this push though. Correct me if I'm wrong but have they not had a difference maker or two move into their program in basketball at least?

  5. #20
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    And I thought it was really funny when he wanted to go back to having a Jeff Co champ playing an at large "champ". Make us your mind...

  6. #21
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    When McKee made that statement Wilson Sears immediately chimed in that every person in the United States was entitled to a free public education and if they tried to keep incoming freshman changing from private to public schools that it would not stand up to legal scrutiny because it would infringe on the right of a parent to participate in all aspects of a public education.

    Maybe the lawyers that read this forum can help me out but since the KHSAA is a voluntary organization aren't they given a fairly wide latitude in what rules they can enact and enforce? Could the KHSAA say that a student moving from a public to private school or vice versa for high school would be ineligible for their freshman year, and if they did so would it stand up to legal scrutiny?

    One of the big arguments that the supporters of Prop 20 have used is that full participation in high school sports is a privilege not a right. How can anyone who supports basically keeping a significant number of students from enjoying full participation in interscholastic athletics with a straight face question this based on the legality of keeping a small percentage of students from full participation?
    As most of you know, I am an attorney and I thought the same thing as you did AT from the first moment I heard Sears say that several weeks ago. I have not done any specific research on the law, but the logic that allows the KHSAA to make a transfer ineligible when he transfers from a private high school to a public high school his senior year would seemingly hold true when a graduate from a private middle school enrolls in a public high school wouldn't it? I mean a rule is a rule isn't it, and if sports are a privilage and if the KHSAA is a voluntary organization that no high school public or private is forced to join, why wouldn't such a rule be enforceable?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    I would second the post of leatherneck. The publics often use the privilege argument when it is to their benefit. However, they abandon it when it is does not add to their argument. A rule is, indeed, a rule. It must be evenly applied in both cases.

  8. #23
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,048

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1
    Last but not least the irony drives me nuts in some of this stuff. . I find it ironic that Scott Co is one of the main leaders in this push though. Correct me if I'm wrong but have they not had a difference maker or two move into their program in basketball at least?

    I have thought the same thing.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    The above comments by McKee & Spears were ludicrous in my opinion, and that reasoning may be the downfall of any attempts that the Private schools put forth in compromising. I can understand (to a minor degree, mind you) that the Public schools want some action. However, they can't have their cake and eat it too. It leads me to believe that, at least from the public school perspective, compromise is not the ultimate goal...the ultimate goal is a Prop 20, or Prop 20-like solution. I also found it interesting that Mr. Spears himself said he saw no problems in basketball, but wanted to state that it would open up doors for schools who'd never achieved post season success to do so if change occurred. How?

    I wish the program could have been more than an hour. I wish more people had called in. I wish I'd have had the number to call in myself. I think this whole mess needs more investigation into solutions, not radical change.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,538

    I loved how when Coach McKee assumed that it was rare for kids from private grade/middle schools rarely decide to attend public schools.

    Ms. Spears and Dr. Mullen quickly added that it happens quite often just before the host went to the next topic but I doubt that fact penetrated Coach McKee's thick head.

    Mr. Sears and Coach McKee cannot seem to understand that in Jefferson County, FEEDER SYSTEMS DO NOT EXIST. Kids from public grade schools sometimes decide to go to private schools. Kids from private grade schools sometimes decide to go to public school. The latter happens more often than the first, hence an advantage to Jefferson County Public Schools. When ever these facts are brought up to Sears and McKee, they seem to cover their ears and stare into space.

    If the Prop 20 proponents got their facts straight, I may take them more seriously but when the continue to spread hearsay and false claims, all I can do is roll my eyes.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,538

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    The above comments by McKee & Spears were ludicrous in my opinion,
    I believe you mean Sears, not Spears. Ms. Spears was the woman form the Archdiocese of Louisville.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Two things Coach McKee/Sears said last night that was stupid. As for them not understanding what feeder systems are, I don't know? They just want to be heard that is how they act when they are in a crowd. Know it alls who don't do any research, just plain emotion.

    1. It is okay for someone to transfer from a private school to a public school with no penalty of sitting out. What happend to "WE want a level playing field". Did not do their homework or rethink what they wanted to say.

    2. Every child in America is intitled to a FREE public school education. Well, if a Catholic school gives a kid financial aid an uproar from the "freebie society" goes crazy. What I mean from the "freebie society". The people who take, take, take and milk taxpayers money. People who know they are going to get the money no matter what, just like a spoiled child. Also, Sounds to me there is a Anti-Catholic movement. It is just like the principal from Paducah Tilghman said "this is border-line discrimination". Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits.
    Again not doing their homework.

    3. Jim McKee said he has no problem playing anybody at anytime. Watch what you say Jim. Why are in favor of the split? I know it is hard to beat St.X, but heck you said I will play anyone at anytime. Again not preparing before you got on. He took alot of notes, but was he drawing up plays?

    Bottom Line: The public school have not done there homework and research on this, hey no child left behind right? Some, and I mean Some of these public school administrators are worried about their own image. Sounds like to me like they just want to be heard.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert
    I believe you mean Sears, not Spears. Ms. Spears was the woman form the Archdiocese of Louisville.

    Thanks, Bert...you are correct. I'm befuddled...and it carried over into this. Sorry!

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,538

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Thanks, Bert...you are correct. I'm befuddled...and it carried over into this. Sorry!
    No problem. After hearing some of the bogus facts used last night, I can imagine how it could rattle someone.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    Two things Coach McKee/Sears said last night that was stupid. As for them not understanding what feeder systems are, I don't know? They just want to be heard that is how they act when they are in a crowd. Know it alls who don't do any research, just plain emotion.

    1. It is okay for someone to transfer from a private school to a public school with no penalty of sitting out. What happend to "WE want a level playing field". Did not do their homework or rethink what they wanted to say.

    2. Every child in America is intitled to a FREE public school education. Well, if a Catholic school gives a kid financial aid an uproar from the "freebie society" goes crazy. What I mean from the "freebie society". The people who take, take, take and milk taxpayers money. People who know they are going to get the money no matter what, just like a spoiled child. Also, Sounds to me there is a Anti-Catholic movement. It is just like the principal from Paducah Tilghman said "this is border-line discrimination". Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits.
    Again not doing their homework.

    3. Jim McKee said he has no problem playing anybody at anytime. Watch what you say Jim. Why are in favor of the split? I know it is hard to beat St.X, but heck you said I will play anyone at anytime. Again not preparing before you got on. He took alot of notes, but was he drawing up plays?

    Bottom Line: The public school have not done there homework and research on this, hey no child left behind right? Some, and I mean Some of these public school administrators are worried about their own image. Sounds like to me like they just want to be heard.
    Sorry 3 things.

Top