Its all about Lex. Cath.

Page 2 of Originally Posted by stick1 Lex Cath has never even won the Region in football but it's about them? Rose Hill? Rose Hill was a little school that got t... 39 comments | 2518 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    NEXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    Making somebody mad somewhere
    Posts
    2,419

    Double post
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    NEXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 02
    Location
    Making somebody mad somewhere
    Posts
    2,419

    Quote Originally Posted by UNDERTHEBRIDGE
    Agreed, problem is, no one has brought forth hard evidence to say the teams are cheating to get their wins.

    By the way, this has to be a flawed thread, speaking to NEXT. Either what you mean is that Lexington Catholic is the school which first got the private/public debate rolling or else I disagree with this all being about Lexington Catholic. Public schools voting on this proposal in Western Ky hardly care about how Lex Cath is affecting them just as do the schools in Nky, Eastern Ky, and even a lot of the Louisville schools. So yes, Lexington Catholic might have been one of the key programs to bring about all that has occurred, but I hardly think they are the sole purpose for such heavy support.


    Also, im still interested to know what all evidence existed a few years ago to bust Lex Cath, that isn't there now. People keep saying the evidence exists but they seem to not be able to provide it when called upon for it. (NEXT, this isn't to call you out, I understand here that it wouldn't be right even if you knew the evidence to have you bring it out, im speaking more in general)


    They got it started.

    I cannot go into specifics because I don't have them, YET, but from my understanding there was/are people that came forward and had the goods on Lex. Cath. Will something be done now? My understanding was that this came forth in Mr Stouts last years's and was during the time Tubby's last boy played at LC. Its up to Mrs. Devries(sp).

  3. #18
    WoodyJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    New Yawk City
    Posts
    1,524

    a word from NorthEast Kentucky

    Rose Hill was the trigger for us. How can anyone expect our local schools to sit still when they bring in a load of incredibly talented players from both Ohio AND West Virginia? It makes no sense on a competitive level.

    Basketball is so much more easily unbalanced by a couple players than football and realistically the focus is on the major sports, rather than the minors or academics (rightly or wrongly).

    Most of the competitive schools recruit to varying degrees (in my opinion) but what we are seeing now is that a tipping point has been reached due to a progression of the process (by some schools). The proposal is the only way they know how to deal with it I believe, and not what most really want. They're OK with a little bending of the principles of rules & fairness, just not a whole bunch

    Cheers, WoodyJr

  4. #19
    UNDERTHEBRIDGE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,901

    Quote Originally Posted by NEXT
    They got it started.

    I cannot go into specifics because I don't have them, YET, but from my understanding there was/are people that came forward and had the goods on Lex. Cath. Will something be done now? My understanding was that this came forth in Mr Stouts last years's and was during the time Tubby's last boy played at LC. Its up to Mrs. Devries(sp).
    I won't doubt there are at least rumors (true or not) that surround the 2002 championship for the Knights. I've heard a couple, some that aren't even about recruiting violations but grades. Who knows for sure. I've said this in a few threads, the biggest problem right now is that everything is he said/she said. Nothing solid has come forth. I do feel certain programs at Lex Cath are catching a lot of heat for problems existing mainly in the basketball program.

    On the public/private split of championships I just think this is the wrong way to handle it with a split.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    Do you think this is a revelation?????
    Have you been hibernating for the past ten-fifteen years?????

    Lexcath is certainly not the ONLY school, public or private to stretch the rules and take advantage of their private (or open enrollment) status. They just were probably the first small snowball that started rolling down the hill. When it worked for them others took note and joined ranks leading up to the whole thing blowing up this week.

    This whole thing boils down to EVERYONE (publics and privates) wanting the KHSAA to do the enforcement job that they were created to do. Furthermore, if each superintendent of each school district (public and private) would police his/her own programs and do the right thing, then this whole thing would become a non-issue, instead of seeing how far they can stretch the rules, how much they can get away with, and how much advantage they can gain athletically through their private or "open enrollment" status.

    But then if I really expect that to happen, I must be dreaming too.
    To me, the BEST comment that has been made on BGP concerning this issue. What about some ethical expectations for those that are educating our children on both sides of the aisles?

  6. #21
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    In my view, there are seven schools that have contributed greatly toward this widespread disdain for private schools ... Trinity, St. Xavier, Sacred Heart, Assumption, Lexington Catholic, Owensboro Catholic and University Heights.
    I think you left out Rose Hill, who really took it to another level!

    However, a lot of the so-called "R" word is done by ambitious parents, hungry to see little Johnny/Suzy be part of a winning, high profile program; that maybe results in a scholly along the way. I'd bet if you performed a real investigation of many of these programs, including a lot of successful public/independent ones as well; you'd find a lot more kids whose parents moved into district, used phoney addresses, changed guardianship, split families temporarily, etc.; than kids who were illegitimately brought in!!

    Even up here in little NKY, where as one poster put it, the high schools all sit on top of one another; you don't have to look very hard to find multiple examples of one or all of the above.

    Do savy coaches and "supporters of the program" take advantage of these overzealous parents, of course; but let's not kid ourselves, this happens all the time, and is probably legal for the most part!! Ethical?--Probably not. In the "spirit of the rules"?--Not. Hard to catch?--Not Will it ever stop?--Probably Not!!

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    I think you left out Rose Hill, who really took it to another level!
    You're right, I left out Rose Hill, even though that situation lasted for only a couple of years.

    I will submit, however, that the disdain shown toward Rose Hill in northeastern Kentucky isn't really on another level ... the University Heights situation, which involved foreign-born athletes, in the late 80s and early 90s is a very close parallel.

    The primary difference is in the amount of statewide publicity ... if the Internet was in existence at the time and if UHA was closer to Louisville and Lexington, and not tucked in the middle of rural western Kentucky, it would have been just as much a public mess as the Rose Hill thing was. You had to be here to know how volatile the situation really was.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    Lex Cath has never even won the Region in football but it's about them?
    Rose Hill? Rose Hill was a little school that got their brains beat in by people like Ashland and Boyd Co every year! I'm talking like 80 points a game in basketball. When Rose Hill came out of nowhere and started smacking them around it didn't feel too good and they went nuts! Kind of funny how superstars like Frank Lee (Boyd Co) came from the Ramey home and one of the best backs in history (Ashland) came from the Fairview area but the pot can really light up the kettle in this state! It's a double standard and it's a joke. I have coached in Eastern KY, Louisville and Lexington. I will zip my lip as to where most of the recruiting goes on. I don't have to listen to all the rumors. I have been a part of the programs that supposedly lose kids and I've been in the programs that supposedly take them. I've also been around the one's that are never mentioned that get the most! It's pretty funny to see some of the stuff that has gone on the past month. Some of the loudest mouths in this cry of an unfair advantage reside in schools that have pulled a numerous amount of athletes in from other places!

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    58

    Out of county students = recruitment in many minds

    Lexington Catholic is taking a lot of heat for the players that orginated out of county. Many public school administrators equate the attendence of out of county students absolute 'proof' of recruitment. Many, if not most, do not understand that LexCath is the only Catholic HS between Frankfort and WV. Or if they do understand it they chose to ignore it.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    Quote Originally Posted by lexcard
    Lexington Catholic is taking a lot of heat for the players that orginated out of county. Many public school administrators equate the attendence of out of county students absolute 'proof' of recruitment. Many, if not most, do not understand that LexCath is the only Catholic HS between Frankfort and WV. Or if they do understand it they chose to ignore it.
    Has Scott Co not had kids transfer from other areas and ended up being big additions on the basketball court for the Cardinals? Why isn't there an uproar about that?

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    1,058

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1
    Has Scott Co not had kids transfer from other areas and ended up being big additions on the basketball court for the Cardinals? Why isn't there an uproar about that?
    There has been!

  12. #27

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Daddy
    There has been!
    So are they going to be banished to this other leauge since we are looking for a perfect world where nobody gets new kids into their athletic programs? Wait that is one of the ringleaders spearheading this witch-hunt!

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    1,058

    They were moved into what is now the toughest basketball district in the state. Coincidence, I doubt it.

    This whole argument would cease if the KHSAA had some guts and enforced its own rules. The have been too lax on public schools getting players, and they haven't enforced private school's area limitations. They allow everything to be open for discussion and rarely take a hard stand on anything, public or private.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    You my dinna
    Posts
    1,282

    Quote Originally Posted by stick1
    Has Scott Co not had kids transfer from other areas and ended up being big additions on the basketball court for the Cardinals? Why isn't there an uproar about that?
    I couldn't agree with you more on Scott County with Mr. Basketball Rick Jones moving from Corbin and Scott Hundley played two years of basketball at Dunbar then went to Scott County.

    I agree Scott County should have been punished for some of the things that went on their and that's the KHSAA fault for which I have been saying for ever are the laziest people around.

    But I do think it is a problem when Chelsey Chowning grows up in Berea and then when Lexington Catholic hires the old Berea Community Head Basketball Coach Chelsey happens to go to Lexington Catholic. I do think it is a problem when Phillip Martin goes to Folely Middle School in Berea an then is the runningback for Lexington Catholic. I do think it is a problem when Coleman Savage leaves Madison Central then goes to LCA, EJ, Bryan Station, then Lexington Catholic and by mid season he is eligable and all of this happend all because he wanted to follow Paul Rains who left Madison Central and follow him to LCA and he got stuck when he couldn't get into LCA. Yes he moved from Richmond to Lexington but he went to 5 schools in about 3 months and was made eligable by the KHSAA.

    My main beef is with the KHSAA do your job and everthing will be ok. But if actions like the one's I have mentioned continue I understand why other schools get upset.

  15. #30
    Offcentre67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    In one of the original centres of football power in the US
    Posts
    345

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Daddy
    They were moved into what is now the toughest basketball district in the state. Coincidence, I doubt it.

    This whole argument would cease if the KHSAA had some guts and enforced its own rules. The have been too lax on public schools getting players, and they haven't enforced private school's area limitations. They allow everything to be open for discussion and rarely take a hard stand on anything, public or private.
    Private schools don't have area limitations, in fact KHSAA doesn't define any area limitations. Most public schools limit themselves from the area which they can draw from. Like RU said, you can't self impose rules on yourself whine when others don't do the same.

Top