Is the passing of Prop 20 the worst thing that could happen for PUBLIC schools?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Is the passing of Prop 20 the worst thing that could happen for PUBLIC schools?

    Now that Prop 20 has passed with the 2/3 majority is it the WORST thing that could happen for the Public schools??

    Why?

    Consider that Prop 20 will never get past the Board of Control, the BOE, the Legislative, lawsuits etc. etc. so what does it all mean in the end if nothing changes and the state championships are still decided as they are today?

    Could it mean boycotts of competitions between public and private schools in every part of the state with the exception of NKY? Who loses there?

    Could it even widen the gaps between Private and Public school championships won by allowing the private schools to play better out-of-state competition instead of scheduling competitions with local public schools?

    Could it mean further drains on the funds of the KHSAA (more reported incidents requiring more investigations) thus making future events "not as nice" for everyone?

    Could it lead to anarchy within the KHSAA as the delgates have passed proposals only to be denied seeing them inacted?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Yes on every question. This is going to get UGLY...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    ^ what he said...

  4. #4
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    It will get really ugly. In the end I think that the privates will be in the playoffs.

  5. #5
    Beechwoodfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    5,938

    The whole thing is stupid. Separate Championships............you would be the king of nothing.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    717

    Yeah, I'll see yall when Im cheering on UHA at the Sweet 16 next year.

  7. #7
    RowdyRedRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    backed up against the wall
    Posts
    5,018

    YES

  8. #8
    BigColonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Posts
    4,788

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Now that Prop 20 has passed with the 2/3 majority is it the WORST thing that could happen for the Public schools??

    Why?

    Consider that Prop 20 will never get past the Board of Control, the BOE, the Legislative, lawsuits etc. etc. so what does it all mean in the end if nothing changes and the state championships are still decided as they are today?

    Could it mean boycotts of competitions between public and private schools in every part of the state with the exception of NKY? Who loses there?

    Could it even widen the gaps between Private and Public school championships won by allowing the private schools to play better out-of-state competition instead of scheduling competitions with local public schools?

    Could it mean further drains on the funds of the KHSAA (more reported incidents requiring more investigations) thus making future events "not as nice" for everyone?

    Could it lead to anarchy within the KHSAA as the delgates have passed proposals only to be denied seeing them inacted?

    Basically everyones big complaint has been the ability of the private schools to allegedly recruit players. Well now you've kicked them out of the KHSAA and forced them to form their own league with their own rules. What to stop them from ratcheting up their "recruiting efforts" They don't have to worry about the publics anymore. The X's and and LexCath's of the world will have all the good players, while the Dunbars and Henry Clays will still have little Johnny, who wasn't athletic enough to be a waterboy in the private leagues. Congrats publics. You've reduced yourself to nothing.

  9. #9
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by BigColonel
    Basically everyones big complaint has been the ability of the private schools to allegedly recruit players. Well now you've kicked them out of the KHSAA and forced them to form their own league with their own rules. What to stop them from ratcheting up their "recruiting efforts" They don't have to worry about the publics anymore. The X's and and LexCath's of the world will have all the good players, while the Dunbars and Henry Clays will still have little Johnny, who wasn't athletic enough to be a waterboy in the private leagues. Congrats publics. You've reduced yourself to nothing.
    And this is what it has come to. Rural KY has finally tricked Lexington and Louisville publics to boot the Privates. Come on, someone had to say it...

  10. #10
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,940

    Quote Originally Posted by BigColonel
    Basically everyones big complaint has been the ability of the private schools to allegedly recruit players. Well now you've kicked them out of the KHSAA and forced them to form their own league with their own rules. .

    They are still members of the KHSAA but would play in their own playoff.

  11. #11
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16
    They are still members of the KHSAA but would play in their own playoff.
    For now...

  12. #12
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,940

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    For now...

    true

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    A few year’s ago, the grade school teams of a certain private school were excluded from the city league in which they had previously participated. They then competed for two years in their county league before again being barred from competition. Stories vary depending upon which side of the fence you listen to, but their one unmistakable offense was that the private school teams won too many games.

    They then negotiated to be included in the league of the next county over, with one caveat… the private school kids had to play up one grade level. The private school third graders played the public school fourth graders and so on. The result of all of this is that the private school kids have improved dramatically over similarly aged competitors.

    By trying to weaken the private schools, their public opponents are only making them stronger… to the point that the only way they can beat them is to eliminate them from competition altogether… which isn’t much of a victory at all when you think about it.

  14. #14
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak
    A few year’s ago, the grade school teams of a certain private school were excluded from the city league in which they had previously participated. They then competed for two years in their county league before again being barred from competition. Stories vary depending upon which side of the fence you listen to, but their one unmistakable offense was that the private school teams won too many games.

    They then negotiated to be included in the league of the next county over, with one caveat… the private school kids had to play up one grade level. The private school third graders played the public school fourth graders and so on. The result of all of this is that the private school kids have improved dramatically over similarly aged competitors.

    By trying to weaken the private schools, their public opponents are only making them stronger… to the point that the only way they can beat them is to eliminate them from competition altogether… which isn’t much of a victory at all when you think about it.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Southgate
    Posts
    6,592

    As an alumnus and supporter of a small Northern Kentucky parochial school I want to thank all of the public schools in this area that voted against Prop 20 . Thank you !

Top