Is a compromise about to head off the great divide?

Page 7 of Originally Posted by Wildcat In NKY, parents can pay tuition and send their child to Beechwood, Highlands, or Kenton County schools. Boone Co. schools ... 108 comments | 4356 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Turner's is much older than what is in Covington. It can be Traced back to Germany. Its club/society where drinking is acceptable. Its problem I have with today's society there is nothing wrong with it, many responsible and productive people were raised throught turners.
    I'm well aware of what the Turners is about and I know their history certainly pre-dates the origin of Covington. In those days drinking if front of kids may have been acceptable. I think you would have to agree that in todays time that alcohol consumption and kids sports should not be tolerated in anyway.
    If you reread my post regarding Turners I think you will see that I say there are definitely responsible and good people at Turners and are to be commended. There are a handful though and I'm certain you have seen it happen that after a couple cans of courage show their ugly side and this is where I find the problem. Stud you can't in good conscience tell me that it is o.k. to have alcohol being consumed on the level it is at Turners and kids playing basketball. If so then you disappoint me.
    Advertisement

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    It is strange to bring your 3rd grade basketball team to Turner's for the first time and have them walk through the bar with the old-timers hitting it up early in the day.

  3. #93
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    I'm well aware of what the Turners is about and I know their history certainly pre-dates the origin of Covington. In those days drinking if front of kids may have been acceptable. I think you would have to agree that in todays time that alcohol consumption and kids sports should not be tolerated in anyway.
    If you reread my post regarding Turners I think you will see that I say there are definitely responsible and good people at Turners and are to be commended. There are a handful though and I'm certain you have seen it happen that after a couple cans of courage show their ugly side and this is where I find the problem. Stud you can't in good conscience tell me that it is o.k. to have alcohol being consumed on the level it is at Turners and kids playing basketball. If so then you disappoint me.
    At Turners I find it acceptable. I'm not big on PC, its no different than going to family functions and seeing all your realtives consuming.

  4. #94
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    At Turners I find it acceptable. I'm not big on PC, its no different than going to family functions and seeing all your realtives consuming.
    Sorry to hear you say that. As someone who I knows coaches youngmen in basketball as you do I would have thought differently but apparently I'm wrong. At Turners and/or anywhere else it is not acceptable. IMO

  5. #95
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    At Turners I find it acceptable. I'm not big on PC, its no different than going to family functions and seeing all your realtives consuming.
    Shirley you don't mean this.

  6. #96
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Shirley you don't mean this.
    I don't think anything that goes on at Turners is that bad. I've never heard of any probelms during the morning hours.

    There is a time and place for everything. When you get a team in Turners tournament or league you know what kind of atmosphere your going to. There are plenty of gyms in the Cincy Catholic school system that serve beer during games. Beer is just acceptable in alot of german catholic societys. Some people don't , some people do, if you are responsible I see nothing wrong.

  7. #97
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I don't think anything that goes on at Turners is that bad. I've never heard of any probelms during the morning hours.

    There is a time and place for everything. When you get a team in Turners tournament or league you know what kind of atmosphere your going to. There are plenty of gyms in the Cincy Catholic school system that serve beer during games. Beer is just acceptable in alot of german catholic societys. Some people don't , some people do, if you are responsible I see nothing wrong.
    You don't find anything wrong with the bold above? Not quite the example you want your kids see, at least I hope not. Especially if some of these people are coaching kids after partaking.

    Listen, I'm all about having some beverages however, there's a time and place.

  8. #98
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I don't think anything that goes on at Turners is that bad. I've never heard of any probelms during the morning hours.

    There is a time and place for everything. When you get a team in Turners tournament or league you know what kind of atmosphere your going to. There are plenty of gyms in the Cincy Catholic school system that serve beer during games. Beer is just acceptable in alot of german catholic societys. Some people don't , some people do, if you are responsible I see nothing wrong.
    Certainly entitled to your opinion but it concerns me that with this attitude that you are able to coach youngmen. Sort think it is a said statement on our society as a whole and how are value systems have pretty much went completely down the drain.

  9. #99
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    You don't find anything wrong with the bold above? Not quite the example you want your kids see, at least I hope not. Especially if some of these people are coaching kids after partaking.

    Listen, I'm all about having some beverages however, there's a time and place.
    I know of no coach who consumes then goes and coaches. That is an exaggeration, maybe after coaching. As long as they are not serving kids or promoting it to the kids whats the big deal. Alot of kids probably don't even notice it because i'm guessing a majority of their parents drink also. I see nothing wrong with consumption of alchohol maybe because I was raised to not think it a big deal.

  10. #100
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I know of no coach who consumes then goes and coaches. That is an exaggeration, maybe after coaching. As long as they are not serving kids or promoting it to the kids whats the big deal. Alot of kids probably don't even notice it because i'm guessing a majority of their parents drink also. I see nothing wrong with consumption of alchohol maybe because I was raised to not think it a big deal.
    Honestly, do we need parents consuming at games either? If you coach you know how hard it is to manage the parents sober, much less with a few cocktails in them. I was raised the same way but again, just because it's always been done doesn't make it right now.

  11. #101
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    Certainly entitled to your opinion but it concerns me that with this attitude that you are able to coach youngmen. Sort think it is a said statement on our society as a whole and how are value systems have pretty much went completely down the drain.

    This has been acceptable for centuries my man and is still acceptable in europe. I just don't see the big deal with a couple of drinks. Do I and have i coached young people, Yes. Have i ever consumed alchohol prior to coaching, no. Have I seen parents at baseball and basketball games take in a full adult beverages after the game where the facility makes it availble. Yes I have and I have no problem with it. If it was a good enough atmosphere for my grandpa and father then I find nothing wrong with it.

  12. #102
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I know of no coach who consumes then goes and coaches. That is an exaggeration, maybe after coaching. As long as they are not serving kids or promoting it to the kids whats the big deal. Alot of kids probably don't even notice it because i'm guessing a majority of their parents drink also. I see nothing wrong with consumption of alchohol maybe because I was raised to not think it a big deal.
    Let me assure you kids do notice and they hear when daddy and even mommy start getting alittle loud from the balcony. This is one we might as well let go BS because in most cases I can at least see your point of view even when I disagree but as far as this goes we are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum. My biggest concern about all of this is that there are a great many people who think just the way you do. What a shame..

  13. #103
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    Let me assure you kids do notice and they hear when daddy and even mommy start getting alittle loud from the balcony. This is one we might as well let go BS because in most cases I can at least see your point of view even when I disagree but as far as this goes we are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum. My biggest concern about all of this is that there are a great many people who think just the way you do. What a shame..
    I'm out of this debate. I find myself agreeing with BIGZIG and frankly, it frightens me.

  14. #104
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    This has been acceptable for centuries my man and is still acceptable in europe. I just don't see the big deal with a couple of drinks. Do I and have i coached young people, Yes. Have i ever consumed alchohol prior to coaching, no. Have I seen parents at baseball and basketball games take in a full adult beverages after the game where the facility makes it availble. Yes I have and I have no problem with it. If it was a good enough atmosphere for my grandpa and father then I find nothing wrong with it.
    Lets just stop. If your dad or your grandpa went out and,, oh never mind. You will never get it. On to other things BS.

  15. #105
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    I'm out of this debate. I find myself agreeing with BIGZIG and frankly, it frightens me.
    Thanks sticky, I think anyway. I was starting to wonder if I was out here alone. Keep listening, I really do make some sense at times.

Top