Is a compromise about to head off the great divide?

Page 4 of Originally Posted by Wildcat In NKY, parents can pay tuition and send their child to Beechwood, Highlands, or Kenton County schools. Boone Co. schools ... 108 comments | 4359 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    KHSAA doesn't get to make that decision, thats Mr.Bowman's and the Bishop's decision.

    CCH only pulls very a small part of west covington and no other part of covington. There are alot of kids who parents are alumni who live in Erlanger, Edgewood, and Villa Hills who send kids and I see no reason why it should stop.
    The Bishop and the KHSAA need to get on the same page but the chances of that happening are slim.
    As far as who gets Ludlow then I suppose it would have to be CovCath since they are only about 2 miles away but it appears at least recently that most who have left seem to have some sort of connection with Holy Cross. Must be that whole "Turners HC Community" thing that I hear so much about.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    It won't work because people do not want to be told what private school their kids must attend based on where they live or what parish they are a member of.

    I really don't think the Listermans should have been told they cannot attend CovCath where their Dad was a teacher and coach because they didn't live in CovCath's territory.
    It won't work because of one simple reason and that is the private/parochial
    schools play by their own set of rules and that is why unfortunately Proposal 20 has become necessary.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    It won't work because of one simple reason and that is the private/parochial
    schools play by their own set of rules and that is why unfortunately Proposal 20 has become necessary.
    And to what rules would you be referring? The missions of the schools in question? The KHSAA rules that they've been following? Which rules are "their own set of rules"?

    One of the reasons private/parochial schools thrive are because of the family tradition of kids attending schools their parents attended. This means that some students live outside what would be a 20 mile radius, but elect to attend that school because it's what they truely want.

    I guess if it comes down to a kid playing football his freshman year, for instance, or a sitting out a year and still being able to play beginning his sophomore year, the families will STILL elect to send their kids to their school of choice. Maybe then people will see that it's not about the athletics, but about the WHOLE package that private/parochial schools can offer.

    I wonder if any provision will be made to students of private/parochial gradeschools that are outside the 20 mile boundary? I would think that those schools would still be considered feeder schools to the "nearest" private/parochial high school.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    I posted the following in another thread, and realized that it fits here as well:

    If the genuine intent is to balance the playing field by making things as fair as possible for everyone, then the restriction of schools geographically situated along the state border to a 20 mile radius of students “within the state” is extremely unfair.

    A 20 mile radius equals approximately 1,256 square miles. (3.14 x 20 x 20) A school such as Rose Hill Christian in Ashland with a 20 mile “Kentucky-Only” radius would have approximately 565 square miles from which to draw students. This is about 45% of the full 20 mile radius that schools in non-border areas would have to work with.

    In Rose Hill’s case, the only ways to maintain equity would be to include areas within Ohio and West Virginia that fall within the 20 mile radius, or, to extend the “Kentucky Only” radius to include 1,256 square miles within Kentucky, which would equal a radius of approximately 30 miles. I don’t think that transporting kids 30 miles to school is a good idea.

  5. #50
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    Must be that whole "Turners HC Community" thing that I hear so much about.
    Turners connection is why alot of kids attend HC.

  6. #51
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    It won't work because of one simple reason and that is the private/parochial
    schools play by their own set of rules and that is why unfortunately Proposal 20 has become necessary.
    Private schools play by the same rules all the Indpendents in NKY play with. I just don't see how you can't see it. The reason some top athletes from smaller communites attend private schools is because the coaching staffs, overall talents level, and the chance of exposure is greater. Thats the bottom line.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    It is still my belief that the private schools located near the state border (northern Kentucky schools, Louisville schools, Rose Hill in Ashland, and a number of others) would be much better served to leave the KHSAA to the publics and make schedules with the many, many fine schools in neighboring states. The competition would actually be a step up and recruiting, which is done by the publics as much as by the privates in Kentucky, would not present a problem. The privates would do well and the publics could have version of state championships.
    By the way, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language indicates that the primary definition of "impotent" is: "not potent; lacking power or ability". The definition which brought on the junior high responses of a couple of posters is actually listed as definition number 5. Thus, my reference was correct.
    The weakness of your point is EVERYONE that is responsible for parochial school athletic decisions are aware of this option and NONE wish to explore it. Perhaps you need to understand why they do not embrace the idea.

  8. #53
    H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    The Luxury Box at Male's Historic Maxwell Field. LET'S GO BULLDOGS!
    Posts
    4,208

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    It is still my belief that the private schools located near the state border (northern Kentucky schools, Louisville schools, Rose Hill in Ashland, and a number of others) would be much better served to leave the KHSAA to the publics and make schedules with the many, many fine schools in neighboring states. The competition would actually be a step up and recruiting, which is done by the publics as much as by the privates in Kentucky, would not present a problem. The privates would do well and the publics could have version of state championships.
    By the way, Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language indicates that the primary definition of "impotent" is: "not potent; lacking power or ability". The definition which brought on the junior high responses of a couple of posters is actually listed as definition number 5. Thus, my reference was correct.
    The costs of doing this for every sport would be very high. Remember, we're not just talking about football, but basketball, golf, wrestling, soccer, cross country, track, tennis, baseball, etc. That's a lot of mileage to transport teams at a time when fuel prices are very high. And from the perspective of schools in Louisville, you're probably talking about an average 1-2 hour drive to another big population center (Indy, Cinci in some cases) to find decent competition for some sports.

  9. #54
    NDFan4Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Posts
    77

    What about the many non-catholic students that choose to go to the parochial schools--should they be allowed to play? That, to me, is the epitomy of recruiting.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by NDFan4Ever
    What about the many non-catholic students that choose to go to the parochial schools--should they be allowed to play? That, to me, is the epitomy of recruiting.
    Why?
    Catholic school are not just for Catholic religion students. Anyone can attend. Some grade schools in urban areas have more non-Catholic students than Catholic students. It is just like any other private school.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Prop 20 and Prop 1 stupid idea. Male gets people from other counties, Bullit and Shelby County. Does anyone say anything about them? Nope. People are jealous of Trinity and St.X .

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    Prop 20 and Prop 1 stupid idea. Male gets people from other counties, Bullit and Shelby County. Does anyone say anything about them? Nope. People are jealous of Trinity and St.X .
    I have ZERO jealousy of T or X. I live about 2 hours away and pretty much they don't exist in my life. Sorry to burst your bubble.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    I appreciate the posts from SilverShadow and H. If, indeed, the privates are (as SS states) aware of the option but still choose to stay under the thumb of the KHSAA (and, in reality, at the mercy of the publics) and/or if (as H states) the privates cannot financially afford to move on, they must be prepared to always be treated as the "illegitimate relatives" in the family of high school athletics.
    The privates will have about as much influence as does a Southern Baptist Democrat in Utah.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by buckman41ss
    It could work.....if you have a parent that works at the school than i dont have a problem with the kid attending that school public or private....but when you have a kid that lives a stones throw away from lets say Highland Heights city building and he is a very good soccer player and decides he wants to play at Cov Cath instead of the other 2 private schools in his county thats where i have the problem.....but than you could end up with 25 maintance people at the private school....

    What is wrong with parents paying the money to send their child where they think he/she will get the best education and be a part of the best athletic situation for their child possible????????

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    It won't work because of one simple reason and that is the private/parochial
    schools play by their own set of rules and that is why unfortunately Proposal 20 has become necessary.

    In NKY, parents can pay tuition and send their child to Beechwood, Highlands, or Kenton County schools.

    Boone Co. schools don't accept outside students, I don't think.

    Ludlow, Dayton, Bellevue, Lloyd, Newport, & Campbell I don't know.

    If these schools accept tuition students, then how is it different from the Catholic schools?

Top