I don't want to live in a world where Corporations decide what we can and can't do...

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,671

    I don't want to live in a world where Corporations decide what we can and can't do...

    so hopefully we can cut to the chase and the NRA can go ahead and take legal action against Dick's for age discrimination (and anyone like them) and let the Supreme Court decide if America is a land of laws or America is a land of Corporations.

    Yesteryear it was cake, today it is a gun, what will it be tomorrow, next week, next year?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    afi100guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    5 Guys, not just a restaurant name anymore!!
    Posts
    2,949

    Corporations are about making money, plain and simple. If Dick's was making substantial profit on these items, they would not take this stance. If enough people choose not to shop at Dick's because of this, they will change their stance.

  3. #3
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    so hopefully we can cut to the chase and the NRA can go ahead and take legal action against Dick's (and anyone like them) and let the Supreme Court decide if America is a land of laws or America is a land of Corporations.

    Yesteryear it was cake, today it is a gun, what will it be tomorrow, next week, next year?
    How is this any different than what you do on here?

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,671

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    How is this any different than what you do on here?
    There are a lot of parallels, I agree with that.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,881

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    so hopefully we can cut to the chase and the NRA can go ahead and take legal action against Dick's (and anyone like them) and let the Supreme Court decide if America is a land of laws or America is a land of Corporations.

    Yesteryear it was cake, today it is a gun, what will it be tomorrow, next week, next year?
    Legal action for what? Because they don’t want put to sell a particular product? What about all the other guns that are out there that, for whatever reason, Dicks has decided not to sell? Do we force them to stock and sell everything? Or because they won’t sell to a particular age group? Maybe we should then go after car rental companies who won’t rent to anyone under 25, or if they do, they charge higher rates? In a free market, companies need to have the freedom to do what they think is best for their business, within the framework of the law.

  6. #6
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,671

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Legal action for what? Because they don’t want put to sell a particular product? What about all the other guns that are out there that, for whatever reason, Dicks has decided not to sell? Do we force them to stock and sell everything? Or because they won’t sell to a particular age group? Maybe we should then go after car rental companies who won’t rent to anyone under 25, or if they do, they charge higher rates? In a free market, companies need to have the freedom to do what they think is best for their business, within the framework of the law.

    Discrimination - the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

  7. #7
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,376

    I don't want to live in a world where lobbying groups decide what we can and can't do...


  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,671

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    I don't want to live in a world where lobbying groups decide what we can and can't do...
    I agree, the law is the law.

  9. #9
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,376

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I agree, the law is the law.
    I don't want dollars determining the law.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    I don't want to live in a world where lobbying groups decide what we can and can't do...
    Thats the world we live in today. Medicine, Doctor Care, Guns, Food the list goes on.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    I don't want dollars determining the law.
    Again, thats the world we live in today, and has been that way since 1776 and well before.

  12. #12
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,671

    Quote Originally Posted by True blue (and gold) View Post
    I don't want dollars determining the law.
    Me either but that is exactly what Dick's is doing, they are making a financial decision.

  13. #13
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,773

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    so hopefully we can cut to the chase and the NRA can go ahead and take legal action against Dick's (and anyone like them) and let the Supreme Court decide if America is a land of laws or America is a land of Corporations.

    Yesteryear it was cake, today it is a gun, what will it be tomorrow, next week, next year?
    As a business why shouldn't Dick's be able to be free to have in their inventory only those products which they want to sell?

    If I ran a baked chicken restaurant, should I be forced to also sell deep fried chicken? If people want deep fried chicken they can go to another restaurant that sells it.

    If people want to be irresponsible and unhealthy with their lives it's not my responsibility as a business owner to provide for them that which can cause them or others harm.

  14. #14
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,671

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Ball-fan View Post
    As a business why shouldn't Dick's be able to be free to have in their inventory only those products which they want to sell?

    If I ran a baked chicken restaurant, should I be forced to also sell deep fried chicken? If people want deep fried chicken they can go to another restaurant that sells it.

    If people want to be irresponsible and unhealthy with their lives it's not my responsibility as a business owner to provide for them that which can cause them or others harm.
    Apples and Oranges.

    This is about Dick's deciding what age is appropriate for a certain product above and beyond what the law says, that is age based discrimination.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Apples and Oranges.

    This is about Dick's deciding what age is appropriate for a certain product above and beyond what the law says, that is age based discrimination.
    I agree with you, that is my issue as well. If they dont want to sell a particular type of inventory, thats fine, who they sell it too, is an issue, specifically when its pretty clear we have to sell/make cakes for everyone.

Top