How is this NOT Recruiting???

Page 4 of Originally Posted by Rambo4343 One of these schools invited me to the game. I am from Texas and I was flown to Louisville on a private jet. They wined ... 62 comments | 4462 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    A2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    on the diamond
    Posts
    566

    Quote Originally Posted by STRIKE3
    Here is my opinion....

    I've had the honor and privilege to get to know Coach Branch over the years when at Seneca, he is a class act and one of the best people I have met in or out of coaching. If players attended Seneca because of "his name", than in my opinion it was to play for the man, who has a very impressive playing resume, rather than him recruiting them.

    He has dismissed players off the Seneca team, from discipline to other...he has more integrity than most people I have met. He practices with a passion and loves teaching the game. He finished the season at Seneca last year, with different players he began with, after dismissing several. He cared more about those players and his team, learning life lessons than his record.

    He's been in my home, is welcome in my home and I'm proud to call him my friend and NO ONE....should be attacking this man's character....NO ONE.

    I take great exception to anyone questioning this man's integrity.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    LvlleTrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,371

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Corps
    There is a Tony Branch that plays football for Male HS. Does anyone know if he is related to Tony Branch the AD at Jeff?
    Yes, thats Coach Branch's son.

  3. #48

  4. Old Corps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    311

    In regards to Mr. Branch's letter, I find it rather ironic that he can choose to live in KY but work in IN, but according to him, parents can't choose to make a similar decision in regards to their children's education. Especially when parents are paying for the education, not taxpayers. Seems rather condescending and self-serving to me.

    There are many families that live in IN but work in KY and taking their children to school in Louisville is actually easier on the family transportation wise. Given the fact that transportation is not that big of an issue in the Louisville- Southern Indiana area, along with the number of private schools parents have to choose from in Louisville vs IN, why is anyone surprised that families choose to send their children to schools in Louisville every day? I would also suggest that the ratio of athletes/students from IN that attend St. X or T will be about the same or less than the rest of the student body.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    276

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Corps
    In regards to Mr. Branch's letter, I find it rather ironic that he can choose to live in KY but work in IN, but according to him, parents can't choose to make a similar decision in regards to their children's education. Especially when parents are paying for the education, not taxpayers. Seems rather condescending and self-serving to me.

    There are many families that live in IN but work in KY and taking their children to school in Louisville is actually easier on the family transportation wise. Given the fact that transportation is not that big of an issue in the Louisville- Southern Indiana area, along with the number of private schools parents have to choose from in Louisville vs IN, why is anyone surprised that families choose to send their children to schools in Louisville every day? I would also suggest that the ratio of athletes/students from IN that attend St. X or T will be about the same or less than the rest of the student body.
    Very good points, all.

  6. #51
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGuy41017
    He says things or obvious to him? Well, a lot of times that is not really the case, and people take liberties and see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. Did the player, parent or relative talk to someone from these schools then get ask for a card or number? I am guessing there private school kids from Indiana had someone looking over their head being forced to email or call the KY schools? Maybe the school wasn't the one who made first contact, did he ever think of that? Also EVERY email has a block system, if the emails are unwanted they simply could have blocked the sender. Nothing wrong with inviting kids to an open house, Shadowing is something ALL schools should do for prospective incoming students, hey ALL schools could do this too. Again no one is being forced to do go, as long as they don't guarantee playing time in sports it's legal under KHSAA rules. The last part where he talks about financial aid, maybe a parent or the player mentioned concerns over the cost of attending the school and it was simply brought up that they COULD receive help, as ALL of their students COULD.
    Maybe just maybe the public high schools should be doing the same thing and getting the 8th grade public school kids to shadow. But they won't because of the mentality that the public schools own the public grade school graduates and are entitled to them. Baloney. You own no one. You are entitled to no one. Go convince the kids and their parents that your high school is the best one for them. And if you won't or you can't, don't complain when the kid goes somewhere else.

  7. #52
    LvlleTrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,371

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    Maybe just maybe the public high schools should be doing the same thing and getting the 8th grade public school kids to shadow. But they won't because of the mentality that the public schools own the public grade school graduates and are entitled to them. Baloney. You own no one. You are entitled to no one. Go convince the kids and their parents that your high school is the best one for them. And if you won't or you can't, don't complain when the kid goes somewhere else.
    Actually JCPS schools do have a shadowing program......we have open enrollment so its one way a student get to look at a schools prograqms

  8. #53
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,311

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    High school rules are not as strict as the NCAA's.
    Not true in all instances.
    We have a senior who transferred to another school and then came back last January. The KHSAA ruled him ineligible for one year. He cannot play or practice until January 2006. I understand the not playing part, but I don't understand why he can't practice with the team. Randolph Morris is practicing with Kentucky right now. How on earth can an athlete be in condition and ready to play when they do eventually become eligible? It's not fair to these kids, and could lead to a serious injury. Sitting out for one year is punishment enough, not being allowed to practice is going way overboard. The Delegate Assembly and the BOC need to change this rule to match what the NCAA is doing. How could Morris be any help to UK if he's not permitted to practice with the team until he's ruled eligible by the NCAA. It's the same with high school kids.

  9. #54
    LvlleTrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,371

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor
    Not true in all instances.
    We have a senior who transferred to another school and then came back last January. The KHSAA ruled him ineligible for one year. He cannot play or practice until January 2006. I understand the not playing part, but I don't understand why he can't practice with the team. Randolph Morris is practicing with Kentucky right now. How on earth can an athlete be in condition and ready to play when they do eventually become eligible? It's not fair to these kids, and could lead to a serious injury. Sitting out for one year is punishment enough, not being allowed to practice is going way overboard. The Delegate Assembly and the BOC need to change this rule to match what the NCAA is doing. How could Morris be any help to UK if he's not permitted to practice with the team until he's ruled eligible by the NCAA. It's the same with high school kids.
    transfers cant play or practice because they dont have any catastrophic insurance coverage. it doesnt kick in till they join the team and they cant join till they are cleared "legally".

  10. #55
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,311

    Quote Originally Posted by LvlleTrack
    transfers cant play or practice because they dont have any catastrophic insurance coverage. it doesnt kick in till they join the team and they cant join till they are cleared "legally".
    What if the atllete could pay for their own catastrophic insurance coverage, and sign an agreement that the school is not responsible if anything happens?

  11. #56
    LvlleTrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,371

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor
    What if the atllete could pay for their own catastrophic insurance coverage, and sign an agreement that the school is not responsible if anything happens?
    from what I hear the KHSAA has a hard enough time paying this. I imagine it wouldnt be reasonable for an individual to pay it for such a short time.. Plus why go through all this when you can just wait a month or so(if the other school gets the papers back quickly) As for signing an agreement..........LAWYERS . I dont think there is any such thing as a legal agreement anymore Not when there is a possible big payday

  12. #57
    Old Corps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    311

    Quote Originally Posted by LvlleTrack
    from what I hear the KHSAA has a hard enough time paying this. I imagine it wouldnt be reasonable for an individual to pay it for such a short time.. Plus why go through all this when you can just wait a month or so(if the other school gets the papers back quickly) As for signing an agreement..........LAWYERS . I dont think there is any such thing as a legal agreement anymore Not when there is a possible big payday
    I am sure the KHSAA is strapped for funds, but realistically we talking about increasing the number of students covered under this insurance policy by 1% at most. It would cost the KHSAA more money to collect insurance premiums from affected families than the incremental policy costs. Surely the KHSAA could come up with a "designation" for transfers that can practice but not play and be covered under the insurance policy. The KHSAA is supposed to be looking out for the studentís best interest, not what is convenient for them.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerKat
    I have coached for a catholic grade school for years and played for one and never has that happened. That is a flat out false statement.

    I have been on the sideline for a couple of State Final Games and I had to have a sideline Pass. The School was only granted limited amounts of these sideline Passes. Thus how would any School get enough Passes for this practice?

  14. #59
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by LvlleTrack
    Actually JCPS schools do have a shadowing program......we have open enrollment so its one way a student get to look at a schools prograqms

    Great. Does every public school aggressively use the shadowing plan? Sounds like the public schools are recruiting for students just like the private schools do in J County. And I have no problem with that. Its the way it should be.

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by RAZA
    I have been on the sideline for a couple of State Final Games and I had to have a sideline Pass. The School was only granted limited amounts of these sideline Passes. Thus how would any School get enough Passes for this practice?

    One of these schools invited me to the game. I am from Texas and I was flown to Louisville on a private jet. They wined and dined me and I got a sideline pass to the game. I also was driven to and from the game in a limo, where I met with boosters and alumni. I had a blast, too bad I didn't come, Kentucky High School football is horrible and I would of been Mr. Football and I am glad because I would of ended up at either Kentucky or Louisville(choke).

Top