House Bill 290, home school "teams" and KHSAA teams

Page 2 of House Bill 290, the "Freedom to Play" bill, has passed out of committee and will be voted on, and looks like will pass. The bill allows TEAMS... 58 comments | 4488 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Thanks!

    I would imagine the very smallest schools in areas where there aren't a lot of small schools (Danville Christian, Frankfort Christian, Burgin, KSD in my neck of the woods) would benefit from having a few more potential opponents. I doubt many of the biggest schools would see any changes.
    Agreed. Scott County wont be scheduling the Georgetown Home school Crusaders any time soon. However, there are a couple of home school teams (we played them this year) that can more than compete with smaller, and even some not-all-that-small KHSAA school teams. In all, it does allow the Silver Groves and Covington Latins of the world more choice/ability to competitively schedule. And I'm quite sure most of the home school teams will be more than happy to schedule schools such as those I mentioned.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,181

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Then upon further thought, it's pointless and doesn't really accomplish anything positive IMO.
    Home-schooling has its perks just like traditional schooling does.

  3. #18
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Then upon further thought, it's pointless and doesn't really accomplish anything positive IMO.
    And why do you think that? And the Tim Tebow rule will never get passed here, it just won't. That was brought up. It also wasn't the intent of the act. Here is a video link discussing act yesterday. The discussion starts at the 1:29:00 mark. I know Gavin (speaking in the video) and have played against his teams the past few years.

    https://www.ket.org/legislature/?arc...a=WGAOS+019087

  4. #19
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    50,681

    If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

    Is that correct?

  5. #20
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,290

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Home-schooling has its perks just like traditional schooling does.
    No doubt, and I'm cool if that's how people feel. But at the end of the day, we're talking about something that is as pointless as HS sports and extracurriculars. Most home-schooled kids don't make the choice to be home-schooled, it's done for them. I'm not a big fan of them not being given the opportunity to participate because of that.

  6. #21
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    55,181

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    No doubt, and I'm cool if that's how people feel. But at the end of the day, we're talking about something that is as pointless as HS sports and extracurriculars. Most home-schooled kids don't make the choice to be home-schooled, it's done for them. I'm not a big fan of them not being given the opportunity to participate because of that.
    Until you are 18, many decisions are made for you and you have to deal with the consequences. I don't know why this situation would be any different.

  7. #22
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,290

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Until you are 18, many decisions are made for you and you have to deal with the consequences. I don't know why this situation would be any different.
    Like I said, that's cool if that's how you feel. I simply don't agree.

  8. #23
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    44,115

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

    Is that correct?
    Looks like it to me, yes.

  9. #24
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    44,115

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    No doubt, and I'm cool if that's how people feel. But at the end of the day, we're talking about something that is as pointless as HS sports and extracurriculars. Most home-schooled kids don't make the choice to be home-schooled, it's done for them. I'm not a big fan of them not being given the opportunity to participate because of that.
    Parents of private school kids make the choice to put them in private schools. What is your opinion on private schools competing within the KHSAA?

  10. #25
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,290

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Parents of private school kids make the choice to put them in private schools. What is your opinion on private schools competing within the KHSAA?
    They do compete in the KHSAA....

  11. #26
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,802

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

    Is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Looks like it to me, yes.
    Could you imagine some of the team names?

    We could have the Dry Ridge Dropouts vs. the Hazard Homeschoolers.

  12. #27
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

    Is that correct?
    I guess that could happen. Nothing to prevent it I guess, other than the students having to adhere to KY home school policy and dictates, which I'm not familiar with. Ma'ma couldn't just pull Jr. out of school and claim he's being home schooled to be able to play on some certain home school team, there are requirements Jr. would have to meet and maintain.

    And remember, the KHSAA schools are the ones with the choice to schedule these teams or not. If someone was trying to skirt the intent of this whole thing, I'd say KHSAA coaches would be apt not to schedule them, and might would be told not to do so by the KHSAA themselves.

  13. #28
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    154,802

    On a more serious note, if the KHSAA is going to seed for the playoffs they will have to account for games against Home Schooled teams in addition to time of running clock and out of state opponents.

    Oh what a tangled web we weave!

  14. #29
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    9,517

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    On a more serious note, if the KHSAA is going to seed for the playoffs they will have to account for games against Home Schooled teams in addition to time of running clock and out of state opponents.

    Oh what a tangled web we weave!
    ???Not sure I follow you here Ru.

  15. #30
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    44,115

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    They do compete in the KHSAA....
    My apologies...I misread the last sentence in the post I quoted. Missed the second "not".

Top