Fees To Play High School Sports

Page 2 of In the softball thread a poster posted that he has to pay a lot of money to have two kids play softball and baseball. As I told him I've been out of th... 22 comments | 1578 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Posts
    211

    The county schools could generate so much money no kid should pay for any sport to participate. Why they donít use their gyms and fields to organize their own leagues and charge like sports of all sorts is beyond me. Host aau tournaments like Louisville schools do is baffeling. Scott co has basketball games all summer long in their gyms with their own high schools working it and playing all summer long.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Posts
    11,030

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball1235 View Post
    The county schools could generate so much money no kid should pay for any sport to participate. Why they don’t use their gyms and fields to organize their own leagues and charge like sports of all sorts is beyond me. Host aau tournaments like Louisville schools do is baffeling. Scott co has basketball games all summer long in their gyms with their own high schools working it and playing all summer long.
    Kenton County’s policies around field and gym usage is a joke. Their fees are extremely high, and the money goes to the school board, not the school. Therefore, AD’s don’t want to waste their time hosting events in which they don’t get anything in return.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 17
    Posts
    211

    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    Kenton County’s policies around field and gym usage is a joke. Their fees are extremely high, and the money goes to the school board, not the school. Therefore, AD’s don’t want to waste their time hosting events in which they don’t get anything in return.
    Kenton co is a joke period. Has the most resources and produces the least. Boone and Campbell out perform Kenton. At least Kenton co rid themselves of cox-curry.

  4. #19
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,122

    I don't recall paying fees, however, involvement in fund-raising to support the teams was mandatory as this was the way to eliminate fees to participants.

    BTW, I think this is the ticket. Rich, middle or poor can participate equally in fund-raising activities just as they can participate in the sport. For example, I remember one year working as parking attendants for the state cross-country meet (in a hard rain). Running the concession stand was a given for parents.

    I will add, these can become team and parent bonding activities as well.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    I don't recall paying fees, however, involvement in fund-raising to support the teams was mandatory as this was the way to eliminate fees to participants.

    BTW, I think this is the ticket. Rich, middle or poor can participate equally in fund-raising activities just as they can participate in the sport. For example, I remember one year working as parking attendants for the state cross-country meet (in a hard rain). Running the concession stand was a given for parents.

    I will add, these can become team and parent bonding activities as well.
    Only problem is the new rules clearly state you cant make anyone do any of what you listed.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    127

    Ours are $150 per year per kid and they are expected to participate in fundraising. We are one of the schools that does the mulch sale and every athlete is expected to deliver mulch for 8 hours per sport they play or find a parent/grandparent whatever to do it in their place if there is absolutely no way they can fit it in. I like that the kids are expected to help out and have some skin in the game. Of course there was socks and belts for baseball and a "kit" for soccer, but this didn't amount to too much.

  7. #22
    doomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    Up Elkhorn Creek, sometimes without a paddle.
    Posts
    7,122

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Only problem is the new rules clearly state you cant make anyone do any of what you listed.
    How would that be enforceable if it is a team activity?....ie. don't raise funds, then ok, but you don't play.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by doomer View Post
    How would that be enforceable if it is a team activity?....ie. don't raise funds, then ok, but you don't play.
    New rules are pretty clear, you cant force anyone to participate in fundraising of any kind.

Top