ESPN Host calls for boycott of NFL advertisers.

Page 6 of After Jerry jones issued the statement of Dallas players having to stand. ESPN host calls on people to boycott the advertisers. Isnt the NFL ESPNs bigg... 202 comments | 3622 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #76
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,260

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    I thought you wanted people to talk about it. I thought that was the point you all were making.
    My point is and always has been: let the players do what they want to do. I just want to watch football.
    Advertisement

  2. #77
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,781

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    So what if their claims are false? FWIW I think to deny that their are still forms of institutional racism in this country is borderline ignorance. But who are we to tell them they can't kneel?
    I never made a claim there wasn't institutionalized racism. I think the media and these players are being dishonest about the police.

    I'm not telling them they can't take a knee, but people have the right to disagree with them without being called racist. It seems some are telling Pence he can't do what he did, or had no right to as the Vice-president. The flip flopping and misconceptions on peoples rights are rather ridiculous though.

  3. #78
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,781

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    My point is and always has been: let the players do what they want to do. I just want to watch football.
    And all most people want is to watch a sport without it being politicized.

  4. #79
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Regardless of color, all soldiers who fall come back wearing red, white, and blue.
    Posts
    20,089

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Simmons' firing came after being suspended by ESPN and returning to work. A bit misleading to say he was simply let go for criticizing the NFL. He was, but it built over time.
    So we agree that he was. Check, Roger that.

    NFL might have a larger problem, looks like their near tax exemption status has been questioned in DC now.

  5. #80
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,260

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    And all most people want is to watch a sport without it being politicized.
    You're participating in the politicalization of the sport when you tell them to stand.

  6. #81

    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    Ho ho ho 4 in a row
    Posts
    6,798

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    2 week vacation vs something Bill Simmons basically got fired for, speaking against the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Simmons' firing came after being suspended by ESPN and returning to work. A bit misleading to say he was simply let go for criticizing the NFL. He was, but it built over time.
    Alder, the tennis commentator, was fired for his remarks about Williams by ESPN. Hill makes remarks about the POTUS and gets 2 weeks. The punishments are vastly different so does this stance help Alder in his wrongful firing law suit against ESPN?

  7. #82
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    38,752

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
    Alder, the tennis commentator, was fired for his remarks about Williams by ESPN. Hill makes remarks about the POTUS and gets 2 weeks. The punishments are vastly different so does this stance help Alder in his wrongful firing law suit against ESPN?
    I hope so. That dude was royally worked over. I can understand the suspensions of Simmons and Hill, whether you agree with them or not, from a business standpoint I get it.

  8. #83
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,416

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
    Alder, the tennis commentator, was fired for his remarks about Williams by ESPN. Hill makes remarks about the POTUS and gets 2 weeks. The punishments are vastly different so does this stance help Alder in his wrongful firing law suit against ESPN?
    He's going to win and get a HUGE payday. Not only for the firing, but for the subsequent heart attack he had that medical professionals linked as a direct result of his firing.

  9. #84
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Regardless of color, all soldiers who fall come back wearing red, white, and blue.
    Posts
    20,089

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
    Alder, the tennis commentator, was fired for his remarks about Williams by ESPN. Hill makes remarks about the POTUS and gets 2 weeks. The punishments are vastly different so does this stance help Alder in his wrongful firing law suit against ESPN?
    I don’t want this thread shutdown but one would have to believe so. ESPN is facing a bigger problem than cord cutting, politics and everyone wanting to add their 2 cents.

  10. #85
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,781

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    You're participating in the politicalization of the sport when you tell them to stand.
    No, I'm not because I'm not telling them what to do. I'm telling people on here why I think it's the wrong forum for them. Nice try, though.

  11. #86
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,260

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    No, I'm not because I'm not telling them what to do. I'm telling people on here why I think it's the wrong forum for them. Nice try, though.
    "You" was a broad term to describe the people you support, who are politicizing the sport.

  12. #87
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,260

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    I never made a claim there wasn't institutionalized racism. I think the media and these players are being dishonest about the police.

    I'm not telling them they can't take a knee, but people have the right to disagree with them without being called racist. It seems some are telling Pence he can't do what he did, or had no right to as the Vice-president. The flip flopping and misconceptions on peoples rights are rather ridiculous though.
    Nobody is saying this. Who in there right mind would say he shouldn't have been allowed to leave a football game? That just doesn't make sense. What people are saying is that he comes off as extremely petty and lacks self-awareness. He looked like a fool. Everyone knows the 49ers kneel, so he goes to a game and leaves when he sees what he knows he is going to see? Thats simply a waste of time, money, and effort. You want people to stop kneeling, don't give them a platform. How many people were kneeling before Trumps remarks vs. after? It's night and day. The kneeling stuff would have faded away had Trump not said anything. But yeah the players are the ones politicizing, not the person actively involved in politics...

  13. #88
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,592

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I always do and always will. The vast majority of NFL players do too. But find another country to live in if you think you have the right to tell them to stand.
    If I'm paying someone 10 million a year, I have every right to tell them what do at work. If they want to kneel at home when they hear the National Anthem then go for it. But when at my place and on my dime, you do as I want.

  14. #89
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    6,260

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    If I'm paying someone 10 million a year, I have every right to tell them what do at work. If they want to kneel at home when they hear the National Anthem then go for it. But when at my place and on my dime, you do as I want.
    That is absolutely your right if you are Jerry Jones. Lets see what happens when Dak, Zeke, or Dez kneel though. In the end the players are still holding all the cards.

  15. #90
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,416

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    That is absolutely your right if you are Jerry Jones. Lets see what happens when Dak, Zeke, or Dez kneel though. In the end the players are still holding all the cards.
    Correct.

    Everyone knows what will happen. Jerry won't do a darn thing. It's a good soundbite to take the focus off his team's crappy play, but it's a hollow threat and everyone knows it.

Top