Enforce The Laws In Place????

Page 2 of Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach Open enrollment should be for improving the education of a child, not to field strong athletic teams. If there is... 37 comments | 1565 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GRIDMANIAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    367

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    I'd wager that most "recruiting" really takes this kind of form. Conversations among parents, friends, classmates, etc. Certainly <b>not</b> in the form of official letters, etc. from the schools or atheletic departments. I'd go on to say that it's usually in the form of suggestions by well-intended people who believe that they have the students' best interests in mind. Just to use a completely hypothetical example, suppose you're confident that your 8th grade nephew in Bourbon County has the makings of a D1 linebacker (again, purely hypothetical). You might talk with your sister and discuss such things as helping her move into Scott or Fayette or Harrison County. If they can't or don't want to move, they might consider a daily commute for "Junior" down the newly widened SR-25 to LexCath or LCA for a few years. Any of those schools are going to be happy to have "Junior" but none of them had anything to do with recruiting him except that they have had recent success in football.

    "Junior" and his parents might even (and probably ought to) go visit some of those schools and check out their facilities. Next, they might even ask to talk with the head coachs too. It's starting to look pretty suspicious to a lot of folks now but it's still all about "Junior" and what's "best" for him.

    When "Junior" and his parents finally make their decision, it causes some hard feelings back in Bourbon County (there are still many who remember how great it used to be). It also prompts allegations that "Junior" was recruited but as far as what really happened, there's not really much anyone can do about it.

    Now, how's the KHSAA going to stop people from doing what they think is in their best interest? Then, how are they going to stop well-meaning people from doing what they think is in the best interest of their family, friends, neighbors, and aquaintances?
    Well put! A lot of people, myself included, don't have a problem with kids going to other schools if that's what's best for them.However, private and open enrollment schools have a decided advantage because of the scenario you showed.That is precisely why IMO,there should be a class designation for those schools!I don't think it's cheating because they can have kids from all over, but it gives them an advantage.All who read this ,please don't say all schools can have open enrollment,I am aware of this!Myself ,my children and their coaches are also aware ,but we do not get to make that decision!I am quite sure there are more schools that DON'T HAVE OPEN ENROLLMENT THAN DO, as expressed in the khsaa member vote!If all the board members were put in on popular vote, I'm sure not many would get re-elected!
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    I've heard in some areas in the U.S. That is a coach is caught recruiting that they are no longer allowed to coach at all in that state. No probations or slap on the wrist. You are finished.

  3. #18
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by GRIDMANIAC
    Well put! A lot of people, myself included, don't have a problem with kids going to other schools if that's what's best for them.However, private and open enrollment schools have a decided advantage because of the scenario you showed.That is precisely why IMO,there should be a class designation for those schools!I don't think it's cheating because they can have kids from all over, but it gives them an advantage.All who read this ,please don't say all schools can have open enrollment,I am aware of this!Myself ,my children and their coaches are also aware ,but we do not get to make that decision!I am quite sure there are more schools that DON'T HAVE OPEN ENROLLMENT THAN DO, as expressed in the khsaa member vote!If all the board members were put in on popular vote, I'm sure not many would get re-elected!

    You may not get to make that decision but your local school board of education does. Have you and the other supporters of athletics at your school called your school board of education members to tell them to allow open enrollment? If no, why not? If yes and your school board voted not to allow open enrollment, what was their rationale? I have my theory, but I'd love to know what their rationale was for not permitting open enrollment.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    You may not get to make that decision but your local school board of education does. Have you and the other supporters of athletics at your school called your school board of education members to tell them to allow open enrollment? If no, why not? If yes and your school board voted not to allow open enrollment, what was their rationale? I have my theory, but I'd love to know what their rationale was for not permitting open enrollment.
    Open enrollment should be for improving the education of a child, not to field strong athletic teams. If there is a good educationally reason for open enrollment, enlighten me please because I cannot see one. I see an athletic advantage and do not think that should be the business of school systems.

  5. #20
    onetoya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Ashland: Tomcat Country
    Posts
    4,869

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbob
    BGGreen's solution is good. My addendum would be that the rules, while being strictly enforced, should be enforced without prejudice in regard to whether the "offender" is public or private. Further, when accusations are made, the accuser should be publicly identified- no more anonymous telephone calls. Finally, if a particular school is guilty of repeated baseless accusations, that school should be severely punished- possibly the same punishment that it sought to cause for the school it falsely accused. In other words, let's make all schools accountable on both ends of the issue.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,156

    Quote Originally Posted by onetoya

    Why?

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Open enrollment should be for improving the education of a child, not to field strong athletic teams. If there is a good educationally reason for open enrollment, enlighten me please because I cannot see one. I see an athletic advantage and do not think that should be the business of school systems.
    There are advantages to open enrollment that are purely educational. It allows people to vote with their feet. If they are not satisfied with the education their children are receiving they would have the option of moving to a different school. The competition among schools would cause schools to either improve or go out of business.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    There are advantages to open enrollment that are purely educational. It allows people to vote with their feet. If they are not satisfied with the education their children are receiving they would have the option of moving to a different school. The competition among schools would cause schools to either improve or go out of business.
    City schools, that might be a possibility. Rural schools not really a possibility.
    Travel time make it not a realistic possibility for most.

    Upper middle class and upper class that is a possibility. Lower middle class and lower class that is not a possibility. Cannot afford the tuition and no financial assistance is provided. As well as transportation becomes a problem.

    Before you attack me, remember I am FOR a voucher system.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    City schools, that might be a possibility. Rural schools not really a possibility.
    Travel time make it not a realistic possibility for most.

    Upper middle class and upper class that is a possibility. Lower middle class and lower class that is not a possibility. Cannot afford the tuition and no financial assistance is provided. As well as transportation becomes a problem.

    Before you attack me, remember I am FOR a voucher system.
    I have no intention of attacking you. I agree that school choice is a problem in rural areas. There will also be parents that won't make any effort to improve their kids situation. That is no reason to not do it.

  10. #25
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    You may not get to make that decision but your local school board of education does. Have you and the other supporters of athletics at your school called your school board of education members to tell them to allow open enrollment? If no, why not? If yes and your school board voted not to allow open enrollment, what was their rationale? I have my theory, but I'd love to know what their rationale was for not permitting open enrollment.
    Does your theory have to do with effort?

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    City schools, that might be a possibility. Rural schools not really a possibility.
    Travel time make it not a realistic possibility for most.

    Upper middle class and upper class that is a possibility. Lower middle class and lower class that is not a possibility. Cannot afford the tuition and no financial assistance is provided. As well as transportation becomes a problem.

    Before you attack me, remember I am FOR a voucher system.
    If education for their children is important enough then the parents can (and should) move from a rural area that has a poor school to somewhere where the school is better.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    If education for their children is important enough then the parents can (and should) move from a rural area that has a poor school to somewhere where the school is better.
    Why are you assuming the schools are poor? As I have stated in the past, Pendleton County has a Nobel Prize winner in Science for his work in DNA. Any other school, private or public have a Nobel Prize winner?

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Why are you assuming the schools are poor? As I have stated in the past, Pendleton County has a Nobel Prize winner in Science for his work in DNA. Any other school, private or public have a Nobel Prize winner?
    I assumed nothing, you were the one that started talking about the disadvantages of small rural schools. I simply stated that IF the rural schools are not capable of providing an good education then the parents should move, after all the education is the most important thing isn't it? If the schools are that good then why is athletics such an issue? After all didn't you say "I see an athletic advantage and do not think that should be the business of school systems". If that is your stance then why do you support the administrators that are pushing Prop 20, because as you say seeking an athletic advantage should not be the business of a school system.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Posts
    2,675

    Automatic, you are not likely to get a reply from onetoya to your query. Onetoya, by environment, had to take a shot at my proposal. Onetoya has close ties to Ashland. I, as he knows, have close ties to Rose Hill. Thus, any proposal presented by me or any other Rose Hill poster must be opposed by onetoya and some of the other Ashlander posters. That is how it works up here in northeastern Kentucky.
    Of course, he may oppose any proposal of mutual accountability for partisan reasons. After all, no school east of Lexington has more out of district athletes and "transfers" than does Ashland. That has been the case for years. Also, Ashland is notorious in this part of the state for making those calls to KHSAA to report its "neighbors". Therefore, to support equal application of the rules and to make the "whistleblowers" stand up and be responsible for their actions would not be in the best interests of Ashland. So, I suppose, onetoya really was only indicating that he was being a partisan who has no interest in truly taking the steps needed to "level" that By-Law 10 playing field.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,156

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbob
    Automatic, you are not likely to get a reply from onetoya to your query. Onetoya, by environment, had to take a shot at my proposal. Onetoya has close ties to Ashland. I, as he knows, have close ties to Rose Hill. Thus, any proposal presented by me or any other Rose Hill poster must be opposed by onetoya and some of the other Ashlander posters. That is how it works up here in northeastern Kentucky.
    Of course, he may oppose any proposal of mutual accountability for partisan reasons. After all, no school east of Lexington has more out of district athletes and "transfers" than does Ashland. That has been the case for years. Also, Ashland is notorious in this part of the state for making those calls to KHSAA to report its "neighbors". Therefore, to support equal application of the rules and to make the "whistleblowers" stand up and be responsible for their actions would not be in the best interests of Ashland. So, I suppose, onetoya really was only indicating that he was being a partisan who has no interest in truly taking the steps needed to "level" that By-Law 10 playing field.

    Thanks, I had a feeling this was it, and I 100% agree with your previous post. I was just wondering how one could actually oppose it, and if he would even have any reasonable basis for his reply.

Top