Drivers Who Hit Protesters Purposely Blocking Traffic Are Immune From Civic Liability

Page 3 of TN bill: Drivers who hit protesters immune to civil liability | WTVC... 60 comments | 2079 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    5,586

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    In Kentucky I think a Police Officer could easily charge a protester blocking a roadway with Felony Wanton Endangerment.

    And personally speaking, I better not feel threatened by anyone blocking my path or I will definitely accelerate to reach a safe place.
    Thanks, wasn't sure what it was officially called here.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    127,646

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Thanks, wasn't sure what it was officially called here.
    I got you @CincySportsFan

  3. #33
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Deplorable
    Posts
    21,571

    If "protestors" are purposely blocking the road, thus depriving others right to move freely, then yes, you are a criminal. In my opinion, this could be articulated.

    509.020 Unlawful imprisonment in the first degree.
    (1) A person is guilty of unlawful imprisonment in the first degree when he knowingly and unlawfully restrains another person under circumstances which expose that person to a risk of serious physical injury.
    (2) Unlawful imprisonment in the first degree is a Class D felony.

  4. #34
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,119

    I wonder if Farm Bureau would cover me just like hitting a deer?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    989

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I wonder if Farm Bureau would cover me just like hitting a deer?
    Seems logical that they should. LOL

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,104

    Run them all over.

  7. #37
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    3,514

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I wonder if Farm Bureau would cover me just like hitting a deer?
    You should install some protestor whistles on your vehicle. I hear it's supposed to alert them and they'll get off the highway.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    1,009

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    In Kentucky I think a Police Officer could easily charge a protester blocking a roadway with Felony Wanton Endangerment.

    And personally speaking, I better not feel threatened by anyone blocking my path or I will definitely accelerate to reach a safe place.
    I agree completely. I also believe that property owners who shoot looters while protecting their stores during riots or natural disasters should be immune from civil liability and criminal prosecution. IMO, a person's place of business is no different than a person's residence. An American citizen should have an absolute right to protect both from plunder and to protect those individuals living or working within their premises.

  9. #39
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    56,282

    From the first paragraph:

    "The bill says a driver would not be immune from civil liability - if the actions leading up to injuries were willful."

    Serious question. Are some of you saying that you would willfully plow into a crowd of protesters? Is that where we are on this? Am I reading that sentence wrong?



  10. #40
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    16,332

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    From the first paragraph:

    "The bill says a driver would not be immune from civil liability - if the actions leading up to injuries were willful."

    Serious question. Are some of you saying that you would willfully plow into a crowd of protesters? Is that where we are on this? Am I reading that sentence wrong?


    Am I hitting the gas to plow through them, no. Am I hitting the breaks to stop (so they can attack me) no.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    1,009

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    From the first paragraph:

    "The bill says a driver would not be immune from civil liability - if the actions leading up to injuries were willful."

    Serious question. Are some of you saying that you would willfully plow into a crowd of protesters? Is that where we are on this? Am I reading that sentence wrong?


    If I felt that my life and the life of my family was in danger, I would absolutely lay on my horn and accelerate. If a mob intentionally attempts to intimidate you by preventing you from escaping their grasps, it is no different than being kidnapped. If you are lucky, you will escape unharmed. The alternative is to risk the beating of your life. Rodney King got off easy compared to Reginald Denny.

  12. #42
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    5,586

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    From the first paragraph:

    "The bill says a driver would not be immune from civil liability - if the actions leading up to injuries were willful."

    Serious question. Are some of you saying that you would willfully plow into a crowd of protesters? Is that where we are on this? Am I reading that sentence wrong?


    Unfortunately in some circumstances the protesters will have made "fight" or "flight" into the same thing for the driver. The driver's only option will be, do you want to fight hand to hand, or with a 2000-lb weapon?

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    1,009

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Unfortunately in some circumstances the protesters will have made "fight" or "flight" into the same thing for the driver. The driver's only option will be, do you want to fight hand to hand, or with a 2000-lb weapon?
    Well said. Reginald Denny was driving a big rig, but chose to take his chances with rioters. He nearly paid with his life for the mistake.

  14. #44
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    51,140

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Thats fine. My comments about the speeding ticket apply here as well. If getting a citation makes you a criminal, then most of us are criminals.
    Speeding is merely a violation. Doesn't make you a criminal imo.

    Blocking a highway is very dangerous for many people. It should be considered a crime and dealt with accordingly.

  15. #45
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    127,646

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino Nova View Post
    I agree completely. I also believe that property owners who shoot looters while protecting their stores during riots or natural disasters should be immune from civil liability and criminal prosecution. IMO, a person's place of business is no different than a person's residence. An American citizen should have an absolute right to protect both from plunder and to protect those individuals living or working within their premises.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Speeding is merely a violation. Doesn't make you a criminal imo.

    Blocking a highway is very dangerous for many people. It should be considered a crime and dealt with accordingly.
    I agree, I think you could also charge the criminals on the road blocking your path with unlawful imprisonment.

Top