Doss at Corbin (2/10/18) - Controversy

  1. #1
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    14,768

    Doss at Corbin (2/10/18) - Controversy

    Okay, does anyone have any actual information on this game? Is this being played? If not, who cancelled It? Was there a reason given?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Okay, does anyone have any actual information on this game? Is this being played? If not, who cancelled It? Was there a reason given?
    There's alot of rumors as to why...but the game is off I'm pretty sure.

  3. #3
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    843

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    There's alot of rumors as to why...but the game is off I'm pretty sure.
    Rumors? Sounds intriguing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    I've been thinking about posting on this topic but didn't know whether to post it here or in the Controversial forum. From what I hear, Doss WILL NOT be coming to Corbin on Saturday. Everyone around the Corbin program has been pretty quiet on this. There was no mention on the radio about the game being canceled, just that North Laurel would be at Corbin on Friday and Corbin would go to Pulaski on Tuesday. It was as if the Saturday game never existed.

    What I want to see happen is this--- Corbin and Doss both advance to the State Tourney and win their way into the championship game. What happens then? Will Doss take a knee in protest before the game? Will they refuse to play the title game and forfeit the trophy to Corbin? Of course not. Saturday's game is one that could have and should have been played. A lot of hyperbole hit the airwaves all the way up to the Derby City and convinced some that playing this game could be dangerous and ignite racial tensions. I have no doubt that the game would have been fun, competitive, exciting, and conflict-free. Doss should have lived up to its contractual obligation. I have every reason to think those young Dragons would have been treated just as well as any other visiting school would be treated. Corbin knows how to dish out the hospitality!!! Come on down Dragons!!!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I've been thinking about posting on this topic but didn't know whether to post it here or in the Controversial forum. From what I hear, Doss WILL NOT be coming to Corbin on Saturday. Everyone around the Corbin program has been pretty quiet on this. There was no mention on the radio about the game being canceled, just that North Laurel would be at Corbin on Friday and Corbin would go to Pulaski on Tuesday. It was as if the Saturday game never existed.

    What I want to see happen is this--- Corbin and Doss both advance to the State Tourney and win their way into the championship game. What happens then? Will Doss take a knee in protest before the game? Will they refuse to play the title game and forfeit the trophy to Corbin? Of course not. Saturday's game is one that could have and should have been played. A lot of hyperbole hit the airwaves all the way up to the Derby City and convinced some that playing this game could be dangerous and ignite racial tensions. I have no doubt that the game would have been fun, competitive, exciting, and conflict-free. Doss should have lived up to its contractual obligation. I have every reason to think those young Dragons would have been treated just as well as any other visiting school would be treated. Corbin knows how to dish out the hospitality!!! Come on down Dragons!!!
    Well there you have it....that's the rumor that I was hearing

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,059

    It's a shame that as a society we have come to this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Again, NO reason not to play this game between two really good teams. Corbin has been host to the CFIT every December for the past thirty-plus years. Almost every year they invite teams from all over the Southeastern US, especially from North and South Carolina. Dorman(SC) was invited several years. They even won the tourney one year. These teams are almost 100% African-American. From what I observed, Corbin loved having them at their tourney and the kids loved being there. Doss would have been treated very well and the fans would have loved having them there playing(and losing to) the home team.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    It's a shame that as a society we have come to this.
    Agreed

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Does anyone think Doss is right in taking a figurative knee in protest and packing up their balls to Collins instead of Corbin?

  10. #10
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    843

    So we know for fact that the game is off?

    If so, do we know it was Doss that backed out of playing?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    489

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    It's a shame that as a society we have come to this.
    Shame on whom? We can speculate all we want, but to assign blame on which ever team you want to heap it out upon seems judgemental to me. I might be missing your point and if I am, sorry to question your point.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    If Doss cancelled because of Taylor's comments and his buddy's posting of the racist video then I applaud them. It's 2018. If I'm Doss I send out a press release stating that the game was cancelled due to the statements and actions of not only those two players but also the non-apology apology plus the comments online from Corbin folks trying to dismiss this as no big deal , just gamesmanship, all teams trash talk, etc. I'd use Corbin to make a statement about what should be accepted and what shouldn't be accepted. Yes, other teams have racist kids and fans. Heck, we're seeing it in Cincinnati this week. Corbin has a reputation and these two kids only reinforced it.

    Doss owes nothing to Corbin. Congrats on making a statement, Doss. Stand up against 1950s behavior and attitudes.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Doss would have been treated very well
    Like Knox Central?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Posts
    740

    Corbin should send a thank you note. This one wouldn’t be close.

  15. #15
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Does anyone think Doss is right in taking a figurative knee in protest and packing up their balls to Collins instead of Corbin?
    I do. No point risking it for a regular season game.

Top