Doss at Corbin (2/10/18) - Controversy

Page 3 of Okay, does anyone have any actual information on this game? Is this being played? If not, who cancelled It? Was there a reason given?... 64 comments | 5263 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    TylerDurden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Location
    537 Paper Street
    Posts
    843

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    So we know for fact that the game is off?

    If so, do we know it was Doss that backed out of playing?
    I don't want to sound dumb, but the KHSAA is still showing that the game is on. Again, do we know for fact that the game is off? Do we know Doss backed out of it? Who made that call?
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Quote Originally Posted by HoopJunkie View Post
    Corbin should send a thank you note. This one wouldn’t be close.
    Wrong. It is not likely that Doss would have left Corbin with a in. They probably knew that.

  3. #33
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I think an opportunity was missed here. Picture this. Doss comes to Corbin. Pre-game press conference with both coaches together.The host school's coach says how pleased he is to have such a quality school, outstanding team, and quality bunch of kids come down to play in the Petrey Classic. On behalf of the host school, the Corbin coach presents the Doss coach with a $1,000 check to be donated to a charity benefiting inner-city kids in Louisville. Prior to the beginning of the game, the two teams meet at center court in one of those prayer circle thingys, a Corbin player, Doss player, Corbin player, Doss player, each white hand clasping a black hand. Twitter, Facebook, post it all over social media... viral videos of the racial harmony kind . It could be a pretty powerful message to all involved. Again, I think both schools missed an opportunity.
    The burden isn’t on Doss to erase Corbin’s stigma of racism.

  4. #34
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Wrong. It is not likely that Doss would have left Corbin with a in. They probably knew that.
    Well the odds are stacked against them once they enter the gym.......

  5. #35
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,664

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Well the odds are stacked against them once they enter the gym.......
    That could be said for any team that plays a game east of I-75...regardless of who they are or where they are from. Lots of home cooking over there.

  6. #36
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,376

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I think an opportunity was missed here. Picture this. Doss comes to Corbin. Pre-game press conference with both coaches together.The host school's coach says how pleased he is to have such a quality school, outstanding team, and quality bunch of kids come down to play in the Petrey Classic. On behalf of the host school, the Corbin coach presents the Doss coach with a $1,000 check to be donated to a charity benefiting inner-city kids in Louisville. Prior to the beginning of the game, the two teams meet at center court in one of those prayer circle thingys, a Corbin player, Doss player, Corbin player, Doss player, each white hand clasping a black hand. Twitter, Facebook, post it all over social media... viral videos of the racial harmony kind . It could be a pretty powerful message to all involved. Again, I think both schools missed an opportunity.
    Doss has no responsibility to repair Corbin's image. Corbin could have already started making amends well before this game.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,032

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    Wrong. It is not likely that Doss would have left Corbin with a in. They probably knew that.
    IMO Doss is a much better basketball team than Corbin, have seen both play more than once this season.

  8. #38
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    That could be said for any team that plays a game east of I-75...regardless of who they are or where they are from. Lots of home cooking over there.
    Especially the athletic teams.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 05
    Posts
    1,781

    Doss and Central have both played in Corbin’s football bowl game to my knowledge with no incident.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    376

    So can somebody please link this video?

    Was it a Corbin player who posted it?

    Assuming it was a Corbin player, those saying "there have never been incidences before" are missing the concept that there had probably never been a video like this posted before a game. It seems there is a disconnect between those who don't think anything would have happened and how a video could have put the situation on edge.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    376

    And never-mind. I just read what the kid said. Yeah, I'd say it would have been a tough situation unless Corbin agreed in advance to suspend the two players for the game.

  12. #42
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    43,102

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckywildcat#1 View Post
    And never-mind. I just read what the kid said. Yeah, I'd say it would have been a tough situation unless Corbin agreed in advance to suspend the two players for the game.
    Yep. We're doing fine in this thread without having a link posted to the video.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckywildcat#1 View Post
    So can somebody please link this video?

    Was it a Corbin player who posted it?

    Assuming it was a Corbin player, those saying "there have never been incidences before" are missing the concept that there had probably never been a video like this posted before a game. It seems there is a disconnect between those who don't think anything would have happened and how a video could have put the situation on edge.
    You nailed it

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    376

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Yep. We're doing fine in this thread without having a link posted to the video.
    Yeah. Those not recognizing how this was/is a big deal are definitely tone deaf. You can't say something like that. Ever. Heck, that would have been risque in 1950. Much less - 2018. Kudos to the coach for suspending those kids. Are they back? how many games were they suspended for?

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Well the odds are stacked against them once they enter the gym.......
    Are you saying referees are biased(prejudiced) in favor of certain schools over others? That calls into question the integrity of KHSAA referees. From what I've seen most refs try to do a good and fair calling of games, regardless of he site of the game.

Top