Do you have any big plans for 420 Day?

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    149,357

    Do you have any big plans for 420 Day?

    I figure it never hurts to ask.

    And while I was reading up I came across this Time article tracing the probable origin of the term 420 as code for marijuana:

    The most credible story traces 4/20 to Marin County, Calif. In 1971, five students at San Rafael High School would meet at 4:20 p.m. by the campus’ statue of chemist Louis Pasteur to partake. They chose that specific time because extracurricular activities had usually ended by then. This group — Steve Capper, Dave Reddix, Jeffrey Noel, Larry Schwartz, and Mark Gravich — became known as the “Waldos” because they met at a wall. They would say “420” to each other as code for marijuana.

    As Reddix told TIME in 2017, “We got tired of the Friday-night football scene with all of the jocks. We were the guys sitting under the stands smoking a doobie, wondering what we were doing there.”

    42 History: How April 2 Became Known as '''Weed Day''' | Time

    To answer my own question, no, I am wide open this Saturday because Big Daddy is out of town, Big Greg is a wuss, The Roofie is busy making money, I haven't heard from the Wolfe Man yet, Tiny is racing (and no Tiny ain't Tiny), and the Easter Bunny made all the race cars go away this weekend.

    So much time on my hands Saturday and nothing to do...
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    60,932

    Back in the day...

    ...but now - entertaining those pictured on my avatar.

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,535

    Scheduling drug tests for 4/22.

  4. #4
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,661

    I don't personally, but I have a couple of hipster neighbors who I assume will be treating 4/20 just like any other day....and by that I mean, yes. Big weed plans.

  5. #5
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,571

    Nope, but Boone County has their prom on 4/20. And to boot, it is Easter weekend with Sonrise services the next day. It makes no sense why they schedule prom on Easter weekend.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,766

    I did have plans but I can't remember what they were.

  7. #7
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,982

    I was gonna go to church, but then I got high....
    I was gonna hunt some Easter eggs, but then I got high...
    Woke up and it's Derby Day, and I know why...
    Because I got high, because I got high, because I got hiiiiiiigh.

    ... yeah no plans. Heading home to Louisville for the weekend. My sister is coming in from Kansas City with her family. That's it.

  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    149,357

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    Nope, but Boone County has their prom on 4/20. And to boot, it is Easter weekend with Sonrise services the next day. It makes no sense why they schedule prom on Easter weekend.
    The Government isn't required to "check with" any religious populations before scheduling an event so it makes perfect sense to me.

  9. #9
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    149,357

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    I don't personally, but I have a couple of hipster neighbors who I assume will be treating 4/20 just like any other day....and by that I mean, yes. Big weed plans.
    Do you think your neighbors were hipsters first or do you think the devil's lettuce made them hipsters?

  10. #10
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    149,357

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    I did have plans but I can't remember what they were.
    Sounds like you are in the weeds.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,766

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Sounds like you are in the weeds.
    Like a lost ball in high weeds.

  12. #12
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,571

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    The Government isn't required to "check with" any religious populations before scheduling an event so it makes perfect sense to me.
    You won't get an argument from me about whether the government is required to do so. Of course, there is no law against taking your community's culture into account when planning events. Failing to give these kinds of things any consideration is, well, inconsiderate, like offering a free lunch buffet as a morale booster to employees of a public school in Detroit during the month of Ramadan. There certainly isn't any law against it but I would question the prudence of doing so. Scheduling prom on Easter weekend is one of these things where it is lawful but a little inconsiderate on the part of the school administration. I also think having the Homecoming Dance on a Friday night, after the football game is inconsiderate to the athletes, band, and cheerleaders. They get to the dance late, and in the case of the players, are a little too tired to really partake of the festivities. Saturday night would be a fine night for a Homecoming Dance.

    There may be reasons of which I am unaware that prom was scheduled on 4/20, like availability of the venue, but to not take cultural issues into account when planning events is shortsighted.

  13. #13
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,122

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    You won't get an argument from me about whether the government is required to do so. Of course, there is no law against taking your community's culture into account when planning events. Failing to give these kinds of things any consideration is, well, inconsiderate, like offering a free lunch buffet as a morale booster to employees of a public school in Detroit during the month of Ramadan. There certainly isn't any law against it but I would question the prudence of doing so. Scheduling prom on Easter weekend is one of these things where it is lawful but a little inconsiderate on the part of the school administration. I also think having the Homecoming Dance on a Friday night, after the football game is inconsiderate to the athletes, band, and cheerleaders. They get to the dance late, and in the case of the players, are a little too tired to really partake of the festivities. Saturday night would be a fine night for a Homecoming Dance.

    There may be reasons of which I am unaware that prom was scheduled on 4/20, like availability of the venue, but to not take cultural issues into account when planning events is shortsighted.
    You assume that they didn’t take things into consideration. Our junior prom is tomorrow night and I can tell you why it was scheduled as such. Venue. You don’t want prom in March. No way we could have it Derby weekend, not because Derby is sacred, but because we wouldn’t have a venue or rentals. I’ve been the prom coordinator before. There is soooo much to consider in every decision. What is happening on Sunday is just one of those things.

  14. #14
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,167

    I have seen enough in this thread to say I am staying home tomorrow and off the roads.

  15. #15
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,460

    Probably have some beers but that's because it's a day that ends in Y, not because of 4/20.

Top