Do We(Our Society)Focus Too Much on Our Differences , Not Enough on Our Similarities?

Page 2 of This is a question I have been thinking a lot about lately and I would like to receive your input. It's seems to me that we give too much of our attent... 26 comments | 826 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    56,295

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Great topic. Here's where I have landed after much thought.

    I think we assume the similarities are the "good" things that connect us. And I disagree with that premise. I think the "good" things are the differences that we each bring to the table. Those differences, our discussions of them, our learning from one another...those things are what make the world better. Those are what lead us to mutual respect. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their thoughts and feelings. I also don't have to agree with someone to understand why they feel the way they do.

    I think there is danger in looking only for the similarities. I feel that leads to only surface discussion and no real attempt to resolve differences, or at least understanding the differences and finding a way to move forward despite them.
    I disagree.















    ​JUST KIDDING!!
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    52,803

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Great topic. Here's where I have landed after much thought.

    I think we assume the similarities are the "good" things that connect us. And I disagree with that premise. I think the "good" things are the differences that we each bring to the table. Those differences, our discussions of them, our learning from one another...those things are what make the world better. Those are what lead us to mutual respect. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their thoughts and feelings. I also don't have to agree with someone to understand why they feel the way they do.

    I think there is danger in looking only for the similarities. I feel that leads to only surface discussion and no real attempt to resolve differences, or at least understanding the differences and finding a way to move forward despite them.
    You're looking at it the wrong way. Use the commonalities to explore the differences.

  3. #18
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    7,004

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Great topic. Here's where I have landed after much thought.

    I think we assume the similarities are the "good" things that connect us. And I disagree with that premise. I think the "good" things are the differences that we each bring to the table. Those differences, our discussions of them, our learning from one another...those things are what make the world better. Those are what lead us to mutual respect. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their thoughts and feelings. I also don't have to agree with someone to understand why they feel the way they do.

    I think there is danger in looking only for the similarities. I feel that leads to only surface discussion and no real attempt to resolve differences, or at least understanding the differences and finding a way to move forward despite them.
    Interesting angle.

  4. #19
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    45,082

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Well we all grew up and now look what we have.
    Adults that still don't know how to act?

  5. #20
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,097

    A lot of the problem is political parties have turned each other against one another as has the media and so has colleges and the professors.

    People can't leave well enough alone and people think they have to have the last word.

    It's best to never talk politics with someone.

  6. #21
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    16,344

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Adults that still don't know how to act?
    In part yes, adults that cant stand for someone to be/view things differently than them because they were taught there way was always correct.

  7. #22
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    16,344

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    If our educational system is social media, I would agree that its to blame. And, unfortunately, social media has become too many people's main source of "education."
    This isnt an over night thing. This started well before the social media crazy.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 07
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    725

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    This isnt an over night thing. This started well before the social media crazy.
    I agree. We have watched our congress go from statesmanship to verbal abuse of each other. Our language is so coarse a sailor would blush. People are rude, irresponsible and would rather take a picture than call 911. We need some kindness and manners.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 07
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    725

    @Science Friction I have noticed a change in your discourse. You seem more tolerant of others. Good for you.

  10. #25
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    7,004

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysie View Post
    @Science Friction I have noticed a change in your discourse. You seem more tolerant of others. Good for you.
    I really appreciate that observation. Means a lot. It was a very intentional effort and much, much truer to my nature. Sometimes we get caught up in playing a heel role. I believe it is better to give off a positive energy. Goodness knows, the world needs it.

  11. #26
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    17,201

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I really appreciate that observation. Means a lot. It was a very intentional effort and much, much truer to my nature. Sometimes we get caught up in playing a heel role. I believe it is better to give off a positive energy. Goodness knows, the world needs it.
    I like it!

  12. #27
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    7,004

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    I like it!
    Thank you so much. Again, very much appreciated.

Top