Do we ask too much of Teachers?

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,559

    Do we ask too much of Teachers?

    We ask a lot of teachers and I couldn't imagine the constant pressure many of them are under.

    On one hand I think we ask too much of them but on the other hand that is the nature of the public service beast.

    What do you think, do we ask too much of Teachers?

    Name:  Teachers.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  328.9 KB
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    If the question is about arming teachers, yes. That is a ridiculous idea, IMO.

    They are also in a group of professions that are grossly underpaid, along with LEO, First Responders, Fire, etc...

  3. #3
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    16,431

    It is the nature of the profession. It’s a lot, but if you are in it for the sole purpose of student learning and helping kids find success while they are in your classroom, that encompasses the whole child, including their safety.

  4. #4
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,650

    This is a lot of the problem...parent's want to hold teacher's responsible for everything while not taking any responsibility for their butt hole kids themselves.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,561

    We ask too much, blame too much, pay too little and support too little. Thank God there are still people willing to put themselves out there under those circumstances. I hope for the sake of my grandkids that continues to be the case. I fear we're reaching a tipping point. How many on here would encourage their children to go into teaching?

  6. #6
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,767

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    We ask too much, blame too much, pay too little and support too little. Thank God there are still people willing to put themselves out there under those circumstances. I hope for the sake of my grandkids that continues to be the case. I fear we're reaching a tipping point. How many on here would encourage their children to go into teaching?
    After the last 2 weeks no way. I actually sat mine down and did the opposite this week.

  7. #7
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,000

    This was posted on social media. I thought it was pretty good.

    Dear Teachers, – Vanessa Nichols

  8. #8
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,907

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    This is a lot of the problem...parent's want to hold teacher's responsible for everything while not taking any responsibility for their butt hole kids themselves.

    This!!!

  9. #9
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,000

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post

    It is even worse for discipline than it is for grades. A lot of parents will take their kid’s story when in the past parents usually would take the word of the teachers or administration.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,056

    Yes, we ask too much.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    422

    People may not agree with me. With that being said, With all the training in firearms, shoot, don't shoot situations, active shooter situations, drills,etc; there are still police officers out there that should not carry weapons. I have worked as a police officer and a deputy bailiff. I am by no means an expert but I have some knowledge of the subject. There is no way that a teacher will get the amount of training needed to not just carry, but also use a weapon (along with all the other teacher related things they need to have in order to teach). Leave the gun wielding to the professionals. There are trained LEO's that freeze in gun situations (for example, the school resource officer; trained professional. He did not engage, did not go in the building.). What would you expect from a part-time slightly trained person who was all ready over worked, underpaid, and over stressed? Make it easier for teachers to do THEIR jobs. Leave the guns to the pros.

    There are teachers in this group. You tell me, with everything you need to do in order to teach, coach and do the other related things you need to do, when would you have time to put in the work you'd need to put in to become proficient with firearms? And once you learn, this is a skill that you must be diligent about maintaining. It is a perishable skill that (as I said) you must work to maintain. When would you find the time?

  12. #12
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    61,368

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    We ask too much, blame too much, pay too little and support too little. Thank God there are still people willing to put themselves out there under those circumstances. I hope for the sake of my grandkids that continues to be the case. I fear we're reaching a tipping point. How many on here would encourage their children to go into teaching?
    Not any more.

  13. #13
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,650

    I think what most are missing in the arming teachers' discussion is...this isn't about forcing teachers to carry guns, it's about allowing those that are willing to and want to to do so.

    I can't see my daughter-in-law (3rd-grade teacher) ever carrying a gun to school, but I know several teachers that would like the opportunity.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Louisville,KY----From NKY
    Posts
    6,468

    I’d fall into the category of being comfortable staying armed, but I wouldn’t want my co-workers to be. Just my actual feelings.

  15. #15
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by 74devil View Post
    People may not agree with me. With that being said, With all the training in firearms, shoot, don't shoot situations, active shooter situations, drills,etc; there are still police officers out there that should not carry weapons. I have worked as a police officer and a deputy bailiff. I am by no means an expert but I have some knowledge of the subject. There is no way that a teacher will get the amount of training needed to not just carry, but also use a weapon (along with all the other teacher related things they need to have in order to teach). Leave the gun wielding to the professionals. There are trained LEO's that freeze in gun situations (for example, the school resource officer; trained professional. He did not engage, did not go in the building.). What would you expect from a part-time slightly trained person who was all ready over worked, underpaid, and over stressed? Make it easier for teachers to do THEIR jobs. Leave the guns to the pros.

    There are teachers in this group. You tell me, with everything you need to do in order to teach, coach and do the other related things you need to do, when would you have time to put in the work you'd need to put in to become proficient with firearms? And once you learn, this is a skill that you must be diligent about maintaining. It is a perishable skill that (as I said) you must work to maintain. When would you find the time?
    I assume you are for banning ccdw for everyone?

Top