Dick's Sporting Goods to Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Page 4 of "One of the nation... 366 comments | 9293 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,049

    For the ones that are against firearm sales being 21, what are your views on alcohol consumption at 21?
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    For the ones that are against firearm sales being 21, what are your views on alcohol consumption at 21?
    Legal

  3. #48
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    For the ones that are against firearm sales being 21, what are your views on alcohol consumption at 21?
    Or voting at 18?

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    For the ones that are against firearm sales being 21, what are your views on alcohol consumption at 21?
    Should be 18.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,915

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Marketing ploy, nothing more. They are only doing it in Dicks stores, still plan to sell them in Field and stream stores, so what really are they accomplishing other than reaping the headlines.

    Also, most that I know, we're not buying their firearms from Dicks anyways so, I doubt it has a significant financial impact. I mean after all they are no longer selling the guns, but the shelves will be full of the ammo.
    They actually stopped selling AR's in the Dick's stores in 2012 after Sandy Hook. They've only been selling AR's in the Field and Stream stores since then. This move only affects those 35 stores. So yes, the real impact is not really all that big of a deal, and there is likely a pretty large marketing aspect to it. And I can understand....who wants to be the store that sold one of these weapons to a mass shooter?

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    If Dick’s chooses to not sell a product, more power to them. It’s not illegal for a company to choose which products they will or won’t sell. They are able to set policy related to their business as well. I’m sure Dick’s may lose some customers. But it appears they are willing to do so. We don’t want legislation to affect our rights. It appears it is preferred that we figure this out as citizens. I just see this as a company choosing to do what they feel they can to work toward a solution.

  7. #52
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    For the ones that are against firearm sales being 21, what are your views on alcohol consumption at 21?
    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Or voting at 18?
    I think we have to decide as a country what a legal adult is. Is it 18,21, or 25? Why do some laws require 18 (voting, tried as an adult, rifles, military), others 21 (alcohol, rifle sales) and 25 (staying on parents insurance, etc)? I think it either needs to be 18,21 or 25 across the board.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    They actually stopped selling AR's in the Dick's stores in 2012 after Sandy Hook. They've only been selling AR's in the Field and Stream stores since then. This move only affects those 35 stores. So yes, the real impact is not really all that big of a deal, and there is likely a pretty large marketing aspect to it. And I can understand....who wants to be the store that sold one of these weapons to a mass shooter?
    Interesting, so what they are doing is getting some Media time, while really doing nothing.

  9. #54
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    If Dick’s chooses to not sell a product, more power to them. It’s not illegal for a company to choose which products they will or won’t sell. They are able to set policy related to their business as well. I’m sure Dick’s may lose some customers. But it appears they are willing to do so. We don’t want legislation to affect our rights. It appears it is preferred that we figure this out as citizens. I just see this as a company choosing to do what they feel they can to work toward a solution.
    No issue with it. Let the market decide. Same with baking cakes, etc. if you don’t want to sell to a customer, you shouldn’t have to. Let the market decide.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    If Dick’s chooses to not sell a product, more power to them. It’s not illegal for a company to choose which products they will or won’t sell. They are able to set policy related to their business as well. I’m sure Dick’s may lose some customers. But it appears they are willing to do so. We don’t want legislation to affect our rights. It appears it is preferred that we figure this out as citizens. I just see this as a company choosing to do what they feel they can to work toward a solution.
    You are right on the product side, but limiting gun sales to those 21 and older, when legally you only have to be 18 and older is an issue.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,915

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Interesting, so what they are doing is getting some Media time, while really doing nothing.
    Again, in a sense, yes. This was partially brought about because they discovered they had sold the Florida shooter a gun (although it wasn't the AR he used in the shooting). The CEO basically said they don't want to be part of any of these stories going forward. I get it. And while they will probably reap some positive publicity from this move, I can wholly understand the want to avoid being tied to any future shootings that involve AR's. Why let a small part of your business have a negative impact on your brand? I worked in this industry for nearly a decade after graduating from college. My company made a decision to stop selling the realistic CO2 BB guns that looked like real handguns after they had been used in a string of Robberies across the New York City area. It was a simple fix to keep their name out of negative headlines and came with some positive publicity. It's really a no brainer for a company like Dick's to make this decision.

  12. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    You are right on the product side, but limiting gun sales to those 21 and older, when legally you only have to be 18 and older is an issue.
    Why? It is up to the retailer to decide who the do or do not sell to. It may be legal to purchase a gun at 18. It doesn’t mean someone has to sell it to you when you are 18.

  13. #58

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Why? It is up to the retailer to decide who the do or do not sell to. It may be legal to purchase a gun at 18. It doesn’t mean someone has to sell it to you when you are 18.
    Constitutionally I think it does.

  14. #59
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,444

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Assault rifles, properly classified, are automatic weapons. AR-15 and the likes are not automatic weapons, they really are no different than a modern handgun (just in rifle form).
    They are very different than a modern handgun. The velocity of the bullet coming out of an AR-15 is much greater. Emergency room doctors will tell you that high velocity weapons, such as an AR-15 totally destroy organs. Normally, the bullet from a handgun makes a linear path that can easily be seen in the diagnostics process. This makes locating the bullet and repairing the organ possible. With the high velocity weapons, there is so much force that it causes a wave effect upon entering the body and just decimates an organ and even some surrounding organs. As such, there is no repair.

  15. #60

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Constitutionally I think it does.
    No. The Constitution does not say if a gun is for sale it must be able to be sold to an 18 year old. It does say that if we decide an 18 year old can buy a gun, he/she may do so. But nothing says Dicks cannot decide the age they require their customers to be In order to buy a gun

Top