Dick's Sporting Goods to Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Page 23 of "One of the nation... 366 comments | 9152 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #331
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Rather than attack my character, why don't you point out where I'm wrong? It would make the thread a lot better. Tell me how not selling an AR at Dicks will prevent another shooter. Do you think they will throw up their hands and give up the idea, or do you think maybe they'll just get it at say.....Cabelas. You are aware you can buy an AR online, right? Are you also aware the next shooter is out there and already has his gun?
    Do I know, for a fact, that Dick's not selling those guns will prevent another shooting from happening? No I do not. Never suggested as much. Do I know that Dick's not selling those guns has the POTENTIAL to stop someone from doing it again? Yes, I do. Again, potential. Chance. That means something to some people.

    Do you know for a fact that Dick's not selling those guns WON'T prevent a potential shooter from committing the crime? No, you do not.
    Advertisement

  2. #332
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I've seen people suggest banning rifles and handguns completely.
    Shocker.

  3. #333

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Dicks is over priced anyways.
    Maybe some are.

  4. #334

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Rather than attack my character, why don't you point out where I'm wrong? It would make the thread a lot better. Tell me how not selling an AR at Dicks will prevent another shooter. Do you think they will throw up their hands and give up the idea, or do you think maybe they'll just get it at say.....Cabelas. You are aware you can buy an AR online, right? Are you also aware the next shooter is out there and already has his gun?
    Dicks flat out said they want to minimize the potential that their brand becomes a part of the narrative in a school shooting. They haven’t lied, not hidden their intentions. They aren’t sneaky about it, nor hiding it. They aren’t casting any aspersions as to the intentions of another retailer who does things differently. They feel this is in the best interest of their brand. Really, that’s all they are doing...protecting their brand.

  5. #335
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    For everyone saying this move does nothing, please provide some examples of what Dick's, or any other company, could do to make a difference in this issue. I look forward to hearing actual alternatives.

  6. #336

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    del

  7. #337

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    A lot
    I figured so.

  8. #338
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    For everyone saying this move does nothing, please provide some examples of what Dick's, or any other company, could do to make a difference in this issue. I look forward to hearing actual alternatives.
    How about this...instead of not selling them how about Dick's/Wal-Mart/Kroger donate some amount of money for schools to buy metal detectors. Also why not continue selling these guns and pledge all proceeds from the sales to help schools hire armed guards. Don't you think that would have considerably more of an effect on change?

  9. #339
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    How about this...instead of not selling them how about Dick's/Wal-Mart/Kroger donate some amount of money for schools to buy metal detectors. Also why not continue selling these guns and pledge all proceeds from the sales to help schools hire armed guards. Don't you think that would have considerably more of an effect on change?
    Both great ideas, thank you.

    I can't say which would have a bigger effect, although I definitely think your suggestions would make great strides in the right direction.

  10. #340
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,772

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Dick's not selling guns doesn't infringe on your rights.
    @TheDeuce It amazes me that they keep making your job so easy by placing the ball on the "T" for you so that you can just concentrate on swinging your club shot after shot. You're doing a fantastic job of explaining that which puzzles the heck out of me as to why you would even have to in the first place, yet they just keep coming at you with the easy pitches served to you right on a plate.

    I'm just impressed by your stamina to endure for such a long time when it doesn't feel much different than a game of "Why?" with a pre-schooler that I don't think that I'd have the patience for for very long.

  11. #341

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    For everyone saying this move does nothing, please provide some examples of what Dick's, or any other company, could do to make a difference in this issue. I look forward to hearing actual alternatives.
    I did you ignored it.

  12. #342
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,650

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    If Dick's had any balls, they would stop all gun and ammo sales period. That way, not one more shooter could buy their weapon of destruction (or ammo) from them. That would be doing something. That would be removing yourself from the equation.
    Agreed

  13. #343
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,650

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Dick's not selling guns doesn't infringe on your rights.
    That was in response to Plant saying "stop gun sales altogether" (he didn't specify Dick's) so that was thinking that he meant all guns sales not just at one store..

  14. #344
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    的've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,510

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Do I know, for a fact, that Dick's not selling those guns will prevent another shooting from happening? No I do not. Never suggested as much. Do I know that Dick's not selling those guns has the POTENTIAL to stop someone from doing it again? Yes, I do. Again, potential. Chance. That means something to some people.

    Do you know for a fact that Dick's not selling those guns WON'T prevent a potential shooter from committing the crime? No, you do not.
    Yes, I know for a fact that Dicks not selling ARs at their 35 stores won't have the potential to stop a shooter from committing the crime. How? The same way that these feel good measures have had no impact yet. Someone hellbent on murder doesn't give a darn if they can't get the weapon they want at Dicks or F&S. They'll go elsewhere. I mean, come on, it would be naive to think otherwise. I would have to drink a lot of unicorn tears to believe that.

  15. #345
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,772

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    That was in response to Plant saying "stop gun sales altogether" (he didn't specify Dick's) so that was thinking that he meant all guns sales not just at one store..
    I just inserted my praise here to TheDeuce for the couple hundred other previous troubling posts that he so articulately gave plain-as-the-nose-on-your-face answers to. Might've been overkill if I had singularly applauded him for each and everyone, so I just had to pick one and go with it....it just happened to be that one.

Top