Dick's Sporting Goods to Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

Page 20 of "One of the nation... 366 comments | 9152 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #286

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,163

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    It didn't answer my question. How will it stop the next one? Answer: It won't.

    We will never know any gun control effort it will stop on an individual basis. That question is misleading. What makes sense, the less guns in the wrong hands the less likely the next one happens.

    Right now and probably in the far out future that probably needs to be the goal. Little doubt that they are too accessible to too many.
    Advertisement

  2. #287
    True blue (and gold)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Location
    “The world’s problems begin with the belief that some human lives are more important than others.”
    Posts
    29,370

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    I would disagree with your statement. The military wants to injure the solder so it takes 3 out of combat. I’d take my chances on getting hit with a .223 round from an AR versus a hollow point .44 mag pistol that mushrooms upon impact.
    It's not my statement. It's that of medical doctors who have to try to save people that have been shot by various guns.

  3. #288

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Another thing that needs to be done is that everyone that gets denied, should be charged with a Federal Crime. Before a dealer calls the background service they verify the purchaser has answered all questions correctly, which means the purchaser has claimed to have nothing that would prohibit them from purchasing a firearm. If they then fail tha background check then it means that must have lied on the form which in and of itself is a Federal Crime. ATF has prosecuted a handful of these cases over the years...it would be a much bigger deterrent to people lying and trying to buy a firearm if they were prosecuted for lying on the form as they should be.
    In theory that's a good idea, however with Identity theft at an all time high, not sure you can do that.

  4. #289
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,650

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    In theory that's a good idea, however with Identity theft at an all time high, not sure you can do that.
    They also have to have a state issued drivers license or Conceal Carry Permit with a photo to make a purchase, that helps reduce the Idenity Theft issues quite a bit.

  5. #290
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,521

    A guy I work with has a son that works at the local Dicks. He said they had 6 people quit this morning over this.

  6. #291
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    It didn't answer my question. How will it stop the next one? Answer: It won't.
    So because we can't stop all of them, do nothing? That's what you're implying?

  7. #292
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,827

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Fyi, your sex example differs in every state, but in Kentucky 16 years old is old enough to consent.
    Thanks for the clarification. That further makes my point. Age 15 in Kentucky. Age 16 in another state. Age is different for many areas of the law.

  8. #293
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    If there isn't enough to arrest someone, why should it go on a background check? What good will it do?
    If you pull me over, you don't care if the cops are called to my house weekly for domestic violence?

  9. #294
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,251

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    If you pull me over, you don't care if the cops are called to my house weekly for domestic violence?
    What good can it do?

    Are you going to fail a background for it? If not, there's no reason to put it there imo.

  10. #295

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    They also have to have a state issued drivers license or Conceal Carry Permit with a photo to make a purchase, that helps reduce the Idenity Theft issues quite a bit.
    Not really, the ID theft can happen after those are issued.

  11. #296
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    What good can it do?

    Are you going to fail a background for it? If not, there's no reason to put it there imo.
    In your opinion, yes or no, is there any benefit at all to knowing I've been reported for domestic violence numerous times?

  12. #297
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    30,510

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    So because we can't stop all of them, do nothing? That's what you're implying?
    Not at all. Just not a fan of feel good measures that will not get us anywhere. We have people that think these things are happening because of a particular rifle. That's total nonsense. If you take that rifle out of the equation, what do you think will happen? These events stop or the killer moves on to the next weapon? I guarantee you it will be the later. Something isn't wrong with the rifle, something is wrong with people. There's little respect for human life anymore. I'd prefer to find an answer that would help. We aren't there, or even close.

  13. #298
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,251

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    In your opinion, yes or no, is there any benefit at all to knowing I've been reported for domestic violence numerous times?
    Its not a yes or no type of question.

    It depends on a lot of things.

    As far as background checks go, unless you plan on failing people for accusations or reports that are unfounded or otherwise not charged or convicted... it's not information they need to know.

  14. #299
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The realest people don’t have a lot of friends.
    Posts
    23,622

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    In your opinion, yes or no, is there any benefit at all to knowing I've been reported for domestic violence numerous times?
    Guess I won’t joke with you anymore.

  15. #300
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,640

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Its not a yes or no type of question.

    It depends on a lot of things.

    As far as background checks go, unless you plan on failing people for accusations or reports that are unfounded or otherwise not charged or convicted... it's not information they need to know.
    Ok.

Top