Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

Page 8 of CINCINNATI ... 357 comments | 36365 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,378

    Quote Originally Posted by Mack The Knife View Post
    Getting caught with a fake ID or sneaking a drive in Dad’s car and getting in a fender bender is doing something stupid. That’s about being a kid.
    This incident is about a human being.
    Exactly.
    Advertisement

  2. #107
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,111

    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    Man you can’t say anything on here without people jumping on you. Yes racism is wrong, just saying I bet a few of you out there did some dumb things when cameras were not rolling. It’s a different world. Jeeez
    You're 100% right.

  3. #108
    barrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Posts
    1,621

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Off topic, but community service would only be an option if a crime was committed.
    Can the school not tell their students they must complete tasks that many would consider community service to stay enrolled in their private school? A public school more than likely cannot but I would think a private school could.

  4. #109
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,111

    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Can the school not tell their students they must complete tasks that many would consider community service to stay enrolled in their private school? A public school more than likely cannot but I would think a private school could.
    I think something like this has to happen here.

  5. #110

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    66

    The video and story were just on the NBC Nightly news. This entire situation saddens me. I’m sad that young men feel empowered in groups to be disrespectful. I’m embarrassed for my city. I’m embarrassed for my faith. Like it or not, these young represent me.

    I’m most sad that the people with the power to teach our youth, are instead choosing to defend or explain this bad behavior.

    I’ve viewed multiple videos. In any situation on HOW this started, the behavior is unacceptable. When I first saw the video, I knew I would hear someone say “he’s just standing there. He’s not doing anything.” And, while that may be true, we all know that the young man was empowered by the group. That is mob mentality. He was standing there firm, daring anything to happen because that would empower the white privledge and give a reason to take action.

    I know many wonderful families that send their sons to this school. However, I am in agreement that the culture at that school must change. Someone earlier posted that the crazies will push the limit in their chants to ALMOST cross the line. No one stops them. Why? In my own youth, I went to Holmes. I’m a grown woman but vividly remember the racist chants from when I was a cheerleader and cheered in that gym. The culture still exists. It does. It saddens me because I know many good families with kids there today. Those people are now saying the news is slanted. Please..... just agree that these young men need to learn. Learn that the real world is not the white, upper middle class population at the school. Learn that there is a giant world out there and you are one small piece is that world. Use your privilege for good. Use your privilege to educate. Use your privilege for kindness. Be Christlike.

    Long post. Sorry. I am saddened by the behavior of these young men and more so by the people defending the behavior.

  6. #111

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    699

    What about this headline...

    "Grown Man Walks Up To High School Student and Beats Drum In His Face"

  7. #112

    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    66

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Windage View Post
    What about this headline...

    "Grown Man Walks Up To High School Student and Beats Drum In His Face"
    Like I said, I’m most saddened that adults are missing an opportunity to educate our young men.

  8. #113

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,275

    Quote Originally Posted by Justamom2 View Post
    The video and story were just on the NBC Nightly news. This entire situation saddens me. I’m sad that young men feel empowered in groups to be disrespectful. I’m embarrassed for my city. I’m embarrassed for my faith. Like it or not, these young represent me.

    I’m most sad that the people with the power to teach our youth, are instead choosing to defend or explain this bad behavior.

    I’ve viewed multiple videos. In any situation on HOW this started, the behavior is unacceptable. When I first saw the video, I knew I would hear someone say “he’s just standing there. He’s not doing anything.” And, while that may be true, we all know that the young man was empowered by the group. That is mob mentality. He was standing there firm, daring anything to happen because that would empower the white privledge and give a reason to take action.

    I know many wonderful families that send their sons to this school. However, I am in agreement that the culture at that school must change. Someone earlier posted that the crazies will push the limit in their chants to ALMOST cross the line. No one stops them. Why? In my own youth, I went to Holmes. I’m a grown woman but vividly remember the racist chants from when I was a cheerleader and cheered in that gym. The culture still exists. It does. It saddens me because I know many good families with kids there today. Those people are now saying the news is slanted. Please..... just agree that these young men need to learn. Learn that the real world is not the white, upper middle class population at the school. Learn that there is a giant world out there and you are one small piece is that world. Use your privilege for good. Use your privilege to educate. Use your privilege for kindness. Be Christlike.

    Long post. Sorry. I am saddened by the behavior of these young men and more so by the people defending the behavior.
    Very well stated. Glad to see there is someone on here that gets it.

  9. #114

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,711

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Windage View Post
    What about this headline...

    "Grown Man Walks Up To High School Student and Beats Drum In His Face"
    If you look at the video link TheDeuce posted, you can see the kid in the gray jacket walked up into the man’s face. Your headline is just a false narrative that just tries to bury the real issue.

  10. #115
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,378

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Windage View Post
    What about this headline...

    "Grown Man Walks Up To High School Student and Beats Drum In His Face"
    What about it? You mean other than it’s just a blatant lie?

  11. #116

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Louisville,KY----From NKY
    Posts
    6,414

    To those who think expulsion should be off the table...

    CovCath’s sister school has expelled high schoolers for getting pregnant(which I have opinions about)...it’s 100% because of the optics. They want to hold students to a standard that doesn’t “embarrass” the school.

    If CovCath doesn’t expel these kids they’re being as soft as sin.

  12. #117
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,502

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillVille Cardinal51 View Post
    To those who think expulsion should be off the table...

    CovCath’s sister school has expelled high schoolers for getting pregnant(which I have opinions about)...it’s 100% because of the optics. They want to hold students to a standard that doesn’t “embarrass” the school.

    If CovCath doesn’t expel these kids they’re being as soft as sin.
    I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. If the school really wants to do it's job in teaching, you can't do that if they're not allowed in the building. I keep them in, and make their lives a living hell. This moment would haunt them til they graduate.

    To me, expulsion is the easy way out. Now, you don't have to deal with the issue, because the kids are no longer in the school.

  13. #118

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    699

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    If you look at the video link TheDeuce posted, you can see the kid in the gray jacket walked up into the man’s face. Your headline is just a false narrative that just tries to bury the real issue.
    Could you PM me that video? Cause all the videos I've watched, the child mentioned was approached by the grown man.

  14. #119
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,378

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Windage View Post
    Could you PM me that video? Cause all the videos I've watched, the child mentioned was approached by the grown man.
    Post #102

  15. #120
    Tigerpride94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    4,321

    I’m sure there are many great kids at this school. Hate they are going to get raked over the coals for actions of a few. I remember last spring break when Ft Walton Sheriff tweeted out top schools they they arrested or cited, and St.X was like #3 beating out some SEC colleges. Those 8 or 9 kids put a black eye on school.

    They will have to weather the storm and most people have short memory, so year or two from now this will not be on most peoples radar. Ballard had the watermelon incident last year, and it has blown over in a few months.

    I’m sure the school and Archdiocese will use this as teachable moment, and will discipline the kids involved. Wouldn’t surprise me if one or more kids get expelled.

Top