Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

Page 23 of CINCINNATI ... 357 comments | 34861 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #331
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,803

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Again, they didn't feel brave enough to respond like that to the African American group did they? The Native American wasn't with them was he? And in this era of social media there is no way that those students did not know that the tomahawk chop and chants were racially offensive.
    Disagree, I bet 70-80% of the average Joes donít even realize that the Tomahawk chop has never been linked to any NA groups.

    Millions of Braves, Seminole and Chiefs fans do it, without even really knowing what it is.
    Advertisement

  2. #332
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    How do you know they are 16 have you seen their birth certificate? They could be 17 and know better.

    Pretty sure any teenager with any sense in the world today would know thatís offensive and considering their intend Iím pretty sure they did know.
    You seem angry.

    You don't know their intent, as much as you might think you do.

    These kids see the chop at sporting events around the world all year...but you know that they are informed enough to know it is offensive to some people?

  3. #333
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,695

    Everybody sees different things when they see the videos. This is what I see.



    Name:  D83CCBA9-3530-43B3-9E2C-E0969E3CC1F5.jpeg
Views: 814
Size:  273.0 KB

  4. #334
    Jesse James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    10,228

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    That group certainly wasnít innocent either. But again, regardless of how and why, the kids still chose to react to the situation by mocking and making fun of someoneís culture.
    Its also very telling that group only targeted kids with those racist comments.

    Adults would have reacted differently I am sure.

  5. #335
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    In this link is an interview with Nathan Phillips, the Native American, who was face to face with the CCH student.

    Students seen mocking Native Americans could face expulsion - AOL News

    Listen to the entire interview and you will get good insight into what Mr. Phillips was trying to do. Basically, he says there was an escalating back and forth between the CCH students and the Black Israelites group. Mr. Phillips says the chanting and banging his drum was the Native Americans' way to ask God to look at them and praying for everyone there. He wanted to de-escalate the situation between what he saw as two groups headed to an even worse confrontation. He did not want the Native American march to end that way.
    Why did his group shout "we won" and start celebrating when the kids left?

    Why did he say they were chanting "build the wall"? I haven't heard that once in any video.

    Why didn't he go face to face with the African American group? Why did he approach a group of kids with people in his group saying things like, "white people go back to Europe"?

  6. #336
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    ďIt's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,205

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    In this link is an interview with Nathan Phillips, the Native American, who was face to face with the CCH student.

    Students seen mocking Native Americans could face expulsion - AOL News

    Listen to the entire interview and you will get good insight into what Mr. Phillips was trying to do. Basically, he says there was an escalating back and forth between the CCH students and the Black Israelites group. Mr. Phillips says the chanting and banging his drum was the Native Americans' way to ask God to look at them and praying for everyone there. He wanted to de-escalate the situation between what he saw as two groups headed to an even worse confrontation. He did not want the Native American march to end that way.
    This can’t possibly be true. He was there to pick on those poor kids.

  7. #337
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Iím not, but your arguments are weak and you argue over semantics to point that itís irrelevant which is why no one likes to discuss anything with you.
    I've had discussions with several different people throughout this thread and you are the only one continually whining about not wanting to talk to me. Stop responding if you don't like talking to me. It's very simple. In fact, before this I'm not sure the last time I had a conversation on here with you.

    I disagree with your statement about my arguments being irrelevant or about semantics. It is absolutely relevant that you don't know their intent or what they know. You pretend you know, and attack me for pointing out that you don't really know.

  8. #338
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    So according to some the NA group/man walks up to the kids and engages them(fact, video shows that). Kids feel threatened/annoyed in some way and a few are doing a Seminole chant and tomahawk chop. But they didnít know that was offensive? They thought they were participating with the NA group in unison? Thatís quite a spin zone.

  9. #339
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,237

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    Its also very telling that group only targeted kids with those racist comments.

    Adults would have reacted differently I am sure.
    The African American group actually targeted another African American man first and called him an Uncle Tom just before they started hurling racist remarks at the students.

  10. #340
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    I've had discussions with several different people throughout this thread and you are the only one continually whining about not wanting to talk to me. Stop responding if you don't like talking to me. It's very simple. In fact, before this I'm not sure the last time I had a conversation on here with you.

    I disagree with your statement about my arguments being irrelevant or about semantics. It is absolutely relevant that you don't know their intent or what they know. You pretend you know, and attack me for pointing out that you don't really know.
    You responded to my post that had nothing to do with you. I would have never engaged with you which is why we don’t have conversations. So move along.

  11. #341
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,226

    Smiling is now racist. Wow.

  12. #342
    Jesse James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    10,228

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    The African American group actually targeted another African American man first and called him an Uncle Tom just before they started hurling racist remarks at the students.
    You are right about that. I do think that the people over the students needed to be watching much closer and at the first sign of problems got them out of that area. Young teenage boys with plenty of testosterone pumping and a group like this dont mix well. It would not have mattered who it was, whether they were Black, White, Indian, Asian etc. This was a no win situation for all. Just walk away or get them away.

    I would guess a group of African American kids would have walked away if the positions were reversed and been well behaved if I am to believe some of you posters on here. We( All Americans, Black, White etc) are screwed.

  13. #343
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,781

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Why did his group shout "we won" and start celebrating when the kids left?

    Maybe because there was no violent confrontation that he was afraid was about to happen?

    Why did he say they were chanting "build the wall"? I haven't heard that once in any video.

    I don't think there is anyway any of us can say no CCH said "build the wall". I would be surprised if it wasn't said by someone considering the gear many of the CCH students were decked out in.

    Why didn't he go face to face with the African American group? Why did he approach a group of kids with people in his group saying things like, "white people go back to Europe"?

    Perhaps because there were 75+ CCH students and he was trying to distract them from the much smaller Black Israelites group? As to the "white people" comments, bad things were said by people in all the groups involved.
    Comments above. Here is the thing. We can all come up with supposes and should haves and why thats to try to build some theory to our liking. I am doing my best to stick to facts that I have seen and heard, and not speculating on something I did not see or hear.

  14. #344
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,803

    If the kid who Mr. Phillips approached doesn’t stand there and smirk, or if he walks away, how much steam does this story maintain?

  15. #345
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,237

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    You responded to my post that had nothing to do with you. I would have never engaged with you which is why we donít have conversations. So move along.
    I was directly involved in a conversation with the person you quoted, which is why I responded.

    I can't even remember the last time I have said anything to you before this thread.

    Feel free to stop responding.

Top