Corey Booker Wants to Make Marijuana Legal on a Federal Level

Page 3 of My man! http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3374898 TRENTON, N.J. ... 103 comments | 2350 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    1,715

    Mr. Booker will make a run for the Whitehouse and is buying votes with marijuana along the way. He just isn't personally distributing it.
    Never used it, never will and I'm dead set against legalizing it. If you're going to make it legal, add in heroin, cocaine, ecstasy and whatever else people use. Because marijuana IS a gateway drug. You can rationalize recreational use all you want, unless it is medically necessary forget it. Might as well make them all legal and bank the tax dollars. I knew this would become a problem with users when we threatened to stop it at the border and a lot of crops in the states are destroyed.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    1,715

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I don't know that all schools do, but many do.
    Every state should be testing their athletes.

  3. #33
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,263

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    Mr. Booker will make a run for the Whitehouse and is buying votes with marijuana along the way. He just isn't personally distributing it.
    Never used it, never will and I'm dead set against legalizing it. If you're going to make it legal, add in heroin, cocaine, ecstasy and whatever else people use. Because marijuana IS a gateway drug. You can rationalize recreational use all you want, unless it is medically necessary forget it. Might as well make them all legal and bank the tax dollars. I knew this would become a problem with users when we threatened to stop it at the border and a lot of crops in the states are destroyed.
    Couldn't disagree more.

    I smoked a tractor trailer load back in the day. Haven't touched it in 35 years and never graduated to anything stronger.

    I submit it is much less dangerous than alcohol. As far as medicinal use, it is a fact that in the states that have medicinal use of marijuana the prescribing of opiates, opioids and benzos are significantly reduced.

    To put marijuana in the same class as heroin, LSD, etc. is ludicrous. Highlights the ignorance of our government on the subject.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    1,715

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

    I smoked a tractor trailer load back in the day. Haven't touched it in 35 years and never graduated to anything stronger.

    I submit it is much less dangerous than alcohol. As far as medicinal use, it is a fact that in the states that have medicinal use of marijuana the prescribing of opiates, opioids and benzos are significantly reduced.

    To put marijuana in the same class as heroin, LSD, etc. is ludicrous. Highlights the ignorance of our government on the subject.
    Rationalize all you want , legalizing it will not be a good outcome for this country. I knew I'd be hammered on this one but you might as well legalize them all because as the using population ages, the then adults will gradually take away all the illegalities.
    Government isn't ignorant and neither am I, I've seen this play out in addictive personalities. You say my stance is ludicrous to legalize all. I used the example to show how ludicrous legalizing marijuana is to me.

  5. #35
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,263

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    Rationalize all you want , legalizing it will not be a good outcome for this country. I knew I'd be hammered on this one but you might as well legalize them all because as the using population ages, the then adults will gradually take away all the illegalities.
    Government isn't ignorant and neither am I, I've seen this play out in addictive personalities. You say my stance is ludicrous to legalize all. I used the example to show how ludicrous legalizing marijuana is to me.
    I didn't rationalize anything. I stated facts.

    Putting marijuana in the same class as heroin, which the Federal government did, is ludicrous.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    1,715

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    I didn't rationalize anything. I stated facts.

    Putting marijuana in the same class as heroin, which the Federal government did, is ludicrous.
    I do not want to argue with you so here are some facts. In Washington state, the first 6 months after marijuana was legalized, 745 drivers pulled over on suspicion of DUI tested positive for THC, compared to 1,000 for the entire previous year. The number of drivers involved in fatal auto crashes who tested positive for THC rose by 48% in the year following legalization. Hospitalizations for overdoses were also up, many not realizing the danger of ingesting it in a food product. Washington state serves as an eye opening case study concerning road safety after legalizing the drug stated by AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 10 million more people are using the drug than 12 years ago. Of that number, the number of people using daily has doubled to 8.4 million. One scientific study connected adolescent marijuana use to a significant loss of I.Q. points and increased psychotic illness. If legal, LEOs must expend extra effort to keep the drug out of adolescent hands. These are numbers from Washington State, the year following legalization of the drug. Not my numbers or my opinion.

  7. #37
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    33,811

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    I do not want to argue with you so here are some facts. In Washington state, the first 6 months after marijuana was legalized, 745 drivers pulled over on suspicion of DUI tested positive for THC, compared to 1,000 for the entire previous year. The number of drivers involved in fatal auto crashes who tested positive for THC rose by 48% in the year following legalization. Hospitalizations for overdoses were also up, many not realizing the danger of ingesting it in a food product. Washington state serves as an eye opening case study concerning road safety after legalizing the drug stated by AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 10 million more people are using the drug than 12 years ago. Of that number, the number of people using daily has doubled to 8.4 million. One scientific study connected adolescent marijuana use to a significant loss of I.Q. points and increased psychotic illness. If legal, LEOs must expend extra effort to keep the drug out of adolescent hands. These are numbers from Washington State, the year following legalization of the drug. Not my numbers or my opinion.
    Do you have a link? I'd love to read the actual study and statistics.

  8. #38
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    52,901

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCrazy View Post
    Do you have a link? I'd love to read the actual study and statistics.
    Me too. I'm incredibly skeptical about this suggestion of weed overdoses. The only thing that happens when one overdoses on weed is they fall asleep, and not permanently.

  9. #39
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,263

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    I do not want to argue with you so here are some facts. In Washington state, the first 6 months after marijuana was legalized, 745 drivers pulled over on suspicion of DUI tested positive for THC, compared to 1,000 for the entire previous year. The number of drivers involved in fatal auto crashes who tested positive for THC rose by 48% in the year following legalization. Hospitalizations for overdoses were also up, many not realizing the danger of ingesting it in a food product. Washington state serves as an eye opening case study concerning road safety after legalizing the drug stated by AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 10 million more people are using the drug than 12 years ago. Of that number, the number of people using daily has doubled to 8.4 million. One scientific study connected adolescent marijuana use to a significant loss of I.Q. points and increased psychotic illness. If legal, LEOs must expend extra effort to keep the drug out of adolescent hands. These are numbers from Washington State, the year following legalization of the drug. Not my numbers or my opinion.
    Do you have the numbers for alcohol related incidents in the same time period?

    Also, your post addresses nothing about marijuana being placed in the same category as heroin by the Feds.

  10. #40
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    33,811

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Me too. I'm incredibly skeptical about this suggestion of weed overdoses. The only thing that happens when one overdoses on weed is they fall asleep, and not permanently.
    I've read one study that did conclude that the number of drivers testing positive for marijuana had increased over the last couple years.

    Of course, you can smoke marijuana on June 1st, get in a wreck on June 10th and still test positive for it because it stays in your system for roughly 30 days even though it did not contribute to the accident or impair the driver.

    Also, the study noted that marijuana was not regularly tested until recently so there was not much of a baseline to compare to.

  11. #41
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    52,901

    There may be an interesting thread to be made out of this question:

    "If your or someone else close to you's life depended upon you getting from point A to point B in a car as quickly and safely as possible (equal weight on quick and safe here) and you could not do the driving, who would you rather be piloting the car?"

    A) Someone who's been at the bar for 3hrs and is 8 beers and 2 fireball shots in

    B) Someone who just smoked a fat joint of that Colorado stuff 5 minutes ago

    C) Someone who has been popping painkillers or antipsychotics all night

    D) Someone who just racked 4 lines of coke

    E) Someone who just shot up with smack

    (For the sake if this argument, let's presume it's a 15-20 minute car trip)

  12. #42
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    41,269

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    There may be an interesting thread to be made out of this question:

    "If your or someone else close to you's life depended upon you getting from point A to point B in a car as quickly and safely as possible (equal weight on quick and safe here) and you could not do the driving, who would you rather be piloting the car?"

    A) Someone who's been at the bar for 3hrs and is 8 beers and 2 fireball shots in

    B) Someone who just smoked a fat joint of that Colorado stuff 5 minutes ago

    C) Someone who has been popping painkillers or antipsychotics all night

    D) Someone who just racked 4 lines of coke

    E) Someone who just shot up with smack

    (For the sake if this argument, let's presume it's a 15-20 minute car trip)
    None are a satisfactory choice, so I'm thankful that I'm 99.999999999999% sure I'll never be faced with this ridiculous scenario.

  13. #43
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    56,607

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

    I smoked a tractor trailer load back in the day. Haven't touched it in 35 years and never graduated to anything stronger.

    I submit it is much less dangerous than alcohol. As far as medicinal use, it is a fact that in the states that have medicinal use of marijuana the prescribing of opiates, opioids and benzos are significantly reduced.

    To put marijuana in the same class as heroin, LSD, etc. is ludicrous. Highlights the ignorance of our government on the subject.
    Same here. When the guys on my freshman dorm floor found out that I could write, I bartered papers and reports for cannabis. Never was tempted to try anything else.

    We agree on virtually everything vis-a-vis the devil's weed.

  14. #44
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    41,269

    Some of you are talking about what you smoked "Back in the day." Today's weed by most accounts has much more THC as what would have been bouncing around back in your college days. An Article on WebMD states that "The amount of THC in marijuana has gone up in recent years. Most leaves used to contain between 1% and 4% THC. Now most have closer to 7%."

  15. #45
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    52,901

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    None are a satisfactory choice, so I'm thankful that I'm 99.999999999999% sure I'll never be faced with this ridiculous scenario.
    You must choose, grasshopper. There is no other option. (Channeling David Carradine here)

Top