Columbus Mom suing JUUL

Page 2 of A Columbus mother is suing Juul, makers of E-cigarettes for her twin daughters getting addicted. I am sorry, but after 50 years of warnings about the d... 21 comments | 2343 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,650

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    Here's the thing.

    Doesn't every company that advertises anything do the exact same thing.

    All the beer and alcohol commercials are all about having fun and being cool. Make up and clothing commercials are all about being beautiful and sexy. Don't hear a whole lot of people jumping up and down over that one.

    To me the one that everyone should have issue with is pharmaceuticals. They are turning our country into pill popping idiots for everything. Not happy...take a pill. Skin itches...take a pill. My big toe hurts...take a pill.
    You’re still thinking about traditional advertising methods though. This is far from traditional.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,261

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    You’re still thinking about traditional advertising methods though. This is far from traditional.
    I don't Facebook or Twitter.

    Is it individuals doing this or is it the company?

    If it's individuals, then to me it's not advertising. Its peer pressure.

    They live their lives all over the internet, and they want to be cool, because somebody decided it was cool.

  3. #18
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,261

    Maybe the parents should be more involved in their kids lives as their parents and not their friends.

    I blame my generation for that. So many of them spent to much time enabling their kids bad habits, instead of raising them to be adults.

  4. #19
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,650

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    I don't Facebook or Twitter.

    Is it individuals doing this or is it the company?

    If it's individuals, then to me it's not advertising. Its peer pressure.

    They live their lives all over the internet, and they want to be cool, because somebody decided it was cool.
    Instagram and Snapchat were the two biggest arenas where JUULs popularity really took off. All kinds of videos of people using JUULs. The issue is there are a thousand different vape or e cig companies, but JUUL was the one that gained popularity amongst teens and young adults. JUUL wasn’t putting out the videos but they weren’t exactly doing anything to counteract underage use of their products. In fact they basically supported it by releasing new flavors that appeal to a younger audience instead of tobacco, mint, and menthol flavors that would be found in traditional cigarettes. The reason you see all the JUUL commercials now talking about it being for adults only is because they initially didn’t. People have already filed and won lawsuits against JUUL which is why the commercials have disclaimers now but they didn’t always, they have also stopped making those flavors targeted at kids. So JUUL may not necessarily be responsible for the initial hype, but they still bear quite a bit of responsibility for the high usage rates amongst young people.

  5. #20
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,261

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Instagram and Snapchat were the two biggest arenas where JUULs popularity really took off. All kinds of videos of people using JUULs. The issue is there are a thousand different vape or e cig companies, but JUUL was the one that gained popularity amongst teens and young adults. JUUL wasn’t putting out the videos but they weren’t exactly doing anything to counteract underage use of their products. In fact they basically supported it by releasing new flavors that appeal to a younger audience instead of tobacco, mint, and menthol flavors that would be found in traditional cigarettes. The reason you see all the JUUL commercials now talking about it being for adults only is because they initially didn’t. People have already filed and won lawsuits against JUUL which is why the commercials have disclaimers now but they didn’t always, they have also stopped making those flavors targeted at kids. So JUUL may not necessarily be responsible for the initial hype, but they still bear quite a bit of responsibility for the high usage rates amongst young people.
    I come back to my initial point.

    Doesn't every company do everything they can to promote their product? Kids are buying alcohol and cigarettes all the time.

    Why is Juul so wrong and the others are fine?

  6. #21
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,650

    Quote Originally Posted by coldweatherfan View Post
    I come back to my initial point.

    Doesn't every company do everything they can to promote their product? Kids are buying alcohol and cigarettes all the time.

    Why is Juul so wrong and the others are fine?
    Again JUUL was doing things directly to make their products appealing to kids. You don’t see Bud Light or Marlboro marketing products at teens despite the fact that they are still consuming them. JUUL was. That’s the difference. Also I’m not sure if you realize how big of an epidemic JUUL is in high schools and college campuses. Obviously, for college kids it’s legal but the usage rates are still alarming.

  7. #22
    coldweatherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Somewhere between the mist and the moonlight
    Posts
    10,261

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Again JUUL was doing things directly to make their products appealing to kids. You don’t see Bud Light or Marlboro marketing products at teens despite the fact that they are still consuming them. JUUL was. That’s the difference. Also I’m not sure if you realize how big of an epidemic JUUL is in high schools and college campuses. Obviously, for college kids it’s legal but the usage rates are still alarming.
    I agree I don't realize how big it is.

    I disagree about cigarette and alcohol companies not targeting youth.

Top