Catholic powers willing to accept territory limits

  1. #1
    buckman41ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Highland Hts Ky
    Posts
    6,441

    Catholic powers willing to accept territory limits

    In an effort to head off separate state championships for public and private schools, the five largest Catholic high schools in Kentucky are willing to place some restrictions on athletes coming from outside their immediate areas.

    A proposal presented yesterday by the Kentucky Non-Public Schools Commission would affect St. Xavier, Trinity, Assumption and Sacred Heart in Louisville, plus Lexington Catholic.

    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...66/1002/SPORTS
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    It is fine for our brothers and sisters in Louisville and Lexington to "negotiate" a peace. However, for their own sake and the sake of the rest of us, don't be fools. Don't automatically think you must operate from a position of weakness. If you do, you have only started the snowball down the hill and when the avalanche hits it will be devastating. For credibility of accomplishment, particularly in football, the publics need the privates. Otherwise those trophies will not represent true state champions and any knowledgeable individual will know it.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    It is fine for our brothers and sisters in Louisville and Lexington to "negotiate" a peace. However, for their own sake and the sake of the rest of us, don't be fools. Don't automatically think you must operate from a position of weakness. If you do, you have only started the snowball down the hill and when the avalanche hits it will be devastating. For credibility of accomplishment, particularly in football, the publics need the privates. Otherwise those trophies will not represent true state champions and any knowledgeable individual will know it.
    Not meaning to attack you but am truly wondering. How does a Christian statement of humility and the role of private schools being a part of the Church play into this. If Christian churches sue to stop it, how does that fit with a Christian mindset of what the purpose of the school is supposed to be? I started a thread in P & R a few weeks back that asked if private schools are in God's plan for the Church. We had a wonderful debate and came to the conclusion, they are. But is it part of God's plan for the Church to get involved in a lawsuit over athletics?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    Indeed, ladiesbballcoach, you raise some good questions. Some posters seem to suggest that, merely because a school is a private school associated with the Catholic Church or some other church, it should not exert its constitutional rights. That, I believe, is incorrect. If the privates should not seek justice, then, all of those good, godly people in the public schools should also refrain from such practices.
    When one associates with private education, he or she does not forfeit the rights which he or she had prior to this association. In regard to constitutional matters, churches, representatives of churches, foundations supporting issues related to the rights of religion and churches (ex: Focus on the Family, Heritage Foundation, Jay Sekulow's organization, etc.) and others continually file lawsuits in order to protect religious freedom and, for example, the rights of the unborn. Where would we be if Christians were merely passive?
    My advice would be to work to avoid alitigation. However, don't forfeit your position by running from litigation.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by StThomasMore
    Indeed, ladiesbballcoach, you raise some good questions. Some posters seem to suggest that, merely because a school is a private school associated with the Catholic Church or some other church, it should not exert its constitutional rights. That, I believe, is incorrect. If the privates should not seek justice, then, all of those good, godly people in the public schools should also refrain from such practices.
    When one associates with private education, he or she does not forfeit the rights which he or she had prior to this association. In regard to constitutional matters, churches, representatives of churches, foundations supporting issues related to the rights of religion and churches (ex: Focus on the Family, Heritage Foundation, Jay Sekulow's organization, etc.) and others continually file lawsuits in order to protect religious freedom and, for example, the rights of the unborn. Where would we be if Christians were merely passive? My advice would be to work to avoid alitigation. However, don't forfeit your position by running from litigation.
    My only recollection of Jesus being aggressive is in the temple when he turned over the money changers tables. On his last days, he would have been described as passive. Especially considering he could have stop it at any time.

    I agree with what you are saying, I just know I struggle between that fine line of what is my constitutional right, legal right but what the Bible tells me to do. I remember the Scripture "everything is permissible but not all is beneficial."

    I struggle with it looking at people in poverty. I want to say get off your keyster and get a job. I know that is not the Christian stance I should take.

    The one difference is between private/public, publics are very strongly pointed out every single moment, are not representatives of Jesus Christ and His Father.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    I wish I felt better about this alternate proposal. I don't like it for two reasons. First, I don't think it will change things much on the field. It just puts us back in the same place in a couple of years. Second, it allows private school kids to be treated differently from public school kids. That is a notion that should be stopped at every turn.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Not for nothing, but this "compromise" is weak, it says that they lose one year of VARSITY eligibility. How would that help, if they didn't play as frosh? It would make no difference with T/X.....

    I like the start, but I wouldn't be willing to compromise at all, one because Sexton is behind it, and two, becuase boundries hamper free will to where one wants to send their child.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    Not for nothing, but this "compromise" is weak, it says that they lose one year of VARSITY eligibility. How would that help, if they didn't play as frosh? It would make no difference with T/X.....

    I like the start, but I wouldn't be willing to compromise at all, one because Sexton is behind it, and two, becuase boundries hamper free will to where one wants to send their child.
    So all public schools should be forced to open their boundaries and take all kids who want to attend any public school they wish?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    160

    Unfortunately, ladiesbballcoach, you struggle with many of the same questions that should bother any thinking person. Sadly, there are no answers and, because there appear to be no answers, educated individuals will always struggle.
    In the meantime, the privates, I believe, must do the best they can to protect their "way of life" in this world and in athletics.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    So all public schools should be forced to open their boundaries and take all kids who want to attend any public school they wish?
    yes.......

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    yes.......
    Could not disagree more vehemently. Not the purpose of school in one community to educate the youth of another community. At least, the way school systems are designed and funded presently. Local school boards would need to be retooled, funding through property taxes totally scrapped, and I am sure many other issues would have to be addressed.

    Private schools have rightfully and justifiably set themselves up to serve multiple communities. Public schools are designed to serve a specific community. Both are good, both are needed.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Private schools have rightfully and justifiably set themselves up to serve multiple communities. Public schools are designed to serve a specific community. Both are good, both are needed.
    But even though we are "good and needed", we just shouldn't be allowed to play ball?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    But even though we are "good and needed", we just shouldn't be allowed to play ball?
    My opinion is that it is not equal. I absolutely agree that privates should be allowed to pull from multiple communities. That is their nature and their mission. Publics should not draw from multiple communities. Their mission is to serve a community. As a result, the situation is not equal. How to solve it, I don't really know. 2 years ago, the publics tried to address the situation and the privates played it off. Something should have been in the works over the past 2 years to come up with a compromise. Privates did not monitor themselves, so some publics took a DRASTIC step. I think that step had to be taken to get the privates to realize that this is a serious issue and not to just disregard it.

    It will be interesting to see where it goes for now. I think some compromise of the props will be voted in and prop 20 defeated. IF it does not take care of itself and privates don't monitor themselves, then it will rear it's ugly head again, in 2-3 years.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    My opinion is that it is not equal. I absolutely agree that privates should be allowed to pull from multiple communities. That is their nature and their mission. Publics should not draw from multiple communities. Their mission is to serve a community. As a result, the situation is not equal. How to solve it, I don't really know. 2 years ago, the publics tried to address the situation and the privates played it off. Something should have been in the works over the past 2 years to come up with a compromise. Privates did not monitor themselves, so some publics took a DRASTIC step. I think that step had to be taken to get the privates to realize that this is a serious issue and not to just disregard it.

    It will be interesting to see where it goes for now. I think some compromise of the props will be voted in and prop 20 defeated. IF it does not take care of itself and privates don't monitor themselves, then it will rear it's ugly head again, in 2-3 years.
    What do you mean by monitor themselves? I truly do not believe that the schools are violating the rules in any way. Are there boosters/alumni that get literature in front of athletes or talk to athletes? Maybe, but from what I hear that problem is not restricted to private schools. I have proposed one form of self monitoring that I believe would help. I think coaches should be cut off from contact with all prospective students, not just athletes. It would help to remove any appearance of impropriety. By the way, as with all rules, this one should apply to both public and private schools.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    My opinion is that it is not equal. I absolutely agree that privates should be allowed to pull from multiple communities. That is their nature and their mission. Publics should not draw from multiple communities. Their mission is to serve a community. As a result, the situation is not equal. How to solve it, I don't really know. 2 years ago, the publics tried to address the situation and the privates played it off. Something should have been in the works over the past 2 years to come up with a compromise. Privates did not monitor themselves, so some publics took a DRASTIC step. I think that step had to be taken to get the privates to realize that this is a serious issue and not to just disregard it.

    It will be interesting to see where it goes for now. I think some compromise of the props will be voted in and prop 20 defeated. IF it does not take care of itself and privates don't monitor themselves, then it will rear it's ugly head again, in 2-3 years.
    How would private schools monitor themselves?

    They have to follow the same rules as every other school and I'm quite sure that one private school would certainly report another private school if there was a violation. Other than that what do you expect?

Top