Casinos, Gambling and Gaming in KY

  1. #1
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    Casinos, Gambling and Gaming in KY

    Figured this needed its own thread as to not take away from the teacher thread.

    Lots of discussion on that already over there (maybe a mod can move it over?), but why are you for or against it in our state?

    I am 100% in favor, simply for the fact that I think Kentuckians money should stay in Kentucky, and not be gifted to IN and OH because we can't pass a stupid law.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    138,974

    Great topic for discussion.

    In short, this is supposed to be a Free Country, of course we should have Casinos.

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    I can't think of even one reason they shouldn't have been legalized years ago.

  4. #4
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Agreed. It's a shame casinos and gaming haven't been universally legalized. Same goes for sports betting.

  5. #5
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    @Randy Parker, not to call you out, but I think you said you weren't the biggest proponent of casinos/gambling. I'd like to hear your perspective.

  6. #6
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,701

    In favor of casinos and gambling.

  7. #7
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,609

    The ponies have more power.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,056

    Right now, all I will say is this: Casinos in the southern half of Indiana fear Kentucky legalizing gaming MORE than expanded gaming in Indiana. They fear both, but because of the weirdness that is Indiana, people north of Indy don’t travel south at nearly the rate Kentuckians pour over the river to fill the coffers.

  9. #9
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    49,190

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Right now, all I will say is this: Casinos in the southern half of Indiana fear Kentucky legalizing gaming MORE than expanded gaming in Indiana. They fear both, but because of the weirdness that is Indiana, people north of Indy don’t travel south at nearly the rate Kentuckians pour over the river to fill the coffers.
    Coming from someone like you who obviously knows what she's talking about, this is all the reasoning anyone could need to make it happen in KY.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,002

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    The ponies have more power.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, the horse racing industry has been the biggest hurdle. Which is ironic, because in a few states, like Delaware and PA (states I've lived in), the addition of casino's with horse racing friendly stipulations, basically saved the industry. Higher purses, investments in breeding programs, etc, all from the casinos brought horse racing back from the edge. Now the horse racing industry in KY isn't in as much trouble as it was in those two states, but still the casinos and horse racing can absolutely co-exist.

  11. #11
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    65,185

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    @Randy Parker, not to call you out, but I think you said you weren't the biggest proponent of casinos/gambling. I'd like to hear your perspective.
    I believe that gambling in general makes poor people poorer.

    Before the spread of casino gambling, the IAV comments, the typical gambler was more affluent than average: it cost money to travel to Las Vegas. That's no longer true. Low-income workers and retirees provide the bulk of the customers for the modern casino industry. And because that industry becomes an important source of government revenue, the decision to allow casino gambling is a decision to shift the cost of government from the richer to the poorer, and, within the poor, to a subset of vulnerable people with addiction problems.

    That's from a 2013 opinion article from CNN that better communicates some of my concerns. I'm a little more open to the idea than I was, say, five years ago. But I have to be honest in saying that it's not something I'm eager for Kentucky to jump in.

    Here's the link to that article:

    Opinion: The harm that casinos do - CNN

  12. #12
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,609

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, the horse racing industry has been the biggest hurdle. Which is ironic, because in a few states, like Delaware and PA (states I've lived in), the addition of casino's with horse racing friendly stipulations, basically saved the industry. Higher purses, investments in breeding programs, etc, all from the casinos brought horse racing back from the edge. Now the horse racing industry in KY isn't in as much trouble as it was in those two states, but still the casinos and horse racing can absolutely co-exist.
    In short, there is a lot of legislative money that funnels through horse racing in Kentucky. Read that how you want.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,056

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Coming from someone like you who obviously knows what she's talking about, this is all the reasoning anyone could need to make it happen in KY.
    Thanks. I don’t think I have sat in one Exec meeting and NOT had the topic of Kentucky gaming come up. Additionally, we have a (for lack of a better term) lobbyist on our exec team who carries back and forth the info she learns at the statehouse. It’s not just the casinos as entities that worry. The IN State Legislature is worried as well. She is our parent company’s VP of Public Policy, but she serves our interests as well.

  14. #14
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    65,185

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    @Randy Parker, not to call you out, but I think you said you weren't the biggest proponent of casinos/gambling. I'd like to hear your perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    I believe that gambling in general makes poor people poorer.

    Before the spread of casino gambling, the IAV comments, the typical gambler was more affluent than average: it cost money to travel to Las Vegas. That's no longer true. Low-income workers and retirees provide the bulk of the customers for the modern casino industry. And because that industry becomes an important source of government revenue, the decision to allow casino gambling is a decision to shift the cost of government from the richer to the poorer, and, within the poor, to a subset of vulnerable people with addiction problems.

    That's from a 2013 opinion article from CNN that better communicates some of my concerns. I'm a little more open to the idea than I was, say, five years ago. But I have to be honest in saying that it's not something I'm eager for Kentucky to jump in.

    Here's the link to that article:

    Opinion: The harm that casinos do - CNN
    The reason I'm more open to it than I used to be is that I've come to believe that if you're low-income and blow your money on gambling, then oh well.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,056

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    The reason I'm more open to it than I used to be is that I've come to believe that if you're low-income and blow your money on gambling, then oh well.
    I believe the same. Those same low income people are already gambling in some way. They are a lot of the people traveling to other states. They’re all in on Tuesday poker night, and first in line for lottery tickets. Let’s keep that gaming revenue in OUR coffers!

Top