Another private school post season play vote?

Page 9 of Originally Posted by westsider To a certain extent, I would disagree with that. I think athletes want a chance to compete for a championship. My gues i... 410 comments | 15907 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperShamrocks
    DeSales and Holy Cross suffer for two reasons. One, they dont have the same sized alumni that T and X do...this does not mean that the alumni of these schools care less than T and X's do, its just a numbers thing. The second disadvantage is the same as T and X suffer...to attend these school, parents must pay a hefty tuition. I dont see any advantages here at all.
    Make sure we are on the same mindset here. I am not limiting my discussion to football but to what is best for athletes in all sports and looking at this as a total sports issue and not just football. Remember, I think it is just football, track and cross country that is separated out by size. Maybe swimming but I am not sure on that one.

    Where you don't see advantages you have stated them. T and X have huge alumni base. THat is just the way it is. And when DeSales and Holy Cross are trying to get the Jefferson County Catholic and Non-Catholic kid heading to a private school, that is what they will have to compete against. The reputation and the alumni engine behind T and X. That is just the way it is.

    SHould T and X be penalized for that? No. But also they should not insult anyone's intelligence by claiming they don't have an advantage. They worked hard to get that advantage.

    You know you all may be looking at this the wrong way. If you are kicked out, as RM has been saying that frees you up to openly recruit and compete for national titles.
    Advertisement

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    You people in Louisville and Lexington have to realize that the world does not revolve around you. My posts have alluded to rural counties several times. There is NO PUBLIC GOLF COURSES IN most rural counties in this state. So the option you mention in LOUISVILLE is not an option in RURAL COUNTIES.
    So because you are so concerned about fairness schools that are in counties with several public golf courses should not be allowed to compete for state championships becaue there are schools in counties with no public golf courses??

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    So because you are so concerned about fairness schools that are in counties with several public golf courses should not be allowed to compete for state championships becaue there are schools in counties with no public golf courses??
    As I said in either future or previous posts from the one you quoted, some schools have advantages and that is JUST THE WAY IT IS. And read my post right above yours.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Man you said what I said just with a lot less words. My wife always tells me I talk too much.

    I'm going to quote just this comment but this reply is addressed to your whole line of reasoning.

    Do you then advocate that because of perception rather then reality the kids whose parents choose for what ever reason to send them to private schools should be punished for that choice?

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    I'm going to quote just this comment but this reply is addressed to your whole line of reasoning.

    Do you then advocate that because of perception rather then reality the kids whose parents choose for what ever reason to send them to private schools should be punished for that choice?
    As I have said, schools have advantages that is just the way it is, but do not insult our intelligence by claiming they don't. 50 years ago, the argument was the mountain schools vs. Lexington/Louisville schools. Now it has morphed to private/public. Yes, without a doubt the private schools have advantages. Yes, without a doubt it is very difficult for a RURAL public school to compete on a year in and year out basis. THAT IS JUST THE WAY IT IS.

    If I decide to open a computer business and take on Microsoft. Do you think Bill Gates is going to have an advantage over me, no matter how hard I work, no matter how hard I try. Year in and year out, will I be able to compete against him. NOPE.

  6. #126
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    It is simply not that simple. It might be for the 4A public city schools but it is not that simple for the rural county schools.

    Good example is golf. $2500 to be a member of the country club in my county. Only 5 of my 14 golfers are members. Can't afford it. So they get to play 2 months out of the year. I feel safe in saying that Notre Dame, Bishop Brossart, Villa Madonna, Lex Catholic, etc. more than 40% of their golfers find themselves as members of a country club.

    I am NOT saying separate the two, but saying the situation is unequal and there is a distinct advantage. So when you say simply hire better coaches, you got to remember that rural, public school coaches have to do MORE and a BETTER job than the private school coaches, because the private school coaches are usually starting with better polished athletes. Unless you feel that a golfer can be just as good playing 2 months out of the year vs. a golfer than can play from April through October everyday of the week.
    Guess Highlands and Beechwood will be next since my guess is that most of their golfers families also belong to country clubs. And after you've eliminated that layer of competition, who will be next? What a nice slippery slope you have started down.

    And aren't there any public courses in your county? What do you want to do mandate the number of rounds that a golfer can play per year to make sure none of your opponents gets better than your player. Sorry but this is getting beyond silly.

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck
    Guess Highlands and Beechwood will be next since my guess is that most of their golfers families also belong to country clubs. And after you've eliminated that layer of competition, who will be next? What a nice slippery slope you have started down.

    And aren't there any public courses in your county? What do you want to do mandate the number of rounds that a golfer can play per year to make sure none of your opponents gets better than your player. Sorry but this is getting beyond silly.
    Did you even read the 3rd paragraph or just get so perturbed that you stopped at the first 2???????

    Remember I responded to the mindset that said public schools have a harder time competing because of the incompetence of coaches. While that may be true in some cases, there are other situations for RURAL counties that make it difficult to compete against public schools in large metro areas and private schools.

  8. #128
    BDFALCON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    858

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperShamrocks
    Bottom line. Get better coaches, teach better fundamentals, win more games. Do we remember a few short years ago, when Seneca dominated. What did they do? They fired a good coach who built them into a good program. What is Seneca doing these days? Nothing.
    You might want to retract your statement of Coach Oldham being fired. He left the program on his own terms. He actually informed the players in the locker room after they had been knocked out of the playoffs by Ballard that he was not coming back to coach the next year. Also, they still have a good head coach there now. Coach Dover was the offensive coordinator and was with Coach Oldham from day one while he was the head coach at Seneca.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    If Barnard attended Holy Name, I stand corrected. I was told he attended public school in Henderson.

    Regardless of where he went to middle school, it doesn't change the point of my post. And again, as I've made clear, I don't have an issue with Barnard attending Owensboro Catholic.

    Let's just end this and say you are right. Is that what you want to hear. The FACT of the matter is he did attend Holy Name Middle School (Private School). You say there is not an issue of Barnard going to Catholic, but you brought it up in the thread. Your people at Henderson County say Fidler is the better QB between the 2, but everytime we bring up Barnard you Henderson County people say he went to school in Henderson and we we have a bbbbbeeetttter QB. To me I don't know why you bring this subject up everytime if you all believe you have the better QB. Sounds to me Henderson County didn't need Barnard and everything is just like roses. So why do people in Henderson get so up tight when Barnard's name gets mentioned?

    As for your post I still don't understand what you are trying to say. I think you just want to be heard. I hear ya!

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    First, let's clear up some things.

    No one questioned the ability of public school coaches except the public schools that cited the fact that private schools can attract a certain type of coach and therefore things are not equal. (Basically stems back to the LexCath basketball opening if you ask me.)

    Of course, not every private school can attract/afford a superior coach (most can't I'd say) but the response from private schools and some public schools was that those complaining are free to pursue whomever they want.

    Does anyone believe for a moment that if Highlands of Beechwood were in need of a Head Coach that they would not pursue every and all candidates. Of course they would. Will they attract more candidates than if a public county had an opening? Certainly. Should they be penalized? Should a private school be penalized?

  11. #131

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,522

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    If I decide to open a computer business and take on Microsoft. Do you think Bill Gates is going to have an advantage over me, no matter how hard I work, no matter how hard I try. Year in and year out, will I be able to compete against him. NOPE.
    If Bill Gates decided to open a computer company and take on IBM, do you think IBM had an advantage over him? Was he able to compete against them? Something to think about.

    With that said, I do believe that the private schools have some very significant advantages. They have to because they also have a nearly $8,000 per year disadvantage. It only stands to reason that they must have some advantages that overcome the $8,000 disadvantage. I think that the thing that gets me upset about this conversation is that the advantages of the private schools are self generated. I have trouble when people say that the private schools have more resources, since we generate those resources ourselves, AFTER we have paid for the tuition. A school like Trinity is able to exist and be open to all economic classes only because there are many folks that have a very strong belief that what Trinity provides is worth preserving and continue to provide generous support long after they graduate. My sons have graduated, but now I need to make sure that Trinity is there for my grandsons. When someone says that the private schools have more resources, I wonder how they voted on the last school tax referendum? When was the last time they wrote out a check to their school's library? When was the last time they wrote out a check to their school's athletic program? When was the last time they worked or attended a fund raiser? I know that many will say that they do all of those things. Will you still be doing it long after your children have graduated? Will you sill be doing it when your high school years are only a distant memory? I received a copy of the Trinity Leader yesterday. As always, the list of donations from long ago graduates is amazing.

    For those that believe that the private schools are only for the rich, think about this. About forty percent of the Trinity students receive financial aid. On top of that, generous donations keep the tuition about $2,000 below the actual cost of the education.

    If you want more resources for your school, start a petition to raise school taxes. Start a campaign to create an endowment for your school system. Make the first check to the endowment yours.

    By the way, this post is not directed at LBBC. The response to the Bill Gates comment is the only part that was directed at LBBC.

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    You say there is not an issue of Barnard going to Catholic, but you brought it up in the thread.
    The difference is this: I'm not accusing Owensboro Catholic of doing anything untoward regarding Barnard. You're implying that someone in a position of authority at Fort Campbell is scheming to bring big-time football players to their school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    Your people at Henderson County say Fidler is the better QB between the 2, but everytime we bring up Barnard you Henderson County people say he went to school in Henderson and we we have a bbbbbeeetttter QB. To me I don't know why you bring this subject up everytime if you all believe you have the better QB. Sounds to me Henderson County didn't need Barnard and everything is just like roses. So why do people in Henderson get so up tight when Barnard's name gets mentioned?
    What does that have to do with anything? And besides, I'm not from Henderson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    As for your post I still don't understand what you are trying to say. I think you just want to be heard. I hear ya!
    My point is that you're making unfounded accusations about Fort Campbell's program. Being that you're a fan/supporter/whatever of a school that gets accused of all sorts of stuff, you should know better.

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by westsider
    The difference is this: I'm not accusing Owensboro Catholic of doing anything untoward regarding Barnard. You're implying that someone in a position of authority at Fort Campbell is scheming to bring big-time football players to their school.
    What does that have to do with anything? And besides, I'm not from Henderson.
    My point is that you're making unfounded accusations about Fort Campbell's program. Being that you're a fan/supporter/whatever of a school that gets accused of all sorts of stuff, you should know better.

    Why can't I say something. I am just saying we might want to watch for this.

    Funny how things get skewed. Read my first post on Ft.Campbell.

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    "Of course, your gripe is coming from a supporter of a school that made it to the state championship game on the back of a Division I recruit at quarterback from a neighboring county and had attended a public middle school in that county. And your state-power softball team apparently has had star players that live in another state."


    If it doesn't make any difference then why did you bring this up?

  15. #135
    THEGREENDANDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Full speed or nothing
    Posts
    1,738

    Quote Originally Posted by QB42
    I'm all for privates vs privates and publics vs publics as long as I don't have to pay taxes for the public school system. With all the catholic school families in KY, that would really hurt.
    My thoughts exactly!!!!!!

Top