Another private school post season play vote?

Page 27 of Originally Posted by westsider To a certain extent, I would disagree with that. I think athletes want a chance to compete for a championship. My gues i... 410 comments | 15907 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #391

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    The tone that the poor public schools would fail miserably if it wasn't for the great private schools, was the arrogance that I was alluding.
    Don't forget when you point your finger you got three pointing right back at you. The Catholic schools do not HATE the public schools. It is a matter of religion. That is a totally different discussion, back to athletics. If these public school administrators would listen to their kids I guarantee you they would say we want to play the private schools. Isn't it funny we adults ruin these kids lives. I think the kids ought to decide. They should descide based off facts and the future of the KHSAA not from emotion like we are doing. I know people on this post will say you and just you are doing it. I will take all blame for everyone's emotion because it is going to roll off my back and my feelings will not get hurt.
    Advertisement

  2. #392

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    Immediately they would, they would then recover, but everyone's taxes would increase substantially. Those of us invloved with private schools, and tuition for said schools, help those who do not participate in tuition programs, a TON..
    IF we are to take your post to the position you make, then what you are suggesting is if the entire student populations of say, Trinity, St. X, etc. were to transfer to public schools, these schools would fail - and I am taking you to mean - they would fail in the mission of education.

    The failure to your point is would Trinity students suddenly become idiots overnight? I hardly think so. Rather, I would strongly suggest that if the entire student body was placed into public schools and there would result a trend of positive test scores, thereby making the schools a success. Or are you making another point?

  3. #393

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    I have been told NO for us...

    That was my experience as well, but I thought maybe I just didn't know.

  4. #394
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Question for those of us "in the know" with the Jefferson County Private schools, specifically, Trinity and St. X.

    Do these schools accept federal monies for reduced/free lunches?
    Not from Louisville. But I know Covington Holy Cross being a inner city Catholic school accepts fedearl lunch aid. A good chunk of the students are elgible.

  5. #395

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    IF we are to take your post to the position you make, then what you are suggesting is if the entire student populations of say, Trinity, St. X, etc. were to transfer to public schools, these schools would fail - and I am taking you to mean - they would fail in the mission of education.

    The failure to your point is would Trinity students suddenly become idiots overnight? I hardly think so. Rather, I would strongly suggest that if the entire student body was placed into public schools and there would result a trend of positive test scores, thereby making the schools a success. Or are you making another point?
    Silver-

    I think what he was saying is that that first year, month, or week will be very chaotic. I am talking to the point you would have to hire police or extra security for crowded hallways. I am telling you it would be disasterous.

  6. #396
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    So it is the same financial aid no matter which Catholic School you would attend? For example, you enroll in St. X and in November you parents move to NKY and you attend St. Henry. Would the same financial aid move with you or do you repeat the process?
    Cov Diocese has a different system than Louisville. I'm pretty sure the individual schools are allocated certain amounts of money to hand out on financial aid on their own. But it is still handled by a 3rd party.

  7. #397
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    I believe it is directly tied to the school that the student would attend and the amount of money "in the pot" for that school.

    So a student going to say Notre Dame might receive $2000 of the over $6000 tuition and a student going to Holy Cross might receive $1800 of the $4200 tutition. I assume that if the funds are running low that a student might get less in some years than others.
    Because of the location of Holy Cross, I've seen students recieve alot more financial aid than that. They have a work program and any student who recieves fiancial aid is required to do a certain amount of physcial work around the school during non-school hours. All based on the amount of money you were rewarded.

  8. #398

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    Silver-

    I think what he was saying is that that first year, month, or week will be very chaotic. I am talking to the point you would have to hire police or extra security for crowded hallways. I am telling you it would be disasterous.
    This is such a non issue it is silly. It is equal to say vouchers are now available and private schools thrive, close public schools and private schools must pick up the difference. It would never happen and to suppose it as an issue is not effective.

  9. #399

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    This is such a non issue it is silly. It is equal to say vouchers are now available and private schools thrive, close public schools and private schools must pick up the difference. It would never happen and to suppose it as an issue is not effective.
    Well I am telling you I have seen it. Which ever school system gets flooded will have a very choatic time. Let's leave this system the way it is and vote to keep it like it is. If not I am telling you the catholic schools will benefit and will leave the KHSAA and then they do not have to follow KHSAA rules and thr recruiting will begin big time. Then the public schools will be very upset now. I am not being biased. I want my school to play the public schools, but I am telling you the private schools will not be part of the KHSAA if this vote is down. If you think the "recruiting" is bad now, wait until this happens. Again I am just forseeing something that will happen. Yes, it will be a big issue. I promise.

  10. #400

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    IF we are to take your post to the position you make, then what you are suggesting is if the entire student populations of say, Trinity, St. X, etc. were to transfer to public schools, these schools would fail - and I am taking you to mean - they would fail in the mission of education.

    The failure to your point is would Trinity students suddenly become idiots overnight? I hardly think so. Rather, I would strongly suggest that if the entire student body was placed into public schools and there would result a trend of positive test scores, thereby making the schools a success. Or are you making another point?

    No but the teacher/student ratio, would be out the window...

  11. #401
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    This is directly off Covington Holy Cross's website.
    Tuition Assistance Program
    Holy Cross High School has a “Tuition Assistance/Work Study Program” so that families in need of financial help do not have to deny their children a Catholic education. This program is administered by the principal of the high school and is over seen by the Board of Education through a financial aid committee.

    As part of the process, families applying for tuition assistance are required to complete a financial aid application. Holy Cross High School uses PSAS (Private School Aid Service) to evaluate these applications and to assist in the determination of tuition assistance awards.

  12. #402

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    No but the teacher/student ratio, would be out the window...
    OK

    I will try and explain. Due to the immediate impact with ADA funds to the impacted school, the state REQUIRED student/teacher ratios cannot change, so there would be new teacher positions hired immediately. NO public school in KY can accept new students and be exempt from the ratios. Regardless of how extreme the impact would be, the funding process and class determination is already in place. However, it is still not a realistic point, is it? Nobody is closing, etc. But, if it happens, that is how it would occur. This is not a prediction, just a follow of the rules already in place.

    I understand most, if not all people do not know how funding works. So I am sorry for the detail above.

  13. #403

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    Don't forget when you point your finger you got three pointing right back at you. The Catholic schools do not HATE the public schools. It is a matter of religion. That is a totally different discussion, back to athletics. If these public school administrators would listen to their kids I guarantee you they would say we want to play the private schools. Isn't it funny we adults ruin these kids lives. I think the kids ought to decide. They should descide based off facts and the future of the KHSAA not from emotion like we are doing. I know people on this post will say you and just you are doing it. I will take all blame for everyone's emotion because it is going to roll off my back and my feelings will not get hurt.
    Are you saying that every student/athlete attending Catholic schools do for religious purposes? If so, why did two young ladies attend a public school in NKY, play varsity basketball for that school throughout middle school and in their freshmen year when eligibility is establish start attending a Catholic school? I am sure most students DO ATTEND because of faith reasons, but I would also assume that not all do.

  14. #404

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Location
    The Ville
    Posts
    710

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Are you saying that every student/athlete attending Catholic schools do for religious purposes? If so, why did two young ladies attend a public school in NKY, play varsity basketball for that school throughout middle school and in their freshmen year when eligibility is establish start attending a Catholic school? I am sure most students DO ATTEND because of faith reasons, but I would also assume that not all do.
    Before you make that assumption you probably should ask one or two of those students. I know of several Private High School students who did NOT attend Private Elementary Schools. Most did it to save the money for the private High School in order to get their kids ready for college.

  15. #405

    Join Date
    Jul 05
    Location
    The Ville
    Posts
    710

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    That is a totally different discussion, back to athletics. If these public school administrators would listen to their kids I guarantee you they would say we want to play the private schools. Isn't it funny we adults ruin these kids lives. I think the kids ought to decide. They should descide based off facts and the future of the KHSAA not from emotion like we are doing. I know people on this post will say you and just you are doing it. I will take all blame for everyone's emotion because it is going to roll off my back and my feelings will not get hurt.
    Rambo, this is the same point I made earlier when I said the kids are what matters. This whole discussion stemmed from sports. Let's face it the majority of these kids will NOT play sports beyond High School. So what is the difference if one plays for a private or a public school?

    One more point on the private school tuition assistance. It is just that: ASSISTANCE It's not a free ride. Those families STILL have to pay something to attend the school. The public school would be FREE. In almost all cases the student is required to do Work Study to help pay the difference. It's other 2 of the 3 "T's". (Time, Talent and Treasure.)

Top