Another private school post season play vote?

Page 25 of Originally Posted by westsider To a certain extent, I would disagree with that. I think athletes want a chance to compete for a championship. My gues i... 410 comments | 15916 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #361

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo4343
    I think you want the catholic schools to fail. It is not Catholic Church has been here for 2000 years. Good Luck!!
    I will let my friends and family know I do not support the catholic schools according to Rambo4343. It will help with savings on donations big time. Appreciate the insight!
    Advertisement

  2. #362

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach


    One side note question not directed to All Play No Work but can a private school accept free and reduced lunch/breakfast reimbursement funds? If so, is there a tie in to accepting state funds that the school now falls under the state guidelines for testing, etc of schools?
    No. These are federal funds. Not state funds.

  3. #363

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    You would be wrong with this misconception. Kids in public schools can pray. Simply it cannot be lead by the teachers or a representative of the schools. There are Bible studies, WWJD clubs, See you at the Pole events that are Christian based in public schools. And as the old saying goes, "As long as there are tests in public schools, there will be prayers."
    And its exercise is becoming more common than most people believe!

  4. #364

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    No. These are federal funds. Not state funds.
    Are you saying NO private schools cannot accept the funds or NO they are federal funds and not state funds.

    There are a lot of funds that private schools COULD accept but come with strings attached. If you accept this funds, than you have to follow our procedures, testing, etc, etc.

  5. #365

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Are you saying NO private schools cannot accept the funds or NO they are federal funds and not state funds.

    There are a lot of funds that private schools COULD accept but come with strings attached. If you accept this funds, than you have to follow our procedures, testing, etc, etc.

    NO - they are federal funds and not state funds.

    Yes to second paragraph. There are always strings attached to any money that is provided - private, social, government, etc. Yes they could accept and chose not to. Their option. Also, sometimes the strings are such a burden a challenge happens, as in NCLB lawsuits that are going on.

  6. #366

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    NO - they are federal funds and not state funds.

    Yes to second paragraph. There are always strings attached to any money that is provided - private, social, government, etc. Yes they could accept and chose not to. Their option. Also, sometimes the strings are such a burden a challenge happens, as in NCLB lawsuits that are going on.
    Thank you. I figured that was the way it was and agree that sometimes the strings attached end up doing some choking along the way.

    One of the key problems with public education is politicians. It is an easy way to get votes. Rail against the supposed horrendous job the public schools are doing and promise to change it. And then get elected and you have to follow through with some new or old and being recycled plan for education. So as long as you have unqualified individuals, POLITICIANS, deciding the route of schools, there will be problems.

  7. #367

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Thank you for corrected me and educating me. I did not know how that worked.

    So does the funds come from that school or a representative directly tied with that school? The money through reduced and free lunch does not come from the local district and is not tied to whether the student can attend the public school or not. Are the financial aid funds for Catholic schools tied to their attendance in a Catholic school?

    Is this the same procedure for private schools that are not Catholic?


    One side note question not directed to All Play No Work but can a private school accept free and reduced lunch/breakfast reimbursement funds? If so, is there a tie in to accepting state funds that the school now falls under the state guidelines for testing, etc of schools?

    I can't answer all of your questions but I'll tell you what I think I know.

    Catholic school students can receive reduced lunch monies/reimbursement and I will assume there is not a tie-in to state testing since there is none.

    As for Financial Aid funding. The schools themselves provide the funds through things like endowments, fund raisers, alumni donations, other donations etc. So if school A has $100,000 this year to give and 75 students apply for financial aid, the agency deciding knows the numbers they have to work with.
    There is no tie in with attendance if I understand what you are asking. In other words, a student doen't have to be there 95% of the days to get your $2000 financial aid, or the school does not receive so much per day based on the student's attendance.

  8. #368

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    I can't answer all of your questions but I'll tell you what I think I know.

    Catholic school students can receive reduced lunch monies/reimbursement and I will assume there is not a tie-in to state testing since there is none.

    As for Financial Aid funding. The schools themselves provide the funds through things like endowments, fund raisers, alumni donations, other donations etc. So if school A has $100,000 this year to give and 75 students apply for financial aid, the agency deciding knows the numbers they have to work with.
    There is no tie in with attendance if I understand what you are asking. In other words, a student doen't have to be there 95% of the days to get your $2000 financial aid, or the school does not receive so much per day based on the student's attendance.
    My question was not on attendance on a daily basis but attending that school. The tuition is directly tied to attending a particular school, correct? Or would you receive the same financial aid no matter which of the Catholic schools in NKY you attended?

  9. #369

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews, Home of the 2006 and 17 time KY State Champion Trinity Shamrocks
    Posts
    6,464

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    No, your senario is simply a dream. "public schools fail..." Says all it needs to say. As for the growth nickel, it still is cheaper than tuition. Regardless, deal with facts vs. fiction. It would probably make your points better.
    No, my senario isn't a dream its a nightmare for all involved. Newsflash, I'm aware of the fact that public school is cheaper than tuition even if there would be a great increase in the public school population. However, that is because the tax burden would be proposed over a cross section of residents that don't use the services directly. If you think that the people of Kentucky would welcome a tax increase of any kind you are out of touch with reality. Thats fact not fiction. I am also aware that I pay double for my kids education. I do this because I feel that the public schools fail to provide my kids with the kind of education that I feel is important. When you stack Kentucky's public schools against public schools nationwide, if you can make an argument that they are anything but failing you must have some pretty good oratory skills.Please save the speech about recent improvements, where are we now? So I would suggest that you heed your own advice and take a little ride on the reality train.

  10. #370

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Thank you. I figured that was the way it was and agree that sometimes the strings attached end up doing some choking along the way.

    One of the key problems with public education is politicians. It is an easy way to get votes. Rail against the supposed horrendous job the public schools are doing and promise to change it. And then get elected and you have to follow through with some new or old and being recycled plan for education. So as long as you have unqualified individuals, POLITICIANS, deciding the route of schools, there will be problems.
    Actually, you are part right. You need to give credit, where credit is due. In virtually all cases across the country, it was the elected officials - School Board members - who had the courage and risk to file lawsuits on education change and improvement. State elected officials have done a horrible job - especially those in NorKY, save for Jon Draud.

    I agree with you if your point is based at this group.

    The end result, nationwide is the actions of school boards suing their states to create change. The vast majority of states educational policy in the past decade/two decades is the result of legal actions, not legislative ones. Hopefully, the pending suits in KY continue and make it happen again.

  11. #371

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverShadow
    Actually, you are part right. You need to give credit, where credit is due. In virtually all cases across the country, it was the elected officials - School Board members - who had the courage and risk to file lawsuits on education change and improvement. State elected officials have done a horrible job - especially those in NorKY, save for Jon Draud.

    I agree with you if your point is based at this group.

    The end result, nationwide is the actions of school boards suing their states to create change. The vast majority of states educational policy in the past decade/two decades is the result of legal actions, not legislative ones. Hopefully, the pending suits in KY continue and make it happen again.
    Exactamuendo. State and national politicians NOT local school board.

  12. #372

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    dawg pound!
    Posts
    2,568

    Quote Originally Posted by LSURock
    No, my senario isn't a dream its a nightmare for all involved. Newsflash, I'm aware of the fact that public school is cheaper than tuition even if there would be a great increase in the public school population. However, that is because the tax burden would be proposed over a cross section of residents that don't use the services directly. If you think that the people of Kentucky would welcome a tax increase of any kind you are out of touch with reality. Thats fact not fiction. I am also aware that I pay double for my kids education. I do this because I feel that the public schools fail to provide my kids with the kind of education that I feel is important. When you stack Kentucky's public schools against public schools nationwide, if you can make an argument that they are anything but failing you must have some pretty good oratory skills.Please save the speech about recent improvements, where are we now? So I wold suggest that you heed your own advice and take a little ride on the reality train.
    OK, will make sure the citizens of Ft. Thomas and Southgate who supported higher taxes join your reality train as well. Also, the ongoing support for schools in our entire area - NorKY. Maybe that is why we are at the top of the state - not only in a geographical sense but in a community sense as well!

  13. #373

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Question for those of us "in the know" with the Jefferson County Private schools, specifically, Trinity and St. X.

    Do these schools accept federal monies for reduced/free lunches?

  14. #374

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    My question was not on attendance on a daily basis but attending that school. The tuition is directly tied to attending a particular school, correct? Or would you receive the same financial aid no matter which of the Catholic schools in NKY you attended?


    Parents fill out a standard financial aid form, that from my experience, is the same regardless of the school you attend. It's sent to the Archdiocese, and it's evaluated by a third party firm. The form contains no information identifying the student, their grades, or their activities. Parents are required to submit their financial data and the evaluation is and the award determined upon that form.

  15. #375

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Parents fill out a standard financial aid form, that from my experience, is the same regardless of the school you attend. It's sent to the Archdiocese, and it's evaluated by a third party firm. The form contains no information identifying the student, their grades, or their activities. Parents are required to submit their financial data and the evaluation is and the award determined upon that form.
    So it is the same financial aid no matter which Catholic School you would attend? For example, you enroll in St. X and in November you parents move to NKY and you attend St. Henry. Would the same financial aid move with you or do you repeat the process?

Top