Another private school post season play vote?

Page 11 of Originally Posted by westsider To a certain extent, I would disagree with that. I think athletes want a chance to compete for a championship. My gues i... 410 comments | 15907 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #151
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by EastSideJunkie
    A few thoughts

    1. Excuse me to all my female friends and fellow teachers of the game in the "minor" sports but if anyone thinks this is about anything but football you are sadly mistaken. The bottom line is most people out there could care less about volleyball, cross country, golf, tennis or soccer. Sure, those athletes work just as hard as the others but in the whole scheme of things they don't mean a great deal to anyone unless you - or your child - plays them. This is about 4-A football - and only that because no private school dominates basketball the way they do on the gridiron.

    2. Why is Meade County so hot and bothered by this issue right now? Just curious because is there even a private school near there?

    3. I for one think this might pass this time. I'd hate to see if because it would ruin a good thing. But in education there's a difference when the superintendents get involved. They have more pull. How would you like to be a principal or AD and have your boss tell you to vote for it or even suggest it and then you not and it comes out. Ouch!

    4. Bottom line is if it happenes and privates go out on their own. Watch out. Can you imagine some of the things that could happen without the KHSAA rules and those schools having a private school league. Wow! Micheal Bush and Sergio Spencer could have both been on that same team with Brohm and McBroom and I guarantee the private schools basketball programs would get drastically better if that happened!
    It really is the worst case "be careful what you ask for" situation...
    Advertisement

  2. #152
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    It really is the worst case "be careful what you ask for" situation...
    Amen!! Watch out because you'll create your own monster!!

  3. #153

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    The last "big town" before you leave Kentucky ...
    Posts
    22,986

    Quote Originally Posted by EastSideJunkie
    1. Excuse me to all my female friends and fellow teachers of the game in the "minor" sports but if anyone thinks this is about anything but football you are sadly mistaken. The bottom line is most people out there could care less about volleyball, cross country, golf, tennis or soccer. Sure, those athletes work just as hard as the others but in the whole scheme of things they don't mean a great deal to anyone unless you - or your child - plays them. This is about 4-A football - and only that because no private school dominates basketball the way they do on the gridiron.
    I agree, to a certain extent. The high school sports world, as a general rule, still revolves around football and basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by EastSideJunkie
    2. Why is Meade County so hot and bothered by this issue right now? Just curious because is there even a private school near there?
    I assume that's a rhetorical question. It's pretty obvious what Meade County's motivation is ... when you're a rural county school in the same football region as St. Xavier, it's a tough task to advance to the semifinals. And even if they got to the finals, Trinity would likely be waiting for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by EastSideJunkie
    3. I for one think this might pass this time. I'd hate to see if because it would ruin a good thing. But in education there's a difference when the superintendents get involved. They have more pull. How would you like to be a principal or AD and have your boss tell you to vote for it or even suggest it and then you not and it comes out. Ouch!
    I hope it doesn't pass. Trinity and St. Xavier and perhaps Lexington Catholic could survive without the KHSAA, but the other, smaller and less-funded private schools probably couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by EastSideJunkie
    4. Bottom line is if it happenes and privates go out on their own. Watch out. Can you imagine some of the things that could happen without the KHSAA rules and those schools having a private school league. Wow! Micheal Bush and Sergio Spencer could have both been on that same team with Brohm and McBroom and I guarantee the private schools basketball programs would get drastically better if that happened!
    I'm not so sure. Without the allure of a potential state championship, I would think the private schools would suffer a bit. Of course, you're closer to the situation than I am.

  4. #154
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by LSURock
    Tenn. split up football a few years ago. About the same time they started losing to Kentucky in the All-Star game. Tenn. has slipped year after year since the split.
    Montgomery Bell and a couple others haven't. They've gotten better and will continue to do so!!

  5. #155
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    Montgomery Bell and a couple others haven't. They've gotten better and will continue to do so!!
    But MBA never backed down from a solid opponent, and the series with T shows they want to be the best, not hide behind an "even" playing field...

  6. #156
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Football probably not many. But you check the KHSAA website and the championships for the other sports and you will see a DOMINATION by private schools. At one time, I believe 2 or 3 years ago, Sacred Heart in Louisville held the girls TEAM trophies in volleyball, soccer, basketball and competed in the state tournament in softball.
    How do they stack up sizewise vs. the rest of the KY high schools?

  7. #157
    Mayfieldsportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Pride and Tradition NEVER Graduate!
    Posts
    5,855

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsfan
    I read and understand where you're coming from. That's all I need to know.

    I responded only to your words at face value. No more. No less.

  8. #158

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews, Home of the 2006 and 17 time KY State Champion Trinity Shamrocks
    Posts
    6,464

    [QUOTE=Conqueror6]No Sir, apology not required. Thank you for admitting to being the second prime example of a father that is proud of your childs acheivement. You, my friend? Not likely. I would not be caught in the company of someone who goes for the prize, not caring who they knock down and step on in the process. Count me out, I would rather my offspring learn character building lessons while on the losing team. That is where they will learn about fairness, true sportmanship, and also get their fair share of playing time.[/QUOTE

    Since you choose not to accept PMs, I'll respond publicly. I offered no apology. The phrase meant, excuse me but you are wrong. Just like the "my friend" phrase was made with sarcasm. The rest of your post is just plain ignorance. Thats when you speak without knowing the facts. Not an insult, just my assessment of your comments. So according to you, my son as well as all sons that ever played sports at Trinity, X, etc. learned nothing of character from the experience? You also contend that only players on losing teams (not teams that suffer some losses) learn about fairness, true sportsmanship, and also get their FAIR SHARE OF PLAYING TIME. So now you inculude programs like Male, Highlands, Boyle, Danville, etc. since they win more than their fair share. I've got a solution, why not keep playing the games but lets not keep score and have rules that everyone gets to play equal minutes just like in Tee Ball. BTW, thats sarcasm again. Now that I've seen your true colors, I understand your position. You just want to lower the bar rather than raise it. Sorry my friend (ther I go again), but I'm very satisfied with my decision to send my kids to parochial schools if for no other reason than to shelter them from attitudes like yours.

  9. #159
    Conqueror6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    22

    Bottom line is:

    We all have our opinions on this subject. My opinion may not be the most popular one but I've tried to defend it. As far as someone suggesting a change in where one attends school to be on a winning team. What do you call that? That word that nobody wants to hear or see in print.

    I've probably done a lousy job at trying to give my point. With all the criticism I've received, you still won't see me change my opinion or buckle under the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" pressure.

  10. #160

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    St. Matthews, Home of the 2006 and 17 time KY State Champion Trinity Shamrocks
    Posts
    6,464

    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror6
    Bottom line is:

    We all have our opinions on this subject. My opinion may not be the most popular one but I've tried to defend it. As far as someone suggesting a change in where one attends school to be on a winning team. What do you call that? That word that nobody wants to hear or see in print.

    I've probably done a lousy job at trying to give my point. With all the criticism I've received, you still won't see me change my opinion or buckle under the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" pressure.
    You must have me cofused with someone else. Never did I post that my son attended Trinity to be on a winning team. In fact he enrolled at Trinity at a time when they were doing about as poorly in football as they had ever done in their recent history. All I'm saying is that character can be built in many ways. Winning and losing builds certain elements. Frankly, I didn't rely on my kids school for such things. You should know that a great number of the kids on the Trinity and X roster wouldn't be stars at another school. Many of the kids just really enjoy the fellowship and sense of team spirit that is involved on those teams. I guess you could say that we have more than our fair share of "Rudys".

  11. #161
    leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 01
    Posts
    10,828

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Did you even read the 3rd paragraph or just get so perturbed that you stopped at the first 2???????

    Remember I responded to the mindset that said public schools have a harder time competing because of the incompetence of coaches. While that may be true in some cases, there are other situations for RURAL counties that make it difficult to compete against public schools in large metro areas and private schools.

    So perturbed at the fallacy of the 2nd para or wherever it was in your post that I didn't bother to read any further. No one will deny that some schools have advantages over the other. The difference is that a lot of folks think those advantages were earned not given. Do mention the large alumni groups of St X or T as an advantage. Many many schools have more graduates. Energize them. I know it won't be easy, but do it anyway. If you are committed to doing it, it will get done. If there are zero golf courses in your county, pick up your golfers one aweek during the off season and drive them to the closest golf course even if its in the next county.

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Since it is all about football.............why would private schools voted out have to align as "schools" anymore?

    Why couldn't a league of private "teams" be formed?

    Consider:

    Team 1: Trinity
    Team 2: St. X
    Team 3: Lou. Holy Cross/ DeSales/ CAL
    Team 4: LexCath/ LCA
    Team 5: CovCath/NewCath/Cov. Holy Cross

    (I know I missed some private schools)

    Plus I see no reason why students at say St. Henry or Brossart wouldn't join Team 5 for football.

    Actually I see no reason why a student at say Dunbar wouldn't be free to join Team 4 and not play for Dunbar if they wanted to.

    I think these 5 teams would find many private Ohio, Tenn., and Indiana teams to wanting to play, considering teams like Cincinnati Moeller had to play Canadian teams to fill out their schedule.

  13. #163
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    I believe TN does. If I remember the story right a private school was dominating the state championship, year in and year out and they switched to separate private/public classes.
    I believe you're right--Montgomery Bell of Chattanooga and Brentwood Academy of Nashville were dominating athletics in TN; so they separated the publics and privates to "stop those schools from having an advantage". Guess what the results are now. These programs are now far more dominant while competing on a regional scale, while athletes in the public/majotity of private schools are competing for a watered down title!! Tennessee now is routinely losing state all-star games they used to win, such as KY vs. TN in football.

    Bottom line--The rich got richer!! Once again, watch out what you wish for!!

  14. #164
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Since it is all about football.............why would private schools voted out have to align as "schools" anymore?

    Why couldn't a league of private "teams" be formed?

    Consider:

    Team 1: Trinity
    Team 2: St. X
    Team 3: Lou. Holy Cross/ DeSales/ CAL
    Team 4: LexCath/ LCA
    Team 5: CovCath/NewCath/Cov. Holy Cross

    (I know I missed some private schools)

    Plus I see no reason why students at say St. Henry or Brossart wouldn't join Team 5 for football.

    Actually I see no reason why a student at say Dunbar wouldn't be free to join Team 4 and not play for Dunbar if they wanted to.

    I think these 5 teams would find many private Ohio, Tenn., and Indiana teams to wanting to play, considering teams like Cincinnati Moeller had to play Canadian teams to fill out their schedule.
    Interesting ideas All Work. One problem many seem to be missing is the concept that ALL private schools have unlimited resources?? This simply isn't true and in fact, the VAST MAJORITY of private schools are working with FAR LESS resources than most public schools!! Playing a regional schedule is very expensive and most private schools are already working on limited budgets as it is.

  15. #165

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    If Bill Gates decided to open a computer company and take on IBM, do you think IBM had an advantage over him? Was he able to compete against them? Something to think about.

    With that said, I do believe that the private schools have some very significant advantages. They have to because they also have a nearly $8,000 per year disadvantage. It only stands to reason that they must have some advantages that overcome the $8,000 disadvantage. I think that the thing that gets me upset about this conversation is that the advantages of the private schools are self generated. I have trouble when people say that the private schools have more resources, since we generate those resources ourselves, AFTER we have paid for the tuition. A school like Trinity is able to exist and be open to all economic classes only because there are many folks that have a very strong belief that what Trinity provides is worth preserving and continue to provide generous support long after they graduate. My sons have graduated, but now I need to make sure that Trinity is there for my grandsons. When someone says that the private schools have more resources, I wonder how they voted on the last school tax referendum? When was the last time they wrote out a check to their school's library? When was the last time they wrote out a check to their school's athletic program? When was the last time they worked or attended a fund raiser? I know that many will say that they do all of those things. Will you still be doing it long after your children have graduated? Will you sill be doing it when your high school years are only a distant memory? I received a copy of the Trinity Leader yesterday. As always, the list of donations from long ago graduates is amazing.

    For those that believe that the private schools are only for the rich, think about this. About forty percent of the Trinity students receive financial aid. On top of that, generous donations keep the tuition about $2,000 below the actual cost of the education.

    If you want more resources for your school, start a petition to raise school taxes. Start a campaign to create an endowment for your school system. Make the first check to the endowment yours.

    By the way, this post is not directed at LBBC. The response to the Bill Gates comment is the only part that was directed at LBBC.

    I agree with TA. The advantages I mention are a direct result of the commitment to education that the private school parents show. (There are equal committed parents at public schools but not at the same quantity) Also, the hard work and proud legacy they build at their schools.

    Should they be penalized for those? I find it extremely hard to say yes to that question for any logical reason.

Top